Forum RP

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Flayeriv

Forum RP

Post by Flayeriv » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:11 pm

Can we have a section of the forums dedicated to RP?

It's nice to be able to roleplay organising things with people, particularly to notify them of events transpiring outside their normal online hours.

Nitro

Re: Forum RP

Post by Nitro » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:14 pm

Flayeriv wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:11 pm
particularly to notify them of events transpiring outside their normal online hours.
But... That's literally metagaming.

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:18 pm

If you mean fine details like "Sally stabbed Samson like a sullen soldier", you have to be IG to share that detail.
If you want to tell your buddy that there's a raid or tower lecture going on at x time on y day at z location, then you can do that OOC if you want.

But it's extremely unlikely that the dev team will ever approve a secondary medium to facilitate 'canon' RP. It all must be done in the client.

Flayeriv

Post by Flayeriv » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:27 pm

It's not metagaming if you do it via IC means: Example "A note is left on your door reading etc."

Or conversely bulletins and such shown in game that are particularly in-depth can be posted on the forums, etc.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:56 pm

Arelith's held the custom that no player should need to use the forums to be aware of IG events for ever since I can remember.
:)

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:09 pm

Cortex wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:56 pm
Arelith's held the custom that no player should need to use the forums to be aware of IG events for ever since I can remember.
This basicaly.

Whilst a little bit of organization via forums/Discord ect exists and is fine, we really expect you to do all your roleplay In Game as it were.

There are services such as speedy messangers, notice boards, letters on doors, -factions ect, to ensure that to fully enjoy Arelith, you just need to log in. Forums membership should never be 'neccesary' to enjoy the game to it's full.

The other problem with this sort of thing is that forum rp is that it removed the chance for spy rp.

A speedy can be overheard. A letter can be apprehended. A message can be read. A spy can hide in a corner whlst you chat in your room. A conversation can be scried upon. All ways in which a third party can intercept and have fun with information. Which adds to the spying fun for other players. Form rp can never truly be spied/intercepted, and as such removes a very important aspect of IC interaction.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:15 pm

A lot of people use Discord to notify others of events, but it's mainly for purposes of schedulling; this is somewhat of a necessity, if people want to join organised events. Maybe in smaller circles people talk about actual IG stuff, as well, but that's out of our control and I don't think it should be endorsed further by changing the forum policy.

Something I have missed on Arelith that we had on Amia, however, are reaction stories to serverwide plots by DMs. There was a whole subforum dedicated to this labelled DM Events, where the DMs wrote about ongoing plots. For example, there were publications by the press that described current situations, more general stories that contained information about NPC moods and actions as reactions to player actions, and so on. I don't know if this has been discussed before but I don't want to derail the thread.
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:08 am

I don't believe the DM team have ever had issues with posts in the forum notifying people of the times of in game events.
As for 'Forumplay' that's all clarified above.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:04 pm

DM GrumpyCat wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:09 pm
Cortex wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:56 pm
This basicaly.

Whilst a little bit of organization via forums/Discord ect exists and is fine, we really expect you to do all your roleplay In Game as it were.
And thank goodness. Having played on another RP server on NWN2, it was so tedious to have to keep up with all the 'rumors in X city' threads that would come up daily on top of IC roleplay.

It's one thing fleshing out a backstory or extended leave reasons with another player, but full on forum RP is arduous and steals away time and quality from actually roleplaying in the game.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:45 pm

Arelith working hard to make its forums obsolete except for looking at updates is honestly one of the best parts about it.