Build Lookover, please.

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

taoofbalance

Build Lookover, please.

Post by taoofbalance » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:32 pm

Greetings Arelithians!

I created a build, mapping it out to level 30 and would like to run it by some of you expert character builders to make sure that I'm not missing something obvious and that my math isn't completely off.

I don't want to post the build on the forum, but if anyone would be kind enough to take a look just let me know and I'll send you what I have in a PM.

Thank you.

-Tao
"Typical larval god fetus..."-Patrick Rothfuss.

Jack Oat

Re: Build Lookover, please.

Post by Jack Oat » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:44 pm

Hey,

I'd be willing to take a look if you'd like. Are you looking for advice and/or feedback, or someone to double-check for errors?

"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Garrbear wrote:

quite bluntly we can't balance the server around people who don't play well

Irongron wrote:

My main takeaway from this is that Jack is apparently personable

Yellena

Post by Yellena » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:06 pm

Fell free to send me too. I love calculating.
Vut make sure to show your concept, character personality, style and such also. That way I can see if the numbers are matching the concept.

Plonkers

Post by Plonkers » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:15 pm

sure send a pm out

taoofbalance

Post by taoofbalance » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:34 pm

Thanks for the offer everyone! I've sent out and replied to all the PM's.

Basically, I am looking for two things. First, make sure what I have isn't simply impossible because I forgot to take a feat, or redundant. Second is if you see something that is a must that I over-looked. Also, opinions what 'you' would do is also welcome.

The character is only level 3, so there is a lot of room for wiggle still. I would prefer not to delete him and restart, though I would if I already did something crippling to the build.

Thanks again everyone!

*Edit. It might be important to add that I am looking at it from a purely mechanical aspect. RP and character development have been figured out a little and will develop as he levels. So, this is a shameless plug to see what sort of power/defense I can acquire through feats, skills, and proper leveling.
"Typical larval god fetus..."-Patrick Rothfuss.

DM_Ironfist

Post by DM_Ironfist » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:55 pm

It is a word of warning from this DM, that having a very forward planned fixed build structure that in no way can respond to the sort of RP the character gets involved with or dictates the roleplay you can is more likely to lead to an unhappy player than a happy one.

IndifferentPerson

Post by IndifferentPerson » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:30 pm

DM_Ironfist wrote:It is a word of warning from this DM, that having a very forward planned fixed build structure that in no way can respond to the sort of RP the character gets involved with or dictates the roleplay you can is more likely to lead to an unhappy player than a happy one.
Or a planned build will ensure the player is satisfied when they're epics and not a mash up of classes with no description.

Jack Oat

Post by Jack Oat » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:36 pm

DM_Ironfist wrote:It is a word of warning from this DM, that having a very forward planned fixed build structure that in no way can respond to the sort of RP the character gets involved with or dictates the roleplay you can is more likely to lead to an unhappy player than a happy one.
I'd disagree completely. What it is more likely to do is give you a character that you can enjoy playing. What's on your character sheet can determine many aspects of your character ICly, but it doesn't determine all of them. This is like saying anyone who plans to play a Paladin is a scrub because they're limiting themselves to Lawful Good only.

"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Garrbear wrote:

quite bluntly we can't balance the server around people who don't play well

Irongron wrote:

My main takeaway from this is that Jack is apparently personable