Dawn Cataclysm and Amaunator

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Seven Sons of Sin

Dawn Cataclysm and Amaunator

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:46 am

"At some point between the Time of Troubles and the end of the Spellplague, Lathander disappeared and was replaced by the resurrected Amaunator, presumably confirming the truth of the theory that the two were one and the same. Moreover, the formerly-lawful neutral Amaunator had apparently inherited the goodness of Lathander, as he was now lawful good."

What are the rules surrounding the worship of Lathander and Amaunator? Does Amaunator exist? Can you worship him?

Do clerics of Lathander know about the Dawn Cataclysm? Is knowledge of the Netherese god Amaunator widespread?
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Tashalar

Re: Dawn Cataclysm and Amaunator

Post by Tashalar » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:53 am

There's essentially a shrine to both Lathander and Amaunator outside Sibayad. So I'd presume that that's a yes.
#2: Archmage Swift's Spellduel Rules
#3: "But I'm An Abjurer, I Can't Conjure!"
#4: This Spellbook Is Fire
#5: Think For Once, Archmage Amana
#6: Cor, What A Stunner
#8: Sigermane Special
#9: What Is This, Cordor In The Fifties?

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:26 am

Even before Amaunator resurrected, there was a sect of Lathanderites who claimed that Lathander was the reborn Amaunator. They were regarded as heretics by orthodox Lathanderites, but you can definitely play a heretic PC if you want (and it won't necessarily be treated as heresy on Arelith).

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:45 pm

The confirmation that Lathander was Amaunator all along is 4th Ed stuff but like most "heresies", they're all true in the end. Your characters can't know that, though. You can totally play a Risen Sun heretic, or even better, the Three Faced Sun heresy, but they are not regarded as orthodox canon by most ICly - not that that should stop you.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Risen_Sun_heresy
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/T ... Sun_heresy

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

The Pretty Prince of Parties

Post by The Pretty Prince of Parties » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:18 pm

Amaunator also has some mortal worship amongst the Bedine, still, in the form of At'ar the Merciless. I believe you also run into Amaunator-related stuff in Baldur's Gate 2. It's not unreasonable at all to play a priest of Amaunator.

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:14 pm

Isn't At'ar the Merciless an alternate guise of Cyric? Might be wrong, but I vaguely remember reading something about that.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:18 pm

A'tar the Merciless is indeed Amaunator - or some part of him. Deity worship makes less in the Anauroch because Bedine don't have "clerics" in the same sense. And through my research, I believe if there was ever to be some sort of shaman, they wouldn't be of A'tar- he's a god that's feared, and invoked never for guidance or protection. Unlike the goddess of oasises.

The Bedine gods are all messed up.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

The Pretty Prince of Parties

Post by The Pretty Prince of Parties » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:32 pm

Hunter548 wrote:Isn't At'ar the Merciless an alternate guise of Cyric? Might be wrong, but I vaguely remember reading something about that.
No, no - that's N'asr. See, At'ar the Merciless is a female aspect of Amaunator, representing the harsh and unrelenting desert sun. She creeps across the sky each day to sneak into the tent of N'asr, their god of the dead and dying, who is an aspect of Cyric. This outrages her husband Kozah, an aspect of Talos, and causes him to rage and create vicious sandstorms and snowstorms.

But, yeah. The point I'm trying to make, is that Amaunator still has mortal worship - it's small, and it's strained, but it's present. And ever since the Time of Troubles, mortal worship is necessary for a god to survive - so it's entirely possible that Amaunator fields an extremely small field of clerics, who would probably quite desperately be seeking converts.