Lore and advice

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Ozzy.nl

Lore and advice

Post by Ozzy.nl » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:36 pm

Recently I have been rewatching full metal alchemist brotherhood. And I know how cheesy it is but I want to know if some ideas can cross over in to Arelith.

My idea is a spellsword build as I feel it is fitting for the idea but before i commit to anything there arw a couple things i wish to know.

In the world of FMA we see alchemists transmuting stuff on the basics of equivalent and exchange and they can do the most amazing feats with that. Is that something with the whole philosophy behind it something that can be done in Arelith?

And can it have the same out comes. Like drawing a transmutation circle and pulling a weapon out of the ground leaving a hole there?

And are there lore wise organizations in the forgotten realms who hold any of these ideas?

Offcourse the subject of human transmutations and the taboo on it would aply only to necromancy as divine magic actualy can revive people.

StrykerMontgomery

Re: Lore and advice

Post by StrykerMontgomery » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:47 pm

You just called the greatest singleshot/season of anime of all time "cheesey." Yes I may just started an endless debate. Start a new thread for those hating on my statement.

The natural order of the cosmos/god in fma does not translate well into faerun but the concept of transmutations do.

The school of transmutation does not create something out of nothing and when it does appear to break the equivelant exchange, just think of the weave as philosophers stones and thus why evocation, something out of nothing, is possible to begin with. (So true flames are just walking unstable god tier philisopher stones lol)

The creation of chimeras or human modificAtion can be polymorph which is transmutation. Buffs spells that add animal like enhancement, transmutation. Stone to flesh and vise versa, the list goes on and most of them could easily be alchemist transmutations.
Currently played characters:
Have not played for over a year, thinking of returning again

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:59 pm

You could look up PnP spells that suit your purposes and ask the active DMs if roleplaying them in a certain way would be fine. I'm sure I've seen conjure weapon spells in the rulebooks... Or was it Elder Scrolls?

Gods of invention like Gond could be good patron options.
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

Hinty

Post by Hinty » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:02 pm

Whilst there are some Transmutation spells that are kind of similar to the show (Flesh to Stone being a good example that is in the game) few use equivalent exchange, if only for mechanical reasons. (Polymorph would be a rather boring spell if humans could only turn into medium sized critters, and halfling/gnomes would have it even worse)

The main block to that style of Transmutation would be the prevalence of Conjurations and Evocations. A Mage that wants a sword, for example, has no need to scramble around and find an appropriate amount of iron, or even to convert stone into a sword when they can simply summon what they want from thin air, either by literally creating it out thin air with evocation, or summoning one from somewhere else with conjuration.

Were I DMing a PnP game and someone asked if they could have a character who created spells like this, I miiight be willing to let them, slightly lower level versions of spells that require the presence of appropriate materials perhaps. Cantrip that lets you create a dagger if you are holding a dagger sized amount of metal perhaps? Or maybe a level 2 version: Touch attack to convert an opponents metal armour into a dagger, mage gains a dagger, enemy gets an armour debuff. All that said, it is a lot of work for very little gain. The only mages i could see bothering to learn transmutations like this would be ones who for some reason were blocked from casting evocations AND conjurations.

That is not to say there is nothing of value in the equivalent exchange idea. Perhaps you could try a mage who believes in making his magic as efficient as possible, so he likes to utilise his surroundings where he can. Casting Stoneskin? Why turn the persons skin into stone, that is far to inefficient, there is stone everywhere, just take some stone from the ground and coat the person in it. Shelgarns? Why gather energy and turn it into a dagger when you can simply carry a dagger around and animate it?

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:11 pm

Transmutation in D&D laughs at the concept of equivalent exchange, but yes the concept you want is possible. P&P has a lovely spell called Fabricate that turns a mass of one material into another, so making a clod of earth into a sword wouldn't be possible, but converting a golden chandelier into a masterwork longsword would work fine (as the two have similar values).

Ozzy.nl

Post by Ozzy.nl » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:03 pm

Let me say this first, I never ment FMA is cheesy. I love the series, in all his depth and philosophies. The part of cheesy i ment trying to convert it to Arelith.

But from reading all this and concideribg the way magic does work in Forgotten realms it does seem very difficult indeed to cross the concept over. Esspecially after reading all this. Possible but just not doable I guess. And running around with a overpowered SS with automail arm just isnt fun without some offset and depth to it.

Thank you all anyway for the responces.