Bladesingers

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

BishopKnight

Bladesingers

Post by BishopKnight » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:13 am

Hello. Haven't been around in ages. Just trying to come back not that I've seen you guys move the server to Beamdog. I have a question on a possible character class. Bladesingers. I'm curious as to why they were never introduced to NWN even though they are a great character class and very interesting. It's a class only for elves (not even half elves are allowed) and has a particular skill set and feats while being balanced out with its own form of restrictions. Requirements are also in place and could be enforced in game. I would seriously ask that at least one staff member takes a look at the Bladesinger class if no one is familar with them. They would add to Roleplay and not upset the balance of the server at all.

Just a thought and a suggestion.

THanks for reading.

Nitro

Re: Bladesingers

Post by Nitro » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:46 am

Half elves are fine as bladesingers actually, according to Races of Faerún which they were introduced in.

And mechanically, they are very similar to both bards and spellswords. A martially focused bard with some focus into bard/curse song specifically is very similar to a bladesinger in most aspects so you can quite feasibly make a bladesinger with existing assets without needing a new class cooked up for it.

Emotionaloverload
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Emotionaloverload » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:23 pm

All the bladesingers that I have seen IG have been Bard/CoT or Bard/WM. If you are considering the concept, in the meantime, you might want to think up your own combination that is the most fun for you!

-S
Formerly; Echo Hemlocke-Ralkai, Joshua Colt, Namil Evanara, Elanor Shortwick, Sawyer Brook, Kaylessa Dree, Sines Oliver Selakiir, Birgitta Birdie Swordhill, Bella Weartherbee, Arael Laceflower, Corbin, Rupert Silveroak, Hadi the Slave and others.

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:53 pm

This slants to mechanics and build talk, but I can't restrain myself. For Bladesinger, a Bard23/Spellblade3/Fighter4 could do the trick. A small bonus to damage from Imbue, could wear Greensteel chain without the -5% asf penalty, scribes scrolls (wow!).
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

Griefmaker

Post by Griefmaker » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:04 pm

The spellsword class is what I used for my old elven bladesinger. Note though that he was not a minimum intelligence strength build like what everyone will tell you to do to maximize your potential.

Mine was one of the original ones in which you could get 4 APR with 22 wizard levels and he maxed out dex and int to be both an agile warrior and talented wielder of magic (sadly the class has been changed to something less unique and flexible, so going this route now will neuter it heavily).

But it worked perfectly for the bladesinger idea: it was a mixture of grace and magic blended together. Of course, the most important thing is to RP the skills and talents of the bladesinger, which is how it comes to life.

strong yeet

Post by strong yeet » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:54 pm

A spellsword or a bard/ftr/paladin I think would fit pretty well. Maybe you could do a dex based spellsword, I think that's the closest thing.

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:06 pm

I'd probably play a battlebard of some sort as a bladesinger, personally. Spellswords have always seemed closer to the Duskblade class, at least in my mind.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

BishopKnight

Post by BishopKnight » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:11 pm

wow well thanks everyone for your input and answers. I too was thinking along the lines of making a bladesinger through a bard class. tried roll playing them on paper a few years ago and was fun but challenging and thought with Arelith having the skilled staff that they do if any server could bring the bladesinger class to life then here but yes I guess a number of meshed classes would do the trick close enough without needing to build an entirely new class

BishopKnight

Post by BishopKnight » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:04 pm

whassup everyone. This is my present idea for a bladesinger. Just wanted to see if I could get any imput to this idea.

SpellSword 21 Bard 5 fighter 4

Still thinking about dropping a level off Spellsword or bard to place on fighter to make level 5 and gain the a.c. bonus from helmet uses. Just dont think its worth it though. Not sure

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:32 pm

If you want mechanical and build advice, it's probably better to take this to the Mechanics and build subforum! Spellsword23/Bard3/Fighter4 is the basic build for Spellsword and makes for a nice Bladesinger, imo.

There should be a lot of ready-made example builds if you search the build section of the forum. :)
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect