Arelith's looming homeless crisis

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

MoreThanThree

Arelith's looming homeless crisis

Post by MoreThanThree » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:42 am

With the player limits per server raised to 250, a few thoughts arise:
1. What is the PC capacity on average for high-population areas? For example, dungeons seem to be able to comfortably support one group of four players per area. What's this limit for areas in which PCs buy and sell, and craft? Same for houses? City centers?
2. With all the requests for expanded housing (more quarters per area, more quarters in castles, etc), would the developers consider adding more areas with bunkbeds and bunk housing? So far, the only quarters with this design that come to mind would be the barracks set aside for settlement guards/militias.
3. With the examples of Skal and Sencliff, are there plans to add more large-scale islands that have a possibility for more settlements on them? The ship system has added a variety of islands to explore, but these are, with the exception of the afformentioned areas and Raven's Landing, dungeons to grind instead of places to live on and settle.
4. The deleted gypsy camp from before the revised Cordor map used to serve as a high-capacity housing area, with tents (while not quarters per se) serving as a reasonable place for people to settle and live. Does Arelith have any large, open-ish space that could serve the same function (a second gypsy camp, or a place for people to put down tents and live)?
20 RPR GANG

TimeAdept

Re: Arelith's looming homeless crisis

Post by TimeAdept » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:25 am

There's not a shortage of houses in my experience, there's fierce competition for what are deemed "Good" houses. As little as 2 days ago there were 4 open apartments in the Treadstone, 2 open vaults in Sharps, and 3 open vaults in the Fool's Clover. The housing is there, but players want The Big Houses, so they compete.

Guildhalls and the castles are also generally vastly underutilized because people don't want to be tied to a place they don't personally control and could get kicked out of based ona faction going under, an electrion changing, or losing an auction. People like long term stability and moving on their own terms.

flower

Post by flower » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:44 am

Some areas are ages old. But rework takes time.

MoreThanThree

Post by MoreThanThree » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:11 pm

TimeAdept wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:25 am
There's not a shortage of houses in my experience,
Aye, but what happens when even the substandard housing runs out? How much growth do the developers expect Arelith to sustain?
20 RPR GANG

WinkinBlinkin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by WinkinBlinkin » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:40 pm

I've just made a suggestion about guild houses in the suggestion thread that I think would help with this.

ltlukoziuz

Post by ltlukoziuz » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:12 pm

People want beds and a place for their personal fixtures, not just a storage chest. At least I value Cordor's Commons higher than a random Inn room or a vault. And there is a lack of that - proper houses with proper bedrooms.

Currently playing: Sabina Paultier

Anime Sword Fighter

Post by Anime Sword Fighter » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:17 pm

a good place for more housing might be adding on another floor or two to the mayfields, similar to the design of the skaljard lodge and the enormous amount of quarters it holds.

Marsi

Post by Marsi » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:01 pm

TimeAdept wrote:
There's not a shortage of houses in my experience, there's fierce competition for what are deemed "Good" houses. As little as 2 days ago there were 4 open apartments in the Treadstone, 2 open vaults in Sharps, and 3 open vaults in the Fool's Clover. The housing is there, but players want The Big Houses, so they compete.

Guildhalls and the castles are also generally vastly underutilized because people don't want to be tied to a place they don't personally control and could get kicked out of based ona faction going under, an electrion changing, or losing an auction. People like long term stability and moving on their own terms.
This.

Some more houses to account for the pop influx and return us to baseline should be in order, but the focus should really be on promoting organized RP with better/more guildhouses. After all, Arelith is not a "life simulator" in that sense and it's not necessary that every character have a private home. It ought to be, in my opinion, that locking down server property is more the realm of factions than individuals.

Why should the great bell of Beaulieu toll when the shadows were neither short nor long?

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:09 pm

TimeAdept wrote:

Exactly, nothing is worse then suddenly finding out you are locked out of your quarters and you have no idea who the new owner is. the Darkheart grove really could use a few huts or caves. :D

Diilicious

Post by Diilicious » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:19 pm

Time to rebuild Benwick and Wharftown? :}
Name: Shanna Waynolt nee Tahir
Height: 5'0"
Weight: 106lb
Hair & facial archetype: Ginnifer Goodwin
Body shape archetype: Example

Tourmaline

Post by Tourmaline » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:43 pm

ltlukoziuz wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:12 pm
People want beds and a place for their personal fixtures, not just a storage chest. At least I value Cordor's Commons higher than a random Inn room or a vault. And there is a lack of that - proper houses with proper bedrooms.
There's a lot of people who just want storage though and only buy a quarter for that reason. How many quarters out there are solely used to dump heavy raw materials for for crafting and see no RP whatsoever?

I think the settlement storage update could alleviate things a bit. I am fine with housing being a luxury and maybe it should be even more expensive than it is as long as every character is able to offload a fair amount of heavy items somewhere.

StrykerMontgomery

Post by StrykerMontgomery » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:29 am

TimeAdept wrote:

The only name i recognize was Sharps. What about commonly accessible surface areas? I don't want a big house lol arelith has always had a partial homeless problem. I think that is why citizen storage system was added.
Currently played characters:
Have not played for over a year, thinking of returning again

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:51 am

The Fool's Clover is in Cordor.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:43 am

Even bad quarters are in shortage, most of the time I check Cordor for available quarters, the only free ones are inside guilds.
:)

MoreThanThree

Post by MoreThanThree » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:03 pm

Right, but the problem is that Arelith is expecting to grow, with the player-cap more than doubled, and even the current housing doesn't seem sufficient. The only places that appear available are either guilds, hard to find (unofficially named?), or were invented in the past year or so.

Another problem arises in Arelith's projected growth is in its dungeons. When Arelith starts getting over 100 players per server, how often will more dungeons and content be added?
20 RPR GANG

Tourmaline

Post by Tourmaline » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:24 pm

The writ system could use more missions and variety. There are a fair amount of low and mid level areas that arent even assigned writs and more patrol writs can be added too, so I don't think new lvl 1-20 areas need to be created necessarily.

Epic content might need a little love especially as it gets easier to reach those levels. There's still a lot of it that's rarely seen and maybe more reason to visit different areas could be considered.

Of course new areas are always welcome if a Dev is inspired!