Epic Focus + Spell Necromancy Value

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

MisterMadara

Epic Focus + Spell Necromancy Value

Post by MisterMadara » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:31 pm

I am looking to make my new character a Sorc or a Cleric that has focus in Necromancy.

But then, I am wondering if it really lives up to it's expectations in PvE and PvP compared to a Greater Ruin, Hellball combo. Has anyone got any advice or knowledge about the Necromancy path and it's worth? Thank you in advance.

Baron Saturday

Re: Epic Focus + Spell Necromancy Value

Post by Baron Saturday » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:44 pm

I would honestly recommend necromancy over gruin/hell all any day of the week. Pick up Mummy Dust for an excellent trio of summons, especially when they're powered up by ESF Necro and cleric buffs. Very handy in PvE and PvP alike. You'll almost certainly get more value than you would with a gruin/hellball combo.

Edited for accuracy, thanks for the reminder about epic caster levels, nulstaris.
Last edited by Baron Saturday on Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

MisterMadara

Post by MisterMadara » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:47 pm

Thank you Baron. A little bit off topic.. But.. If you know, I would greatly appreciate the answer. With a -1 CHA Modifier would I need to take 31 UMD in order to achieve the 30 UMD required for a Lesser Moon Blade, or, would 30 with the -1 still work?

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:56 pm

You would need 31. Bear in mind that you'll be somewhat vulnerable to anything that decreases skills or charisma further, though I'm not sure if a moonblade would automatically unequip if your UMD was reduced below 30.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Nulstarius

Post by Nulstarius » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:56 am

Baron Saturday wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:44 pm
I would honestly recommend necromancy over gruin/hell all any day of the week. Pick up Mummy Dust for an excellent trio of summons, especially when they're powered up by ESF Necro, epic caster levels, and cleric buffs. Very handy in PvE and PvP alike. You'll almost certainly get more value than you would with a gruin/hellball combo.
Just to nitpick ever so slightly, since mummy dust definitely is a great spell, but it does not benefit from epic caster lvl progression, like the epic dragon knight or gate, elemental swarm and so on, mummy dust only benefits from spell foci. It's still super though, and well worth it, even if you do not have necro foci.
Imagination is more important than knowledge. - Albert Einstein.

Joheshua

Post by Joheshua » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:44 pm

Nulstarius wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:56 am
Baron Saturday wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:44 pm
I would honestly recommend necromancy over gruin/hell all any day of the week. Pick up Mummy Dust for an excellent trio of summons, especially when they're powered up by ESF Necro, epic caster levels, and cleric buffs. Very handy in PvE and PvP alike. You'll almost certainly get more value than you would with a gruin/hellball combo.
Just to nitpick ever so slightly, since mummy dust definitely is a great spell, but it does not benefit from epic caster lvl progression, like the epic dragon knight or gate, elemental swarm and so on, mummy dust only benefits from spell foci. It's still super though, and well worth it, even if you do not have necro foci.
What benefit does the Necro Foci give to the mummy dust?

Maladus

Post by Maladus » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:55 pm

http://wiki.arelith.com/Summoning_Changes

There is a section on that page that describes the benefits of spell focus on summons.

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:20 am

Baron Saturday wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:56 pm
You would need 31. Bear in mind that you'll be somewhat vulnerable to anything that decreases skills or charisma further, though I'm not sure if a moonblade would automatically unequip if your UMD was reduced below 30.
It doesn't, you'll keep items that need a UMD equipped, but you obviously can't re-equip it until your UMD returns to being enough.

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)