Dicord Server/A few Questions

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Dantes-Quietus

Dicord Server/A few Questions

Post by Dantes-Quietus » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:41 am

Hi All,

I am really pumped about trying out Arelith. I also have quite a few questions. I couldn't find a related discord server for this. Maybe there isn't one? Well if there is one, could you point me in the right direction?

If there isn't one, I have a few basic questions for starters:

-Are the servers linked? Can I travel between them with the same character?
-The server states Level 1-40, but are there actual lvl 40 characters?
-What level of magic can I expect to find in the world?
-Do prestige classes require approval?
-Do general characters, or atypical characters, require approval?

I'll stop there.

Best,

Dante

PinataPlethora

Re: Dicord Server/A few Questions

Post by PinataPlethora » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:50 am

http:/discord.gg/ddbCpRX

The servers listed on the portal page are linked. All are accessible with the same character, by various in game means.

The player level cap is 30. DM avatars may be 40. Don't mess with them.

Magic level is mid to high, I'd say, but that's really a relative thing, so it's hard to say. Potions, scrolls, and wands are all common. Easily obtainable weapons go up to +3 AB, and easily obtainable armor goes up to +3 AC, generally. There are loads of magical items out there, but few that give any decisive edge.

Assassin, Harper Scout, Pale Master, and Shifter require approval, which can be obtained after character creation. Red Dragon Disciple requires a character retirement award.

As a rule of thumb, any character appearance that would not normally fit within the Forgotten Realms setting will require approval and possibly a character retirement award. Metalic skin, odd hair colors, etc... Custom subraces are not supported, but there is a wide selection to choose from, already. Certain archetypes may cause issues, if they're detrimental to the environment. My advice in this regard would be to make a basic character to start with, look around, and see what's out there. If you want to try something significantly different from what you've seen, ask a DM about it.

The Arelith Wiki is a great source of (mostly-ish) up to date information, but is best used as a reference to look up specific things. I wouldn't recommend diving into it and trying to figure out everything about how the server works, before playing. That way, madness lies, and less than half of it will make any kind of sense.

Dantes-Quietus

Post by Dantes-Quietus » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:58 am

Thank you! This is a good start. Very helpful

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:19 am

Sniped by PinataPlethora! I'll expand on a few of those points, just because... well, I've already written a bunch and I don't wanna delete it.

- The servers (Cities & Planes, Surface, and Distant Shores) are all indeed linked. Traveling between them is as simple as clicking on an area transition - your character, and everything about them, will automatically log out of one server and transfer to the destination server. Additionally, there are ships and other methods of transportation that can take you between servers, and in-character messages can be sent to characters on other servers as well.

- The 1-40 might be an erroneous Beamdog thing. Arelith's level range is 1-30, technically, though new characters are automatically leveled to 2, and can do a delivery quest to get to 3. There are characters everywhere between level 2 and 30 running around.

- I would probably categorize Arelith as medium-high magic. Weapons and armor generally cap at +4, though there are exceptions, mostly in the form of end-game, fairly niche crafted items. You won't find perma-haste or freedom items, and 7th/8th/9th/Epic spells have been associated with resources (spell components for arcane casters, piety for divine casters) that put at least some limit on the frequency of their use. That said, you will see summoned demons and dragons (usually not in the cities, unless there's something really exciting happening...), and you can also travel to other planes of existence. Magic is generally pretty accessible on Arelith - enchanting basins allow for customized equipment, and you'll find wands and powerful scrolls for sale just about everywhere. Use Magic Device is your best friend.

As a general resource, Arelith's wiki is really, really great. There's a team of volunteers that pour their sweat, blood, and rage into maintaining and updating it.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain