Underdark RP-Landscape

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Montka

Underdark RP-Landscape

Post by Montka » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:00 am

Hello there!
Recently i have been thinking about creating a character in the underdark, more specifically a drow.

So i was cooking up a bunch of rough concept which i'd like to play but began to wonder:
What does the "class-balance" in the drow society look like? I mean, i wouldn't want to add just another lolth priestess to the mix or likewise be just drow wizard number X, etc..

I hope a few players from down there can share with me what their perceived state of this balance is so that i could create a concept that could fit in nicely!
Thanks in advance!

Jagel

Re: Underdark RP-Landscape

Post by Jagel » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:12 am

It varies greatly. Pick something you want to play as the class/concept that is most numerous now might be a rarity in just a few months.

If you are inexperienced playing drow I’d advice against playing a cleric unless you like a challenge

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:20 pm

Don't be a jerk and you'll be fine.

An easy way to get 'in' for example is to either join a side in a fight that broke out, or read the town crier/message boards and take up a non-guild assassin contract.
\

Black Wendigo

Post by Black Wendigo » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:42 am

DOn't join an ongoing fight unless you are well aware of what is going on. Ignorance in this , could lead to some unhappy consequences. Know what you are getting into and then you wont be blindsided.

strong yeet

Post by strong yeet » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:43 am

My advice is just not to think about it so hard. Play your character, see what's going on and what's up. Don't worry about "fitting in."

Capt.shadow

Post by Capt.shadow » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:37 pm

top poster is right character builds are a bit like trends one month you see a bunch of WM that make a up bulk of drow players or the next month it all be wizards doing the sorcer for a bit then suddenly clerics clerics every where. also dont join any fights unless you know whats going down, just takeing one side could shift whole heap of factions and players you dont know about aginst you even before you learned all the names. also yeah doing the drow cleric/temple person is a challange becouse the at the forfront of drow house politics would be the cleric's of lolth at the temple dont expect an easy ride, i seen lot of folk burn out doing the cleric thing as it can get demanding.

Best bet come up with a concept character you know you can play for fun or rp for the long term, then have them join a concept that matchs siad characters goals and aims.
few tips
1.Research the house you want to join or more on the point the matron.
2. Make sure your character can handle the surrounding area them selfs, encountering anouther person in the low level areas that is between lvl2-5 is kinda rare, so expect to carry yourself for the first few levels.
3.Female is harder than male, i personaly found its easyier to play a male since all they do is bow and not many are expected to do anything politicial or anything of notice in the drow circles.
4.might want to play a character that can supress there hate for lesser races since the city bulk is made up of them and your expected to share space with them.
5.you can never not know enough folk or have enough allies, never stop being social

but go in with your own concept otherwise you may find yourself bored even if you got into a faction or something, but my personal experince i say go in it for the long game, due to the shared space i have found that events done by one character or faction can ripple down the timeline effecting the city for the next year or more, so a long game concept can work really well in the city.

Maladus

Post by Maladus » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:54 pm

When coming up with a character, I would also advise that you give them a goal or motivation that isn’t tied to a singular faction unless that faction is a long time staple (The Temple of Lolth being a prime example). As a long time UD player and former Matron of a House that didn’t last very long, most factions come and go very quickly so if that faction were to go, your character is left with nothing left to do. It happened to me on a recent character and I hope to avoid that pitfall.
Last edited by Maladus on Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anatida
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Anatida » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:13 am

Long term factions would include the Temple of Lolth, the Melee Magthere and (Sorcere) Arcanum. Others come and go. While those may have more active and less active times they are always present OR ripe for someone to "take over and run with".

While it isnt the easiest thing to break into a new niche if your previous one fell apart, it IS possible. You just may have to rebuild some bridges or forge new territory.

The biggest hint is BE USEFUL. Drow will find reasons to seek you out and include you if they see you as useful. Some even have the motto "everyone can be used for something". So just go with the flow until you find something you enjoy!

GL and hope to see you soon!

My pronouns are: She/Her/That *itch

Red Ropes

Post by Red Ropes » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:27 am

strong yeet wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:43 am
My advice is just not to think about it so hard. Play your character, see what's going on and what's up. Don't worry about "fitting in."
You should be able to in theory be able to walk around as any race in the UD and just be an adventurer of the deep without having to worry about anything regardless of your concept. Have at it young lad.
🤡