Gift of (Un)Holy vs Cleric

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

ltlukoziuz

Gift of (Un)Holy vs Cleric

Post by ltlukoziuz » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:50 pm

Hey all. Bit by bit, I am planning on the contingency of what would I play if Delor's story would ever end, and one of the ideas I had in my brain was playing a priest of a certain deity. However, I have little experience of playing casters, so I was thinking of building it without Cleric levels in it, and, instead, taking the Gift of (Un)Holy.

Question: Are there any differences mechanically wise that I could not pull of if I was Gifted and not a Cleric? (Not able to perform a specific ritual/ceremony; not able to access some FOIG bit which is meant for Clerics but not Gifted (don't spoil it if that's true though); etc.)

Currently playing: Sabina Paultier

BegoneThoth

Re: Gift of (Un)Holy vs Cleric

Post by BegoneThoth » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:40 pm

Frankly, the amount of RP you get out of mechanically consecrating altars is almost nil. And if you need one consecrated that badly, you can generate RP by finding a cleric and having them do it.

There are better gifts for any situation.
Question: Are there any differences mechanically wise that I could not pull of if I was Gifted and not a Cleric? (Not able to perform a specific ritual/ceremony; not able to access some FOIG bit which is meant for Clerics but not Gifted (don't spoil it if that's true though); etc.)
It's the same. It's not a good gift at all. And a good sermon in a 'holy' place is going to rouse even if you click on the holy altar and it doesn't say the name of your god.
\

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:36 pm

To contrast, if you plan on following some niche deity, not being able to consecrate yourself can mean going RL months between getting altars consecrated because there's just no Cleric chars of that deity.

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:46 am

Dusty has it. She worships Labelas Enoreth.

He's Knowledge/Invention and Magic.

Yea. Gonna need to consecrate them altars.
Current character: Abigail Duskwood

Anatida
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Anatida » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:45 am

My PC has the Un/holy char. I play her blackguard as templar. For me the gift made a lot of IC sense. I have never regretted taking it.

My pronouns are: She/Her/That *itch

ltlukoziuz

Post by ltlukoziuz » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:25 am

Yes, the reason I want to grab that gift is that there's no one else I saw of that deity on which I had plans, at least on the Surface. And thank you all for reassuring there's no difference between the two. I am still thinking on what build it would be, but the Battleclerics are not fancying me, and with casters, I simply lack experience, where I might be coming to conflict situations (I am shit at PvP, but I hope to at least lessen that by RPing the conflicts instead of fighting them out)

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:13 am

Even as casters, clerics are fairly straightforward. Half their spell repertoire might as well be macro'd beside an "I win!" emote.
Current character: Abigail Duskwood

StrykerMontgomery

Post by StrykerMontgomery » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:24 pm

As a cleric you also don't have to "learn" your spells. So you are free to prepare whstever spells you see fit for your level.
Currently played characters:
Have not played for over a year, thinking of returning again

ltlukoziuz

Post by ltlukoziuz » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:05 pm

Is there a proper guide for playing a caster cleric (i.e. goes into more detail on spells than the cookie cutter ones where its only stat/feat building)?