Log-in issues

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

CaptMyron

Log-in issues

Post by CaptMyron » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:58 am

Hey all,

When the EE was first announced, I decided to give NWN a try again, specifically PWs.

I reinstalled my copy of NWN Diamond from GOG, did some research and decided on Arelith.

All was well, until the EE came out.

When I try to log on I either get a "CD Key or Player Name mismatch" error or a "Character not playable on this server error."

It does not seem to matter when if I try to use a different player name .

I am aware of the issue regarding using an old CD key versus the new one you get with the EE, but do not understand it when people say "just replace the new CD key with the old one." The EE only has ONE CD key whereas NWN Diamond has three (one for the main game and one for each of the expansions).

Unless I misunderstand, it seems that the Arelith server is storing information associated with my CD key and/or player name which may be the problem.

How do I fix this?

Thanks!

A VERY frustrated former NWNer

Baron Saturday

Re: Log-in issues

Post by Baron Saturday » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:14 am

Try this:

Copy nwncdkey.ini from your old NWN installation. Move it to the same folder as the cdkey.ini from your NWN EE installation. If you're running Windows, it should be in something like C:\Users\*USERNAME*\Documents\Neverwinter Nights by default. That's it. Just have both cdkey files in the same folder and give it a shot.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Post by MalKalz » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:24 am

Please feel free to follow this:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=17387

Discord: @malkalz
Determine your Public CD Key here
Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.

CaptMyron

Post by CaptMyron » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:43 am

Thanks to both the Baron and Spyre.

So I managed to find my old NWN key and replace the EE one with it (which was a bit of a chore cuz I'm on a Mac and .ini files are a windows thing).

I can now log into Arelith and see the three characters I had been working on.

Actually logging onto the server can be hit and miss. The first time I try, I get an invalid character error. But if I exit to the Main Menu, go back into Multiplayer and then log onto Arelith with another character, I get on. If I then exit and log onto Arelith a second time, I can log on with the character I got the invalid character error with.

So progress - I can actually get on the server with the characters I want to play, but have that weird, intermittent, seemingly happening for no reason invalid character error.

Any idea as to what's going on there?

Thanks!

A MUCH-less frustrated OG NWN player

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Post by MalKalz » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:54 am

That is a Beamdog issue, I believe. Even if it says Invalid Character, feel free to just click it again in the menu without having to log out. It should permit you through.

Discord: @malkalz
Determine your Public CD Key here
Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.