Beginner Character Appearance Customization Issues

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

hector_doepos

Beginner Character Appearance Customization Issues

Post by hector_doepos » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:11 pm

Hey!

Just starting out with NWN as well as Arelith - looking forward to exploring! :)

I'm having some problems with my character creation - I am a bit confused so I have a few questions!

When I create my character, it seems that the outfit that I get in the starting area is different to the outfit that I select in the character 'customize screen'. Is this a bug or a feature?

In the starting area, I notice that there is two mirrors which if I stand in front of allow me to change my appearance. It seems this is really buggy, and when I try and change outfit, some of them don't work, others seem to 'layer' clothing in unusual ways and others don't seem to fit my body properly. I also can't seem to find the outfit that I liked from the previous customization screen in these mirrors. Should I be avoiding these mirrors? Or is there a way to get these to work in your favour?

I would just like to be able to customize my appearance to make sense with the character I have in mind - will I be able to do this more as I progress? Should I just get on with it and ignore the buggy-ness of these initial screens?

It is a little off-putting for beginners that the initial experience of character appearance customization is so buggy! I am hoping that the game runs smoother once your in the fray.

Anyway, Thanks :)

PS. I am running the steam version of NWN:EE, and I have not intalled any of the Overridees

wheat wharf

Re: Beginner Character Appearance Customization Issues

Post by wheat wharf » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:51 pm

hector_doepos wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:11 pm
When I create my character, it seems that the outfit that I get in the starting area is different to the outfit that I select in the character 'customize screen'. Is this a bug or a feature?
It's a server feature. Once your character gets thrown into the world, the server assigns them a new outfit based on their class. A fighter will get some armor, a mage will get some robes, and a rogue some leather, as an example. iirc, the outfit you choose in the character creation will be in your inventory.
hector_doepos wrote:
In the starting area, I notice that there is two mirrors which if I stand in front of allow me to change my appearance. It seems this is really buggy, and when I try and change outfit, some of them don't work, others seem to 'layer' clothing in unusual ways and others don't seem to fit my body properly. I also can't seem to find the outfit that I liked from the previous customization screen in these mirrors. Should I be avoiding these mirrors? Or is there a way to get these to work in your favour?
You should edit your outfit through the Rest menu. Just click R and find the Appearance option in the menu there. It's very intuitive, but given the number of customization options, it may take some time for you to get the hang of things. There's really no point in using mirrors anymore. To change your outfit colors, I suggest you take a look at this page here: http://wiki.avlis.org/Dynamic_Dye_Color_Chart
hector_doepos wrote:
I would just like to be able to customize my appearance to make sense with the character I have in mind - will I be able to do this more as I progress? Should I just get on with it and ignore the buggy-ness of these initial screens?
You can customize your armor and weapons as you go, with different models and colors, whenever you want to. For further customization options, you can visit a tattoo parlor, and a DM can change your head model if you ask them to.

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:52 pm

The outfit change is a feature.

You should be able to replicate it using the mirrors. They allow for far more customization than the creation screen.

The buggy thing you mention is easily remedied by sidestepping once or twice when something looks odd. Just press q and e and you should be dandy

*edit* ninja’d -.-

hector_doepos

Post by hector_doepos » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:54 pm

Ah, that clarifies everything. Glad I posted here.

Thanks a lot :)

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:59 pm

Welcome to the server and please post again if something seems miffy :)