Totem Ranger/Totem Druid

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Emotionaloverload
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Totem Ranger/Totem Druid

Post by Emotionaloverload » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:40 am

Hi.

I came across this question and I could use some help to clear up the disagreement.

The wiki says: A ranger that later multiclasses as druid will be able to -polymorph, but will never receive any of the other bonuses or penalties.

Okay, so this means that they don't take the bond physical stat penalties or get the special extras for picking a certain totem. Awesome. Got it.

Then it says: Also, the -polymorph will only use the druid levels for determining the power of the shape, ignoring the ranger levels.

Does this mean it will use regular druid shape power such as improved wildshape or will it use the increased totem shape scaling that ends with 38 STR/CON/DEX at 26+?

Thank you!
-S
Formerly; Echo Hemlocke-Ralkai, Joshua Colt, Namil Evanara, Elanor Shortwick, Sawyer Brook, Kaylessa Dree, Sines Oliver Selakiir, Birgitta Birdie Swordhill, Bella Weartherbee, Arael Laceflower, Corbin, Rupert Silveroak, Hadi the Slave and others.

The Kriv

Re: Totem Ranger/Totem Druid

Post by The Kriv » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:00 pm

Emotionaloverload wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:40 am
Hi.

I came across this question and I could use some help to clear up the disagreement.

The wiki says: A ranger that later multiclasses as druid will be able to -polymorph, but will never receive any of the other bonuses or penalties.

Okay, so this means that they don't take the bond physical stat penalties or get the special extras for picking a certain totem. Awesome. Got it.

Then it says: Also, the -polymorph will only use the druid levels for determining the power of the shape, ignoring the ranger levels.

Does this mean it will use regular druid shape power such as improved wildshape or will it use the increased totem shape scaling that ends with 38 STR/CON/DEX at 26+?

Thank you!
-S
What this means is that if you are a Ranger who goes Totem, you gain no benefits from the totem-pact EXCEPT that every animal you summon and every animal companion you choose will appear in the form of the chosen totem animal.

I.E.

you are a wolf-totem ranger... you chose a badger animal companion... summon your companion, and a wolf appears ... that wolf has the statistics of a badger companion.

You cast summon animal spell that should summon a Dire Spider... what you get is a wolf with dire-spider stats.

Later in your Ranger's Life, you take DRUID levels. because you have ALREADY taken a TOTEM PACT with the wolf, you cannot become a TOTEM-DRUID... you are a standard druid. And when you shape-shift, the statistics of the creature you shift into are exactly the same as a vanilla non-totem druid.

THE DIFFERENCE: Because you were already a TOTEM-RANGER (Wolf), every animal you shift into will appear like a wolf. and every animal you summon with your spells will appear as a wolf. and your druid animal companion, regardless of the animal you choose will take on the appearance of a wolf. All statistics of those animals summoned by your druid-levels will be the same statistics as a Vanilla Non-Totem Druid.,.. BUT they will take on the appearance of the wolf, BECAUSE OF YOUR RANGER-TOTEM.

Summary: Ranger-Totem + Druid Levels = Non-totem Druid, who's druid-shapes and summons = Ranger Totem Animal.

-the reason (IIRC) was so that a Totem-Ranger can take druid levels to participate in some shape-shifting RP, but does not gain the benefits (or negatives) of a Totem-Druid.
-Unit of beauty required to launch one ship = 1 milihelen

WanderingPoet

Post by WanderingPoet » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:38 pm

Wiki wrote:Totem Ranger
While not strictly a path, rangers have their own version of the totem-pact of the druids. Finding the same NPCs as the druids, they can take on a favored animal to bind themselves, but they will not receive any of the mechanical bonuses or penalties, nor will they be able to use the -polymorph command. The only change that they will experience is that (nearly) all their summons will take the form of their totem animal.

A ranger that later multiclasses as druid will be able to -polymorph, but will never receive any of the other bonuses or penalties. Also, the -polymorph will only use the druid levels for determining the power of the shape, ignoring the ranger levels.

The bargain is permanent. Once taken, it cannot be undone or changed.
Notably, "A ranger that later multiclasses as druid will be able to -polymorph" - if they can use -polymorph, what do they turn into? What're the stats of the form that they turn into? In your above example would they simply be a wolf with the base ranger stats?

It says quite specifically that only your druid levels will be used for determining the power of the shape which suggests that -polymorph would put you into a wolf shape that has the progression outlined on the wiki - afterall, that is how a totem druid uses -polymorph at level 3 when they start as a totem druid. If that is meant to say that it only uses your druid level for the strength of wild shapes, then shouldn't that be obvious since it's an entirely different class feature?
Path_of_Play wrote:Fear, intimidation, anger - All these, the tyrant's tools.
Laughter, encouragement, play - not simply just for fools.
These tools reveal,
More is learned,
From another in an hour of play,
Than in a year of contention.

The Kriv

Post by The Kriv » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:23 am

WanderingPoet wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:38 pm
Notably, "A ranger that later multiclasses as druid will be able to -polymorph" - if they can use -polymorph, what do they turn into?
Yeah, The shape is determined by the Ranger-Totem.

I think the intent is to allow the Ranger an opportunity for some shape-shift RP. I don't think it is intended to create a powerful shifted form that benefits from increased stats from Ranger-Levels... if that's what you're trying to learn.

If you have 27 levels of Ranger and 3 levels of Druid, your shape has the stats of a 3rd level Druid shifted into the chosen form as dictated by your Totem-Ranger Bargain.

Confirmation would be required though, as I've not done it myself, so can't say for certain.
-Unit of beauty required to launch one ship = 1 milihelen

WanderingPoet

Post by WanderingPoet » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:16 am

I tested the question in game

If I am totem ranger and then take druid levels, the form progresses as normal for the druid levels. At level 1-7 18/18/18, at level 8 20/20/20. I can update at later levels, but it seems to be the continuing case.
Path_of_Play wrote:Fear, intimidation, anger - All these, the tyrant's tools.
Laughter, encouragement, play - not simply just for fools.
These tools reveal,
More is learned,
From another in an hour of play,
Than in a year of contention.