Fey Warlock Pact

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

grobhoblin

Fey Warlock Pact

Post by grobhoblin » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:08 pm

I used to play on Arelith ages ago before the NWN server I inherited picked back up, and I was fairly active in a campaign as a member of the city guard. I'm happy to see Arelith is still up and running after all this time and thought I might give it another go.

I'd like to consider trying some ideas outside my usual characters (which were typically good-aligned), and among other ideas I was considering, I was thinking of creating a Fey Pact Warlock, as I see that is now supported on Arelith. I get the message loud and clear that Arelith Warlocks are all wilful adopters of their pact (according to the wiki), but for the life of me, I'm struggling to come up with not only what my pact would entail, but what my character's motivations and whatnot are.

Does anyone have any good resources to recommend? I already read everything I could find on the wiki and did some cursory google searching, but was unable to find much that explains how a Fey Pact Warlock might behave or what drives them.

Thanks!

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: Fey Warlock Pact

Post by Wytchee » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:21 pm

The Unseelie are both irredeemably evil and seemingly random in their demands/actions. Fey conspire in timescales of 100s of years and their motives/goals would, to mere mortals, seem completely arbitrary.

Some ideas I have had in the past:
- the warlock is granted immense power, but must always serve (i.e. as a slave, or a butler) - irony pact
- the warlock acts as an emissary for the Unseelie Court, demanding arbitrary tributes (left pinky finger, the laughter of a child).
- hermit-witch, the warlock is granted immense power on the condition she harbor no friendships or engage in intimate relationships with other mortals
- murder pact - Unseelie delight in betrayal and murder. Make people love and trust you, then betray that trust.

Could be any one or a combination of these, or just about anything you can think of.
Current character: Abigail Duskwood

Commissar

Post by Commissar » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:13 pm

Just to pile on the references, if you're in the mood for some fey-flavoured reading:

A Guide for Young Ladies Entering the Service of the Faeries
This is a neat, short piece that captures just how much fey pacts tend to cost.

The Crux of the Matter
Blackvelvetband played, in my opinion, the best fey warlock the server's seen. Read her story. You won't regret it.

If you don't mind spending actual money, the Dresden Files has some books that feature the Summer and Winter courts, and Old World of Darkness' Changeling: The Lost also have some very neat ideas on how the fey tick that I've relentlessly plundered in the past. I've also heard good things about Jonathan strange and Mr Norrell, but haven't gotten around to reading it yet.
May you live in interesting times.
Manticore, on Sun Elves wrote:Yeah, I'm pretty sure the racism is like a mating ritual or something. Like plumes on birds.

Ramza

Post by Ramza » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:54 am

Do note the current grandstanding battle trophy of winning against insurmountable odds was done by Feylock. Fun fact.

Hinty

Post by Hinty » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:21 pm

Can not recommend the Dresden Files books enough for their portrayal of the fae. Also a must read in my mind for the portrayal of Michael the Holly Knight character who is, to my mind the best example of what a Paladin should aspire to be.