Gnomish Log Rotator Headaches

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

ZogTheStout

Gnomish Log Rotator Headaches

Post by ZogTheStout » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:50 pm

I know Mith posted a work-around to this on the old forums, but I don't have the wherewithal to edit an .exe file so that's too intimidating to be viable for me.

Whenever I run NWN with GLR, I hit the below error message. NWN runs fine, but GLR seems to crash and the logs aren't rotated.

What do?

Mulled

Re: Gnomish Log Rotator Headaches

Post by Mulled » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:34 pm

I used the GLR way back when.

Some years ago after a reinstall it no longer worked for me. I didn't fuss around with it and have since manually renamed the log upon exiting NWN. I have a desktop shortcut to the logs folder so it takes no time at all. Just make sure it's the log file you're renaming and not the error one.

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Twily » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:57 pm

If you'd like I can write up a batch file that backs up the log for you every time you go to start the game. I'd need a few simple pieces of information though. It wouldn't be hard since I already use one for myself.

It basically does the exact same thing as the log rotator, but the directories need to be typed directly into the commands rather than bringing up a window that asks you to enter the location. If you can't get GLR working that's the best piece of help I have :)

ZogTheStout

Post by ZogTheStout » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:56 pm

I'm not going to say no, if you're offering! Thanks!

PM me with what you need?

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Twily » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:25 pm

I sent it. That little new message button needs to be more obvious :P I've noticed you online but it doesn't say you looked at it yet

Nekonecro

Post by Nekonecro » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:12 am

You know what I've heard this referenced so much but no one has ever explained what the heck this is even supposed to do <.<

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Twily » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:43 am

It takes the "nwclientLog1.txt" from the NWN "logs" folder and moves it as well as changes it's name, so that you have a detailed back up of every NWN chat log in case you have to report things. The reason for this is because by default NWN overwrites the log every time you connect to a server.

Marsi

Post by Marsi » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:10 am

use a .bat file myself, and have evernote grab all the logs for easy keyword searching. cool stuff.

Why should the great bell of Beaulieu toll when the shadows were neither short nor long?