language learning

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

BishopKnight

language learning

Post by BishopKnight » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:03 am

So I dont know what exactly is the newest way to learn the languages. I remember before i had to spend 9 months with a phrasebook and have an active teacher teach me along with playing daily and role playing almost an hour of me learning the language. I see it seems like things may have changed there. In either case I have a dwarvish phrase book and a gnomish phrasebook on the same toon. only to learn the dwarvish so I assume that means get rid of the other book. I am wondering if I still need an active teacher and to inform a DM that I am learning or is it like stated in the "languages" topic updated in 2016?

Bryce Silver-Wind

Re: language learning

Post by Bryce Silver-Wind » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:14 am

Basically, you can learn 1 language per natural bonus point of Int, so if you have for example 14 int, you can learn 2.

You can learn all those languages at the exact same time with no issues, but you will need a fluent teacher speaking it to you as it is learned over time. Lore and Int and gift of tongues effect how fast you learn this. Legend Lore no longer works for this but foxes cunning can still help.

DM's don't get involved in language learning unless there's a mechanical issue.

Keep both books on you. As said you can learn both books at the same time, also languages are now saved on your character rather then in the Phrasebooks. So losing the books will not lose your progress in the languages.