Game is extremely extremely dark, advice?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Venach

Game is extremely extremely dark, advice?

Post by Venach » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:01 pm

Hey, finally getting back into the game. This game is EXTREMELY dark now. Basically, daylight on the surface looks like sunset hours, and night makes my character's screen 100% black if I dont' have a torch. Torches maybe give me a 5 foot view of anything that is not a light source. Adjusting the contrast on my screen basically turns the black into grey with some very hard to see outline of the area, though it is not much.

I'm not sure if this is intentional or not. I've talked to others, and while they say the game is darker, nobody's game is in the state mine is in it seems.

I get that there shouldn't be 100% visibility at night or in caves, but we're talking the type of view the darkness spell gives you. I sort of have to guess in dungeons and caves on which direction I can actually walk unless I have a torch or someone uses light on my character.

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: Game is extremely extremely dark, advice?

Post by Wytchee » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:16 pm

Make sure all the visual "enhancements" are turned off. High contrast and vibrance are particularly bad.
Current character: Abigail Duskwood

Elaetheus
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Elaetheus » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:25 pm

I agree with the above. Ambient occlusion adds shadows too. There is also a contrast shader override by Symphony available on steam workshop that you may try before turning it off completely.

They are still struggling with performance on such a wide class of hardware. On my Mac the contrast/colours are more than fine, but the "depth of field" is completely broken (everything is blurry).

Venach

Post by Venach » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:46 pm

Unfortunately already tried all the settings and filters. I'll go ahead and get Scholar's patch. I'm also running it on the beamdog client, so that could be the issue. The toolset was a nightmare on there.

Elaetheus
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Elaetheus » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:15 pm

Venach wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:46 pm
Unfortunately already tried all the settings and filters. I'll go ahead and get Scholar's patch. I'm also running it on the beamdog client, so that could be the issue. The toolset was a nightmare on there.
Sorry about that. In the worst case you will have to go and bug report to Beamdog, or ask their forums. As I said there are still many issues, and sometimes they solve them but also create new ones.

Conversations With Your Car Alarm

Post by Conversations With Your Car Alarm » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:47 am

I had this same problem and Symphony's shader fixed me right up.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:02 am

Symphony's shader does wonders to the game.

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:50 pm

I'd suggest turning up the gamma, but...