A couple of ranger questions

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Jagel

A couple of ranger questions

Post by Jagel » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:47 pm

Fav. enemy from Harper class and ranger do not stack (so 21 ranger/5 HS) will have +5 dmg vs ranger fav. enemies and +2 against HS fav. enemies. However: will all FE feats benefit from the Bane of Enemies feat or only ranger FE?

And another question: is dex ranger a simply a sub-par build or is it unviable?

afreshstart

Re: A couple of ranger questions

Post by afreshstart » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:51 pm

afaik BoE should work for both FEs. And dex ranger is okay but will be harder to level since your damage early on is lower. But they do well in end game pve from what I've seen.

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:56 pm

Relevant to my interests: how does the changes to spears work with dual wielding? Guessing you can’t wield two spears at once, but spear and short sword for instance?

The Greater Good

Post by The Greater Good » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:35 pm

Spear and nothing or spear and shield only I believe. (Pity they don't twohand tbh)
Monte Cook wrote:The idea here is that the game just gives the rules, and players figure out the ins and outs for themselves -- players are rewarded for achieving mastery of the rules and making good choices rather than poor ones.

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:30 pm

Hm, a shame. It actually makes spear a somewhat lacking option for Rangers since it does not allow wielding and is not finessable (so not got for archers as aux weapon)

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:05 pm

I recently rolled a dex xbow ranger and my damage was legit. I think melee has more challenges as you have to find more sources of damage, but it wasn't cancer in the slightest.

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:39 pm

Sub-par but doable. A rogue splash of five to six levels helps a lot in the mid to epics range when dual-wielding in flanking, stealth, and KD/IKD attacks (and rangers get ultravision so carrying a wand of darkness is a very strong tactic in PvE).

It'll add 3d6 to all those attacks (2d6 pre-epic which equals your BoE bonus), which will stack with your BoE damage after epic, and as of the new update, it will help mitigate being flanked yourself during solo play (uncanny dodge I or II) while still leaving you 3 or 4 other levels to fill if you want a third class.

Levels five and six in rogue should be taken post-epic. I'd take the first four pre-epic for quality of life- you'll only lose 1 BAB off the build. Ranger3/Rogue3/Ranger6/Rogue1 (15 UMD/Tumble here, 16 in UMD if you dumped CHA), rest to taste. I'm sure there's a very specific optimal path to take but that's a good basic starting outline, IMO.
Last edited by Aelryn Bloodmoon on Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:43 pm

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:31 am

A dip of three rogue levels is fine for the skills, but I would never, ever do more just for the sneak attack. If you just want damage, you're probably better off going fighter; epic weapon specialization gives you more upfront damage (which helps you finish a target after you've exited stealth, too!), and fighter levels grant more feats--which will help up your AB.

Don't ever do five rogue levels just for the sneak attack. Please. It's super bad.

Assuming you run paragon (and why wouldn't you?), your damage will already be solid DEX-based. Let's assume a 1d6 weapon and zero strength modifier:

3.5 (base) + 5 (blade thirst) + 4 (permanent essence) + 3.5 (temporary essence) + 10 (divine might) + 7 (bane of enemies) + 5 (favored enemy) = 38 damage per hit. Minimum. With full buffs and optimal gear you will probably eke out more.

I'd probably go Ranger 21/Paragon 5/Rogue 3 or Ranger 21/Paragon 5/Bard 3, leaning toward the latter. The latter nets you superb saving throws.

(Yes, I'm aware both builds are 29 levels. Do whatever with the last one.)

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:32 pm

The harper/ranger builds seem pretty feat starved for any non human char though. You’d have to give upon IE, IKD, BF or weapon feats to get the prereqs

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:46 pm

Jagel wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:32 pm
You’d have to give upon IE, IKD, BF or weapon feats to get the prereqs
The choice here is obvious: sacrifice IKD.