-yoink IC/OOC knowledge?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Lindos

-yoink IC/OOC knowledge?

Post by Lindos » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:51 pm

Hello,

When someone uses the -yoink command, the person targeted gets a dialogue window which mentions the name of the person using the command.
What information does the person getting -yoinked get ICly?
Does the person know the name of the person -yoinking?

I was under the impression that was OOC information but if I'm incorrect, a definite response from the DMs would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
-J
Discord: Lindos#9637

Gods_Kill_People

Re: -yoink IC/OOC knowledge?

Post by Gods_Kill_People » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:55 pm

I have always been told you ICly know....but really it does seem a bit metaish to me....but I am not a DM.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:13 pm

For most situations, (granted not all) arelith runs on What You See is What You Get. So yeah, it's always been judged - in my experience, that the name you see in -Yoink is IC. Though of course if you want to rp it that you don't know who's summoning you, that's fine too!

But yeah, it's IC knowledge.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:16 pm

DM GrumpyCat wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:13 pm
For most situations, (granted not all) arelith runs on What You See is What You Get.
I'm really curious about situations where Arelith doesn't run on WYSIWYG.

The only ones I could think of making a case for are floating skulls around a character and sewer filth spilling up out of the well as you drink dirty water. But even then, it's very much visual and I wouldn't blame anyone for roleplaying it as seeing it.

PinataPlethora

Post by PinataPlethora » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:54 pm

In the interest of fair play, I generally will only have my characters "know" that they're being yoinked if they have enough Spellcraft to reliably identify top level spells. Otherwise, I act like I don't know or am helpless to stop it. Once the character's been yoinked a few times, it's fair to say they know the feeling, but they may still be unable to avoid it.

The only exception is if I know the player yoinking me to be a griefer.

WanderingPoet

Post by WanderingPoet » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:57 am

MissEvelyn wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:16 pm
DM GrumpyCat wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:13 pm
For most situations, (granted not all) arelith runs on What You See is What You Get.
I'm really curious about situations where Arelith doesn't run on WYSIWYG.

The only ones I could think of making a case for are floating skulls around a character and sewer filth spilling up out of the well as you drink dirty water. But even then, it's very much visual and I wouldn't blame anyone for roleplaying it as seeing it.
The floating names over your character's head are a good example!
Path_of_Play wrote:Fear, intimidation, anger - All these, the tyrant's tools.
Laughter, encouragement, play - not simply just for fools.
These tools reveal,
More is learned,
From another in an hour of play,
Than in a year of contention.

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:05 pm

I always rp it as a feeling etc... Since is seems really insane to me in a land where so many want to harm you to blindly accept a summon like that without knowing who is trying to summon you. You could also say it's ooc knowledge that if you don't know the name IC but you accept a yoink somehow knowing it's safe.