Usage of Latin/Old English in RP

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Tourmaline

Re: Usage of Latin/Old English in RP

Post by Tourmaline » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:18 pm

I think you either have a talent or skill for crafting accented dialogue or you don't. But you can't set too many rules about it because some of the best character voices I've seen would break all of them. Like typing all in lowercase, usually it does not work but every now and then it's just perfect for the character and their meek and humble voice. Or someone who drops a French word in occasionally, I've seen it where that one word evoked a whole cultural background and I've seen it where you just wonder if it's a French speaking player who let a native word slip in. Even with dwarf-speak and the thick Scottish-ish accent, there are some players who have a knack for delivering it perfectly and you hear the voice in your head, and some where all the parts are in the right place but it feels belabored and forced and is borderline unreadable.

You just have to roll with it and let people experiment as long as they're basically still using english. Yeah, immersion is broken some times, but immersion isn't everything and I'd rather see people take creative risks.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:08 am

Dost thou dislike the use of olde speech? Pray, tis oft most of use in displaying a dialect nay familiar to the layman's tongue, but of the same language.

I have a drow that speaks like this in Xanalress, to demonstrate a Great Bhaerynden regional dialect of the language. Since that region was the first to be colonized when the drow went underground, I figured their speech would be the most old fashioned compared to the fast growing drow cities of the western reaches of the UD.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

MoreThanThree

Post by MoreThanThree » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:50 am

Durvayas wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:08 am
I have a drow that speaks like this in Xanalress, to demonstrate a Great Bhaerynden regional dialect of the language.
Xanalress does not have informal second person pronouns, so it's just translating every single character like you were speaking Elven or any other language without a dictionary.
20 RPR GANG