Quarter Opinions Wanted

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

What_Evil_Lurks
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Quarter Opinions Wanted

Post by What_Evil_Lurks » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:46 am

So I have a character that has a quarter. Its a one room with a chest. I only play this character for a few hours every two or three days. I am playing another character more often. I feel a little guilty cause I really only use the room for storage and could probably store the crap on the guy though it would be inconvenient.

My question is: where do you draw the line for yourself when it comes to quarter hogging?
RED GANOT wrote:STEP 1: Stop being scared of conflict.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Quarter Opinions Wanted

Post by The Rambling Midget » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:01 am

Am I using the quarter? Does having this quarter improve my ability to play my character?

If neither of those is a yes, then I really don't need the quarter. The latter can be as simple as having too much stuff to walk around or perform the activities that my character normally would, but if that's the case then I'll generally try to reduce the load and dump the quarter when I'm back to a reasonable weight.

I believe in fluidity of quarter ownership. There are a lot of people who will grab a quarter and keep it even when they're not using it, because they're afraid that they won't be able to get another when they need it again, but availability is very rarely so bad that nothing can be found.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Twily » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:02 am

My main owns a quarter and I just today made a new character and began thinking the same for myself. If I continue to play the new character as much as I have been today, I'll be releasing the quarter. As it is now I don't know if the character will become my new main.

The way I'd judge it though: If I would feel guilty keeping it and I am certain that the character who owns it isn't going to make a big comeback any time soon, then I'd release it. Otherwise I'd hold onto it unless a DM(or possibly other players) say something, at which point I'd most likely release it without complaint.(or entirely without complaint if it's a DM)

caldura firebourne

Post by caldura firebourne » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:07 am

Had to ask myself this just earlier today, turns out giving up my quarter " even though it was awesome" did happen to open up a few avenues of RP, if need be I always have a few options open for storage, but it also helped me get rid of a bunch of things I really didn't need, as well as a cozy little profit selling them.
Plays as the monster in your closet

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:38 am

If i'm not using it often, but still want to justify owning it, i'll open it up to other players. The Arelith Science Institute and the public dojo, for example. If i'm not using it, and haven't set it up for other players to use, i'll just let the timer run out and see what happens. Same thing goes with shops.

RED GANOT
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by RED GANOT » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:48 am

Apartments (1x1 and 1x2) I am not as concerned about. They are really easy to find, and good if you just need storage space. If I am only using half of the storage, my character will tend to find a tenant. Good for people who have had no luck finding their own place, or simply cannot afford one. Creates some RP when you shake them down for rent or pull cling wrap over the chamberpot.

If I am selling on a quarter, I try my utmost (especially if it's a 'special' one, like a mansion, or something with more than one chest) to ensure that it goes to someone who will actually use it and share it. Usage is more important to me than gold, so I never 'auction' or 'let it go'. But I never, ever hold onto things for too long! It is always nice to let someone else have a turn.

I really wish there were bank vaults like in the UD for the Surface. Ideally in Sibayad...
When my brood and I soar on wings of fire, and wreak our scourge over Caer Callidyrr; your kith will fall and your kin will too- then what will all of Moonshae do?

Yma23

Post by Yma23 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:24 am

I kinda agree with Red Ganot. If it's a smal quarter - so long as I'm using it quite regularly (like a few times every week, using it to store stuff ect) then it's no problem.

A larger quarter, like one of the big houses, I feel like I need to use more often. And If I am not using them, I tend to be easy about loosing them.

Plonkers

Post by Plonkers » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:50 am

It isnt rocket science at least so i can bid in :D

To me its only my main chars that will own stuff both quarters and shops, just because i honestly dislike people quarter hugging the slightest, if you do not use it for anything but storage then you dont really use it since your inventory is as good for storage on a "rarely" played character.

And like red ganot, I often try to avoid the mainstream quarter owners that just want to own something big and flashy, the ones that get things are people more likely to do something with them.

But all this makes me gag over my own high and mightyness so i also depending on which char i main at the time, just sell to the highest bidding party because i can.
Last edited by Plonkers on Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:20 pm

From my point of view, all is about the chaarcter activity...

has your pc a life in Arelith or are you loging him just to keep storaging or doing gold, without any other extensive RP?

No matter if he is main or secondary, all time the character was alive, I find good to keep the quarter/shop/guild... If he became just a mule or a gold maker but not playing him really anymore, drop all and let other players have their chance too.
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:24 pm

sidenote: one of the worst things to ever happen on this server was the idea of "auctioning" quarters.

I'm of the opinion you shouldn't use a quarter for storage. I think there has to be more to it than that.

...unless it's one of those tiny rooms in the Social Club in Cordor. Those are small.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

IndifferentPerson

Post by IndifferentPerson » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:26 pm

Seven Sons of Sin wrote:sidenote: one of the worst things to ever happen on this server was the idea of "auctioning" quarters.
How dare you speak ill of me bidding my common house for 200.000 gold?

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:45 pm

Seven Sons of Sin wrote:...unless it's one of those tiny rooms in the Social Club in Cordor. Those are small.
And hilariously don't have a quarter chest (Which is why almost no one actually owns one for any length of time).

edit: WHOOP, yes, thank you archon.
Last edited by Hunter548 on Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

Archon

Post by Archon » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:52 pm

The Social Club quarters got chests. At least the one I got access to recently does. It must be the cheapest storage space at surface, 5k a room.

Cordor Commons though? Those are lacking a storage chest.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:55 pm

Archon wrote:Cordor Commons though? Those are lacking a storage chest.
Still very useful, though. Message boards, message boards, and message boards.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill