Parry

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Bjorn Blue Tiger

Parry

Post by Bjorn Blue Tiger » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:57 pm

Hi,

Arelith Wiki says that: A character may only parry a number of attacks per round equal to the number of attacks per round available to the character.

But I'm pretty sure the maximum of possible parried attacks is 3, no? Or changes have been made so that it is really to a maximum of the number of attacks by round of the PC?

Thanks

Bjorn

PinataPlethora

Re: Parry

Post by PinataPlethora » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:35 pm

My understanding of the system is that your total APR limits the combined number of parries and ripostes for that combat round, but you are still limited to one parried attack per flurry. So, if you had 4 APR, you would be able to parry three times and riposte once, or parry twice and riposte twice, but then would have nothing left for the third flurry, leaving you open.

I'm still testing the system myself, so that's about as good of an explanation as I can give.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:59 pm

I keep hearing that thing about the ripostes as well, Pinata, and I'm honestly not sure where it's coming from. The NWN wiki doesn't say anything about it, and I can confirm that it's entirely possible to parry and riposte in the same round with only 1 APR.

If my understanding is correct, then the Arelith wiki could probably be reworded to read: A character may only parry a number of attacks per round equal to the number of attacks per round available to the character, to a maximum of three parries per round (one parry per flurry).
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Morderon
Technical Lead
Technical Lead

Post by Morderon » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:00 pm

Isn't the only difference between a parry and a riposte is a riposte is a parry check passed by 10 or more which grants the counter attack? Which makes sense that ripostes and parry's are on the same counter, they're just different text for the same thing., with riposte granting you the counter attack/

Also note: sometimes the system will report *parry* even though it's an AC block and not a parry block and doesn't take into account your parry in any way.

Bjorn Blue Tiger

Post by Bjorn Blue Tiger » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:48 pm

Baron Saturday wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:59 pm
If my understanding is correct, then the Arelith wiki could probably be reworded to read: A character may only parry a number of attacks per round equal to the number of attacks per round available to the character, to a maximum of three parries per round (one parry per flurry).
I've just tested it out. This is correct.

WanderingPoet

Post by WanderingPoet » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:15 am

Not quite correct.

A character can parry a number of attacks per round equal to the number of attacks per round available to the character BUT can only parry 1 attack per flurry per opponent.

If you have 6 attacks per round (dual wielding) then you can parry 6 attacks per round. If you fight a single foe then you can parry 3 of their attacks (1 per flurry). If you fight two foes then you can parry 6 attacks (1 per flurry per opponent).
Path_of_Play wrote:Fear, intimidation, anger - All these, the tyrant's tools.
Laughter, encouragement, play - not simply just for fools.
These tools reveal,
More is learned,
From another in an hour of play,
Than in a year of contention.

StrykerMontgomery

Post by StrykerMontgomery » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:14 pm

Yeah I always thought an epic dodge high parry monk defending against multiple opponents at once would be the most matrix like thing you could get in the game.
Currently played characters:
Have not played for over a year, thinking of returning again

Bjorn Blue Tiger

Post by Bjorn Blue Tiger » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:58 pm

WanderingPoet wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:15 am
Not quite correct.

A character can parry a number of attacks per round equal to the number of attacks per round available to the character BUT can only parry 1 attack per flurry per opponent.

If you have 6 attacks per round (dual wielding) then you can parry 6 attacks per round. If you fight a single foe then you can parry 3 of their attacks (1 per flurry). If you fight two foes then you can parry 6 attacks (1 per flurry per opponent).
No. I've tested it. I was surrounded by 8 ennemies with low AB and my character had his parry maxed. I was still only able to parry one attack per flurry.

WanderingPoet

Post by WanderingPoet » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:18 pm

How many attacks per round did you have? I've tested it as well and have blocked more than one attack per flurry before, although it was pre-EE.
Path_of_Play wrote:Fear, intimidation, anger - All these, the tyrant's tools.
Laughter, encouragement, play - not simply just for fools.
These tools reveal,
More is learned,
From another in an hour of play,
Than in a year of contention.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:56 pm

Are you sure you just didn't count the riposte attacks as well? No matter the number of opponents, parry should only parry once at the start of each of the parrying characters flurries.