Questions on riding

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

StrykerMontgomery

Questions on riding

Post by StrykerMontgomery » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:52 pm

Riding has had this implementation in arelith where last time I checked it was reward only. Has that changed? How does one go about acquiring a horse? Do they just respawn? Is mounted archery a thing and if so why do I not see it more often?
Currently played characters:
Have not played for over a year, thinking of returning again

Nitro

Re: Questions on riding

Post by Nitro » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:12 pm

The riding article on the wiki is correct as far as I know:
http://wiki.arelith.com/Riding
So no reward any longer, horse archery should work as in vanilla.
Horses spawn in different locations, arcane tower horses spawn at the tower, cordor horses at cordor, elvish horses at Myon etc.

PinataPlethora

Post by PinataPlethora » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:25 pm

Anyone can ride now, with 6 unmodified base ranks of the Ride skill. Horses spawn after a reset, but the ones that are publicly accessible are usually all dead after half a day.

You can only ride a horse outside, so you lose the benefits of Mounted Combat and Mounted Archery in probably half of the areas you'll visit. Unless you're playing a very specific outdoor only character, it's a terrible investment. Riding can turn a character without Tumble or bonus speed into a pretty deadly PvP chaser, though.

Kenji
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Kenji » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:35 pm

I play exclusively mounted archers all the time! People are just so used to melee builds (literally only 1 ranged build listed in the essential cookie-cutter build guide) that you don't see outside-the-box builds very often.

One thing about riding is that you can't hide (thus negates some sneak attack ab and dmg for rogues sometimes), and its speed increase isn't that great unless you invest a lot of skill points in it.

Kiting with horse archery is tricky business, Called Shot: Leg is a must, on top of that you only get 2 attacks in most of the time if you want to kite. I imagine it'd be the perfect counter for ground melee fighters in pvp, but suspectable to sneaking/invisible rogues since you can't tumble on horseback. Horse archery always procs Attacks of opportunity with either movement or ranged weaponry or both if any melee enemies ever got close.

Even with investment in riding, the character will not always be riding horses when indoors or in dungeons. It's still good to invest tumble, hide, and move silently if the character can.