Pacts

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

The Greater Good

Pacts

Post by The Greater Good » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:09 pm

More of a dm question. Looking over the IG fey warlock pact "text" such as it is, the wording is pretty specific. An ability that aids others, implied to be bard song, and an oath to defend nature in QoADs name. Is there more to the pact than that? It's always been my understanding that, no, but I see this sold soul thing come up everywhere.

I know that's the classic pact with a demon answer, but I'm not sure what the IG devil/Demon pact text is. It's been a long minute since I've had one of those pact ig.
Monte Cook wrote:The idea here is that the game just gives the rules, and players figure out the ins and outs for themselves -- players are rewarded for achieving mastery of the rules and making good choices rather than poor ones.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Re: Pacts

Post by The GrumpyCat » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:30 pm

Officialy speaking, yes, that's all that's mechanically given up - the implied bardsong and having to give an oath to defend QoAD (or some sub unseely fey type beast)
However, if you wish to rp more than that then you are certainly free to do that!

It should be pointed out also that your character is agreeing, at least theoreticaly, to server an outsider agent of pure evil in return for power. As such, even if 'your soul,' was not implicit in the deal, probably won't be putting you on Santa's Good list any time soon, if you know what I mean. (Hence why warlocks are always Neutral and/or Evil.)
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:33 pm

You can make a bargain with any kind of fey you want. My feylock was someone pacted to a Redcap, for example. She had a number of compulsions:

1. Finish everything on the plate/glass that she was served (a really easy way to have been poisoned); gluttony
2. Overindulgence in everything; more gluttony
3. Naturally, a compulsion towards beating things to a pulp and consuming them afterwards; even more gluttony

There was something else she was supposed to do, in that she traded power in exchange for the above compulsions plus she had to find the redcap the perfect meal in a grand dinner party once a year.

The nice thing about Fey lore in FR is it is so undefined so you can really draw from a ton of sources to create your own pact. Changeling: The Lost has been my favourite source.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

DM Sollers

Post by DM Sollers » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:04 pm

Hello, The Greater Good.

Fey pacts are as dangerous as demon/devil pacts. As Grumpycat said, the Unseelie are evil creatures to the core and you are willingly choosing to serve a purely evil being. This creature will make requests of the warlock to further its master's agenda and garner reputation for itself. At first, they may seem small or innocuous to the pacted, but everything is done with care. Like any pact might, the requests worsen as time goes on, whether violent or manipulative.

I suggest reading these to get a feel for the nature of the fey warlock pact.

"The Crux of the Matter" by BlackVelvetBand

BlackVelvetBand personifies the fey pact. I will always suggest this short story when somebody asks how a fey warlock's pact works or how it effects them.

"A Guide for Young Ladies Entering the Service of the Faeries" by Rosamund Hodge

I did not know of this piece until joining Arelith, but I find it to be well-written and apt in describing the relationships between servants and master.

DM Sollers
Be kind.

The Greater Good

Post by The Greater Good » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:08 pm

Thanks for all this. Question answered pretty succinctly though, also thanks for that.
Monte Cook wrote:The idea here is that the game just gives the rules, and players figure out the ins and outs for themselves -- players are rewarded for achieving mastery of the rules and making good choices rather than poor ones.