'Good' monster can become Paladins?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Scourge

'Good' monster can become Paladins?

Post by Scourge » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:18 am

Simple question, how do i use the normal reward to make a 'good' monster. Will i need a GM to change my alignment once i have created my character? Or does the normal reward option automaticly do this?

Can't test it out with the risk of effing up and losing said reward :D

Ty for the answer.

Seekeepeek

Re: 'Good' monster can become Paladins?

Post by Seekeepeek » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:30 pm

you can't make a paladin monster the way the system is set up.
think it goes something like this:
chaotic evil elf is created.
chaotic evil elf is entitled to pick the Drow subrace.
you use the good monster reward as a Drow.
your alignment is change from chaotic evil to chaotic good.

so as you see you can't start as a paladin Drow given your alignment most be non-good to start with. if you want to try playing a Drow paladin i think it's a 5% roll character. but i don't know. might wanna ask a DM about that.

i mean.. we'd have tons of paladin Drows if there wasn't a restriction on it.

Scourge

Post by Scourge » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:03 pm

What if I where to make a lawfully evil orog. Would this switch to lawfully good and enabling the paladin class?

flower

Post by flower » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:12 pm

You can be drow paladin. You will just pick the class on level 4th.

And yes, switching aligment would allow you to be paladin.

I am not certain if it gives you option to pick from good aligments, or if it just replaces the good/neutral/evil part of aligment with "good" so better to go for lawful from the start.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:18 pm

Monsters already have paladins, they are called Blackguards.

Seems like someone just read the Azure Bonds novels but either way you would need DM approval for such and more than a normal award imo
Yes I can sign

flower

Post by flower » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:21 pm

Ebonstar wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:18 pm

Seems like someone just read the Azure Bonds novels but either way you would need DM approval for such and more than a normal award imo
You need a major award for playing a good aligned monster, and paladin is just a general class with requirment in aligment. I own a drow paladin on my account. And no, blackguard is no paladin. They are rather different things.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:25 pm

flower wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:21 pm
Ebonstar wrote:

You need a major award for playing a good aligned monster, and paladin is just a general class with requirment in aligment. I own a drow paladin on my account. And no, blackguard is no paladin. They are rather different things.
you missed my point. Monster=not good or they would not be called monster
Yes I can sign

flower

Post by flower » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:28 pm

Ebonstar wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:25 pm
flower wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:21 pm
Ebonstar wrote:

you missed my point. Monster=not good or they would not be called monster
And that is why you need major award to play a good monster :D

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:36 pm

Scourge wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:18 am
Simple question, how do i use the normal reward to make a 'good' monster. Will i need a GM to change my alignment once i have created my character? Or does the normal reward option automaticly do this?

Can't test it out with the risk of effing up and losing said reward :D

Ty for the answer.
Typically speaking, the first step is to make the character, you'll have to make them Lawful Neutral. Then when you choose the option to spend a NORMAL award, they get turned to Lawful Good.

Now this does mean that you couldn't take paladin levels from startup, but you could take them three levels after startup (so, for example, you make a LN Derugar Fighter, pick the award, become LG, then when you've taken your three levels of fighter you can take levels of Paladin.)

If you had your heart set on being a Paladin from startup, you'd probably need to talk to Durvas or one of the other Devs. I imagine they might be able to sort something out with you.

That said, though you CAN do this, I'd think very, very, very carefully before doing it.

Being a 'good monster' does not mean you get to wander into Cordor for hugs and ice cream. It does not mean that you get to run through the halls of Brogendenstein with dwarves smiling fondly going 'aww, the little scamp.'

Paladins are often the extreme, active side of Good. It means that it's fairly likely that, shortly after character creation, most of the underdark will want to hunt you down and kill/torture/enslave you for being an insane abomination of your race.

it means when you go the surface you won't have much access to any settlment (You might be able to dash in and out of one or two, but you won't be able to stand around and use their facilities at your leasure) you'll be confined to the wildneress, and wilderness quarters. At best you'll be met with hatred, fear and distrust, at worst people will simply hunt you down and kill you there too.

Being a Monsterious Paladin means being isolated, constnatly at risk of PvP, having little long term access to any sort of facilities, and having to scrounge up what rp you can, whilst always on the run.

It would be a humungus challenge.

Can it be done? Possibly yes. But I wouldn't recommend it.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

flower

Post by flower » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:30 pm

When you get to the epics and to the point you are indenpendent it is possible to live without settlements. Just some people deal harder with limitations on their gameplay...and it is possible to go unnoticed, Over half a year noone commited openly evil act to cause a conflict between my paladin and them.

Of course, if you join a raiding party which goes around torturing people you will be most likely discovered and killed.

Lunargent

Post by Lunargent » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:56 pm

You do not need a major to play a good aligned monster, unless that was recently changed. It's listed on the wiki as a normal reward.

Scourge

Post by Scourge » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:02 pm

Thanks for the replies and advices folk, i've been around for awhile so I think I can manage the downsides coming with this rp. Itll be scary thats for sure.

flower

Post by flower » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:06 pm

I misstyped, yes, normal.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:59 am

Cant you just pick your race in the normal character select, pick LG, pick paladin, and then spend the reward? Isn't the reward screen the first one you see?
\

MoreThanThree

Post by MoreThanThree » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:37 am

no
20 RPR GANG

flower

Post by flower » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:05 pm

BegoneThoth wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:59 am
Cant you just pick your race in the normal character select, pick LG, pick paladin, and then spend the reward? Isn't the reward screen the first one you see?
You cannot select evil subrace if you are of good aligment. And awards are after selection of subrace.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:39 am

Ah I see
\