Sneaking Through an Open Door

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Sneaking Through an Open Door

Post by Wytchee » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:47 am

So today I was entering the faction I belong to's guild house and someone snuck in behind me (stealthed) while I was still on the loading screen. My character had no chance to close the door behind her. Nothing was stolen and the character left without protest when asked, but I'm hoping for a clarification on whether or not this is allowed, as it seems to be an exploit of game mechanics. Thanks.
Current character: Abigail Duskwood

PinataPlethora

Re: Sneaking Through an Open Door

Post by PinataPlethora » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:05 am

Years ago, it was considered an exploit, but then a ruling was passed making it acceptable. As far as I'm aware, that's still in place. I believe that change was the reason for the Hide debuff in city areas.

I'm not sure if it's considered PvP, thus allowing you to start smashing as soon as you find them, but I'd shoot first and ask questions later in a RP-less home invasion.

Gods_Kill_People

Post by Gods_Kill_People » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:24 am

Also be careful your not metagaming this, just cause you can see them on loading, doesn't mean you can see them automatically. There is a mechanical limit that does show stuff like that on loading. Also yes, very legal.

ReverentBlade

Post by ReverentBlade » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:03 am

How else do you get in?

Gods_Kill_People

Post by Gods_Kill_People » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:06 am

Picking locks, bashing the door, sneaking in when someone enters/leaves, stealing/being given a key.

Madukthedoppelganger

Post by Madukthedoppelganger » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:31 am

Picking locks, bashing the door -> Impossible/practically impossible if the door security is high enough
Stealing a key -> Impossible, the pickpocket script returns quarter keys, and the same is probably true of keychains
Being given a key -> Works, but it's a whole different type of infiltration

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:49 pm

I think this is just a risk you assume when owning a quarter. Doors & corners, doors & corners.

StrykerMontgomery

Post by StrykerMontgomery » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:08 pm

Oh how I miss something along the lines of the silent hand.
Currently played characters:
Have not played for over a year, thinking of returning again

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:36 pm

Gods_Kill_People wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:24 am
Also be careful your not metagaming this, just cause you can see them on loading, doesn't mean you can see them automatically. There is a mechanical limit that does show stuff like that on loading. Also yes, very legal.
There was no metagaming involved. The character came out of stealth then admitted to sneaking in behind me.

Anyway, while I appreciate the input, a clarification from a DM would be appreciated. <3
Current character: Abigail Duskwood

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:48 pm

I don't think it's fair. You could just be waiting at a door.. and zone in as they zone out and they still may not see you. If they are stealthed and you see them outside and follow them in, they also get an unfair re-roll to their stealth because of an area transition. You may load in much slower than the intruder, giving them time to take your things. This seems like a crappy thing to do.
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

StrykerMontgomery

Post by StrykerMontgomery » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:53 pm

It takes a great deal of effort and patience to just "camp outside a door" that may never open. There is a steal only one item rule for a reason.
Currently played characters:
Have not played for over a year, thinking of returning again

Silvard
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by Silvard » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:09 pm

StrykerMontgomery wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:53 pm
It takes a great deal of effort and patience to just "camp outside a door" that may never open. There is a steal only one item rule for a reason.
Are things not supposed to have a counter just because they take a great deal of effort and patience? If someone zones in as you zone out, what can you possibly do to prevent it, realistically speaking? How does that enhances anyone's fun other than person getting in uncontested?

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:40 pm

Wytchee wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:36 pm

There was no metagaming involved. The character came out of stealth then admitted to sneaking in behind me.

Anyway, while I appreciate the input, a clarification from a DM would be appreciated. <3
It's on the old forums, so the link no longer works unless you wanna find it via the wayback machine, but Mithreas clarified that sneaking in while someone else opened the door is in fact OK and not a breach of the rules:
Old Arelith forums wrote:On September 20, 2012, the policy was [http://arelith.com/node/11340 changed by Mithreas] to allow sneaks to come in behind someone.

Gods_Kill_People

Post by Gods_Kill_People » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:57 pm

Silvard wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:09 pm
StrykerMontgomery wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:53 pm
Are things not supposed to have a counter just because they take a great deal of effort and patience? If someone zones in as you zone out, what can you possibly do to prevent it, realistically speaking? How does that enhances anyone's fun other than person getting in uncontested?
Because there IS the chance you WILL be caught, and the RP from that can be rather intense and involved, it can also be for spying and such.

Black Wendigo

Post by Black Wendigo » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:43 pm

IDK ID consider it grounds to kill them , if I was playing the right char. (Normal PVP rules applied of course).

Mercestes

Post by Mercestes » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:57 pm

The the DMs ruled that you're allowed to sneak in/out of a door during transition it was a stupid ruling on their part.

I would defy anyone here to sneak into or out of a door when someone walks through a door. It's physically impossible, and abusing mechanics like transitions is an exploit and metagaming.
I encourage OOC sit-downs around my evil characters and their intentions. Let's tell a story together.

Gods_Kill_People

Post by Gods_Kill_People » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:04 pm

Actually its been done many times, I know players who do it constantly, I won't name them because thats not right, but there are players that do it, its not an exploit, its legal.

Also yes, you could PVP them as it IS within the rules so long as you follow basic rules.

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Post by MalKalz » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:07 pm

Players are able to sneak through quarter doors. There is a risk of being caught due to debuffs. Breaking into someone's house though can lead to a dangerous situation if caught, so be cautious.

The rules of theft still apply - 1/24 hours. So, please be sure to abide by them.

Discord: @malkalz
Determine your Public CD Key here
Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.