Random epic lag spikes

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Bloodedblade

Random epic lag spikes

Post by Bloodedblade » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:58 pm

I’ve been experiencing some wicked lag randomly. My party doesn’t usually experience it at the same time. Ive got fiber optic internet pulling at 60 meg down load with at least 10 upload. Any ideas or suggestions for settings. I’m open to anything. Thanks for any light shed on this. I’ve turned off the shiny water already.

Dirac

Re: Random epic lag spikes

Post by Dirac » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:43 pm

The upload and download speeds between you and your ISP is completely different from your connection to the Arileth servers which are not in the US and are more dependent on successful packet transfer. You could run a traceroute or basically run pings to the Arileth server to see the performance.

Bloodedblade

Post by Bloodedblade » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:40 pm

I appreciate the fast reply. I have no idea how to do any of that. I feel like a proper Luddite even reading it. I understand at least why it could be happening now so thanks for that. 👍

naturaly

Post by naturaly » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:53 am

Have at&t in USA? Apparently that is very laggy on arelith and people say to use a vpn to reduce lag.

Griefmaker

Post by Griefmaker » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:37 am

naturaly wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:53 am
Have at&t in USA? Apparently that is very laggy on arelith and people say to use a vpn to reduce lag.
Sadly, I am in this boat. We had Comcast and things were smooth sailing, then went to AT&T once the contract expired and Comcast wanted us to pay out the nose. Since then, crushing lag unless I VPN into a London server.