Enhanced Edition: The Bad

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Re: Enhanced Edition: The Bad

Post by ActionReplay » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:39 pm

I would encourage anyone to still report bugs or issues to Beamdog at their Redmine bug tool:
https://support.baldursgate.com/project ... ublic-bugs

I know some players have asked if Arelith could forward their bugs to Beamdog but honestly it would be better for everyone if you could report this yourself and include any relevant information, especially .dmp files (If any), to Beamdog as that would be difficult for us to do.

Biggest issues I have had personally with the EE version is crashing when switching server on the DM Client. This is very likely to happen about 4/5 times when using the client, not so much when on the regular client for some reason.

Kicking my login when trying to join a server happens frequently as well, if I try 5 seconds after it works, I dunno what that is about.

Rendering issues with tiles that worked fine on 1.69 just looks weird on EE, like their shading is not working properly. Tiles crashing clients (This may be fixed I dunno we removed those tiles on Arelith).

I do get faster loading times in some areas, others it takes way longer than it did on 1.69. Seems to be a hiccup there when loading placeable heavy areas and may need look into on Beamdog's part as I am sure they reworked how entities are preloaded and allocated when loading areas.

Now one of the strangest issues I have heard about but never experienced myself is when there are multiple players in an area (Usually during long server uptime I take it) some players may see other player while other's don't. This happened in 1.69 as well but it was very rare and was more related to their model not rendering for the other player; usually a relog fixed it. However in this case its like one player simply does not exist for another player as their text messages and the like is not displayed at all for the other player.

Umskiptar

Post by Umskiptar » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:37 pm

ActionReplay wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:39 pm
I would encourage anyone to still report bugs or issues to Beamdog at their Redmine bug tool:
That's funny because what they did for me was respond in 30 minutes and ask for more details on the bug, then never respond (a week and a half now) ever again after getting the required details.

Considering Arelith has heavily promoted the Enhanced Edition and become one of the first servers to make the transfer (arguably a very bad decision but who am I to say), I think we should have a thread where we collect bugs and weekly send them to Beamdog as the community of Arelith. Don't we also have developers that are in close contact with Beamdog? Maybe even employed by Beamdog? I don't know why they wouldn't like to help us direct these bugs to people actually willing to do something about them. The bug ticket I made myself remains unsolved with 0% progress with a week and a half of no response. This is as far as individual reports took me.

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:08 pm

I'm really distraught -disguise isn't a thing anymore. I had an entire concept that worked perfectly with my limited playtime, but it was extremely reliant on -disguise. I was holding out to see if the NWNX issues were going to be solved with EE, but it looks like an indefinite TBD.

It's frustrating. Haven't bought NWN:EE because of it. I guess I'll resolve to go back to the drawing board to come up with something different.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Seekeepeek

Post by Seekeepeek » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:21 pm

So NWN EE crash a lot for me since the last "stability" patch.
and i get a lot of pop up from beamdog to report it here and there with a sad smiley.
i wish they'd add a feature so you can just pick if you wanna send the crash report to Beamdog or not, rather then making me work for them everytime.. make it automated.. please.. -.-'

an other issue is that i always played with voiceset only on at a low volume. so i can hear music on youtube or injoy silence. somehow beamdog messed up the sound system of NWN. so even if i turned the other two sound sources off.. combat music will suddenly blast out at full volume at random.. so i get a heart attack. and it happens at like every 50 battle.. so it shock me every time. so i turned voice sets off too in the end, couldn't life with that.

somehow the camara mess up at times too.. and zoom into my character's butt with a passion. i can't zoom out or anything before after a while. as if a key was stuck on my keyboard... this one got me killed in PvE once already.

i really wish they would hire some players to test their patch for free at each release. pretty sure there is plenty of players out there that would love to do that. at the moment they are just shotgunning it out and see what breaks.

aah.. *takes a deep breath* sorry for being so negative. lol

Tourmaline

Post by Tourmaline » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:34 pm

ActionReplay wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:39 pm

I know some players have asked if Arelith could forward their bugs to Beamdog but honestly it would be better for everyone if you could report this yourself and include any relevant information, especially .dmp files (If any), to Beamdog as that would be difficult for us to do.
If I was beta testing a free game I might go through those hoops but I'm not going through the hassle of .dmp files and carefully written bug reports filed through their tracking system for a game I paid for. It seems like releasing buggy software into the wild and shaming paid users into being their beta testers is the norm these days and I am pretty much over it.

I would hope if Arelith the community were to report common bugs faced by dozens of players this would be something of use to them. Maybe it would still be too vague, I don't know.

Old Kentucky Shark

Post by Old Kentucky Shark » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:30 pm

Yeah... my loadscreen times went to absolute crap since the last patch. Before I only had minor issues in places like Cordor and Burrowhome, a little bit with the Tower lobby. Now the super slow, occasionally crashy loadtimes happen randomly no matter where I am about 1 in 4 transitions. Its getting really difficult to play at times, as I am not possessed of an overly large amount of patience.

When Beamdog first announced EE, I was one of the people who thought it was more of a shameless cash grab than anything, and nothing Beamdog has done since has convinced my otherwise. EE has been a direct downgrade for most players, and I've even seen some people who do dev work here saying that its a downgrade for them as well with the broken features and hardcoded 'balance adjustments' (seriously? nerf assassins and rogues into the ground? way to be, Beamdog). I would venture I'm not alone in wishing Arelith had never heard of Beamdog and their terrible products.

I'm honestly curious if the devs feel like the switch was worth it. Beamdog touted a game wherein developers would have far more options and control, but it really seems like the Arelith devs have simply been bogged down with more work just to keep the server running. Is whatever functionality we gained worth the loss of NwNX and NwNCX, the crazy amount of crashing, frame rate drops, and other nightmarish constant issues?

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:31 pm

Load screens of over a minute sometimes despite playing from a SSD with a 1 gigabit connection.

Character sometimes stands still and refuses to take any action or move for several rounds, eating many attacks then inexplicably teleporting very far away, sometimes more then 20 feet. (edit will sometimes end up phasing through walls or up cliffs)

Belt and shoulder pads vanish and cannot be reassigned, need to load a saved outfit and then relog to fix. Bug persists across costumes so if I lose pads on one nothing I do will fix that until I load outfit and relog, not even changing clothes.

Like number two but my character keeps facing different directions doing nothing not able to move and eating many attacks until it abruptly decides to not be "stuck" and begins to attack.
Last edited by BegoneThoth on Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
\

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:31 pm

Arelith portal displays random account names rather then the actual name of the individual logged in.
\

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:43 pm

BegoneThoth wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:31 pm
Arelith portal displays random account names rather then the actual name of the individual logged in.
It's the account they first logged the character with I think.
:)

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:07 pm

New bug

I changed my characters outfit, and body parts started vanishing. I can log in or out and change outfits, but my legs, pelvis, and feet stay gone.

Someone want to help me? I'm a torso atm.
\