Making a painted character. ya or nah

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Oshido

Making a painted character. ya or nah

Post by Oshido » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:28 pm

I want to make a character that walks around painted white. Think tribal island jungle witch doctor that covers the body with a primitive white pigment of some sort. Body paint is pretty common in primitive tribes. I would put it in The description. There is a cool portrait that inspired this and I want to bring it to life. Obviously not going to be a Cordor commoner but perhaps a Sibayad or Sen native. Hailing from some remote tropical island. Would choosing a white skin colour fit this character or would o be called out by a dm?
:evil:

Wordless Truth

Re: Making a painted character. ya or nah

Post by Wordless Truth » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:53 pm

-Using white colour for your PCs skin doesn't really represent bodypaint all too well. Additionally, depending on the tone you choose, it might well be addressed by others, or DMs.

-Anyway, chances are if you choose a not-so-flashy tone of white, people perhaps wouldn't even notice.

Alternatively, there are some head models with facial tattoos I believe. You can choose tattoo colours, too. Perhaps that's suitable for your idea?

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:06 pm

"primitive", eh?

I'm hesitant because of your choice of words here, and not that you want to get whitefaced.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Oshido

Post by Oshido » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:18 pm

what the hell does that mean.?
Perhaps you are reading into this in a way that is completely unrelated.
Examples would be Amazonian tribesmen painting themselves red, The yellow pigment used in the movie The Green Inferno.
:evil:

PinataPlethora

Post by PinataPlethora » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:57 pm

I'd PM the DMs with your idea, before creating the character. Chances are, 99% of players will think you're some kind of albino, because it's pretty hard to let everyone know you're painted without spamming awkward emotes.

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:50 pm

Seven Sons of Sin wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:06 pm
"primitive", eh?
Anthropologists use it all the time.

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:55 pm

I'm pretty sure the word primitive was used specifically to refer to the pigment too. I doubt they were using high quality watercolours, so primative seems a pretty good world to describe it...

But yes - Much better to email the DM team with this sort of request. We can all sit here and tell you enthusastically it's amazing - If the DM team don't like it. You can't play it. Likewise we can tell you it's stupid, but the DM's might think it's amazing, and us disagreeing with each other in the comments won't help you at all.

Queen Titania
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Queen Titania » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:59 pm

I would suggest instead of using that as a skin tone, make use of the tattoo options, make those white, and have that be your tribal body paint. Pick a head option that reinforces your concept, and done. White blinding skin is just going to not work very well, and we would discourage it.
Please don't feed my sister.

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:07 pm

It would not look good at all even if DM's allowed it.

R0GUE
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by R0GUE » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:26 pm

Dr. B wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:50 pm
Seven Sons of Sin wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:06 pm
"primitive", eh?
Anthropologists use it all the time.
Mmmmm, they really don't. It implies cultural relativism which is seen an ethnocentric ideal, and has been avoided as a term since about the 1980's by academic and professional anthropologists.

Having said that we all know what the OP meant, he meant someone from a hunter gatherer society. Let's move on and not get in a fight about it.