Lances ~

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Rwby

Lances ~

Post by Rwby » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:08 pm

The Wiki article on riding references that you can only wield a lance while mounted in Arelith. [Makes sense!] However, there are no results at all for what a lance might be, what it does, and how you make one.

In base NWN it's a zero damage weapon with *3 Crit, which wouldn't be much fun if that's all it is here too!

Anyone know anything further?

Nitro

Re: Lances ~

Post by Nitro » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:41 pm

Edited out at DM request.
Last edited by Nitro on Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Queen Titania
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Queen Titania » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:48 pm

There is one example of a lance you can get IG does much more than 0 damage along with additional attributes.

For the rest, it is a weapon that you fight with while on horseback. It's benefits aren't recorded on the wiki because it is not something you craft, but randomly find/purchase.

(Nitro, I would not say its location on the forums.)
Please don't feed my sister.

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:58 pm

Well some information would be appreciated. Are lances the same as in the base game on Arelith? As they have certain pre-coded weakenesses [Can't use weapon feats, can't be targetted by magical effects] other weapons wouldn't have.

I appreciate not giving away locations in game, if they're uncraftable [Why are they uncraftable? They're not complex weapons to make.] But for the sake of transparency, something that documented lances did exist as a purchasable weapon and are modified in X ways from base NWN would be appreciated. It's hard enough to stumble through pages and pages of Arelith updates, pages and pages of entirely seperate accepted suggestions, and pages of Wiki entries when the information about game mechanics you need to look up isn't documented in any of them!

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:04 pm

DM Titania wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:48 pm
There is one example of a lance you can get IG does much more than 0 damage along with additional attributes.

For the rest, it is a weapon that you fight with while on horseback. It's benefits aren't recorded on the wiki because it is not something you craft, but randomly find/purchase.

(Nitro, I would not say its location on the forums.)
I presumed it wasn't a secret since the topic I linked has gone unmolested for a couple of months. I've edited it out of my previous comment now either way.

StrykerMontgomery

Post by StrykerMontgomery » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:09 pm

Yes, lets keep a weapon designed for gorse warfare a complete secret from thise trying yo visualize knight characters who don't always wield a scimitar.

(As a casual player, find out in game usually means "this content will never be accessed by you in decades to come")
Currently played characters:
Have not played for over a year, thinking of returning again

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:02 pm

foig for a lance is stupid.

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:04 pm

The base game flaws of the lance are still present in Arelith. It has 0 base damage, is not supported by feats, and is not treated by the engine as a melee weapon. Until that is fixed, I wouldn't recommend planning a character around its use.

I would flag Beamdog about the issue, as it is a problem they are better-positioned to resolve.
Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:15 am

yellowcateyes wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:04 pm
The base game flaws of the lance are still present in Arelith. It has 0 base damage, is not supported by feats, and is not treated by the engine as a melee weapon. Until that is fixed, I wouldn't recommend planning a character around its use.

I would flag Beamdog about the issue, as it is a problem they are better-positioned to resolve.
Absolutely, both lances and trumpets are incomplete in NWN. Neither has any stats, and cannot easily be given unique properties by developers.

I would love to see both of these 'fixed', so definitely something to take to the Beamdog forums, or mentioned during one of their Twitch streams.

I also did a top 5 classes we'd like to see on EE on our twitter feed, and position 1 would be impossible without that change to the base game!

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:46 am

Well sure.
That would just be amazing. Cavalry charges. Arelith Style. I'm in.

Kalyco

Post by Kalyco » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:53 am

Another vote for a battle lance - tournament lances existed in the past ( maybe zero damage makes sence] but it was the battle lance was a commen weapon weapon and did a lot more damage than it's sporting cousin - ask any respectable dragon!