PDK skill description confusion

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Astegard
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

PDK skill description confusion

Post by Astegard » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:05 am

Skill PDK fear description from wiki:
Nearby enemies must make a Will save versus Fear. The DC of this save is 10 + Knight Class Levels + Intimidate / 3. Enemies who fail this saving throw suffer a -1 penalty per 4 Knight levels to AC, AB, and Saving Throws, and a 5% Spell Failure chance per 4 Knight levels. The minimum penalty is -1. Mind-protecting spells do not block this effect. Being attacked while casting Fear will not trigger any Concentration checks.
How should i read this?
Option 1:
lvl 1-3 -1AC AB
at lvl 4 -2 AC AB
and lvl 8 -3AC AB

Or

Option 2:
lvl 1-3 uses minimum 1AC AB
at lvl 4 -1 AC AB
at lvl 8 -2 AC AB

And is the DC viable endgame?
seems like a 30 will save (can get a bit higher if you heavily invest in intimidate gear/charisma)

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Re: PDK skill description confusion

Post by yellowcateyes » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:17 pm

The second set of numbers is accurate.

A cooldown-based AoE debuff that targets Will saves never stops being useful, as the AB penalty helps your party survive while the AC penalty assists in clearing out the mobs faster. Assuming an investment in skill gear (recommended for Vanguards at least), the end DC is ~35.
Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:15 pm

Perhaps the Wiki could be amended to say that the penalty is -1, improving to -2 at PDK level 8?

This seems much more concise.

Astegard
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Astegard » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:53 pm

yellowcateyes wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:17 pm
The second set of numbers is accurate.

A cooldown-based AoE debuff that targets Will saves never stops being useful, as the AB penalty helps your party survive while the AC penalty assists in clearing out the mobs faster. Assuming an investment in skill gear (recommended for Vanguards at least), the end DC is ~35.
Might there be some way to make the duration scaling aswell (for vangaurds)? currently it requires heavy skill investment and the other types of PDK offer their Wards extra bonuses on their buffed skills skills.

Currently you have to be in melee to have full benefit of the 3 turns. As you generally lose 1 for running in after casting it from range.

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:17 pm

The wiki is not directly managed by the staff and is open to player contributions; feel free to edit the page yourself if you find the wiki entries deficient.

Regarding Vanguard, its abilities are focused on offense - offering immobilization, damage vulnerabilities, and debuffs. Taken together, the Vanguard-specific effects of Oath of Wrath, Last Stand, and Fear can be debilitating - especially given that PDK remains a high BAB class that can exploit any created weaknesses. And especially in scenarios where the PDK has allies, all of whom would see their damage enhanced against affected foes.

Given the potent combinations, the duration window of the full Fear debuff was left intentionally short.
Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.

Astegard
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Astegard » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:07 pm

Clear logic thanks for the info!

PinataPlethora

Post by PinataPlethora » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:33 pm

Astegard wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:53 pm
Might there be some way to make the duration scaling aswell (for vangaurds)? currently it requires heavy skill investment and the other types of PDK offer their Wards extra bonuses on their buffed skills skills.

Currently you have to be in melee to have full benefit of the 3 turns. As you generally lose 1 for running in after casting it from range.
The Concentration check has been removed, so you can cast it from melee, now.

Astegard
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Astegard » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:14 pm

PinataPlethora wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:33 pm
Astegard wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:53 pm

The Concentration check has been removed, so you can cast it from melee, now.
Only use it against groups and getting a lot of attacks of opportunity, no thanks

PinataPlethora

Post by PinataPlethora » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:47 pm

It's not that bad. Never causes much of an issue for me. You might as well try it, at least.