How much Str to lift things with one hand?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Void

How much Str to lift things with one hand?

Post by Void » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:44 am

I've been wondering how much Str my character would need to pull a darth vader lift. Meaning lifting someone with one hand by their collar. Or at least with two hands.

Is there a rule for that somewhere? Pounds per point of strength.

For example, is this correct?:
Lifting and Dragging
A character can lift as much as his or her maximum load over his or her head.

A character can lift as much as double his or her maximum load off the ground, but he or she can only stagger around with it. While overloaded in this way, the character loses any Dexterity bonus to AC and can move only 5 feet per round (as a full-round action).

A character can generally push or drag along the ground as much as five times his or her maximum load. Favorable conditions can double these numbers, and bad circumstances can reduce them to one-half or less.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/carryingCapacity.htm
Another forum ban, here we go again.

Cortex

Re: How much Str to lift things with one hand?

Post by Cortex » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:21 am

any str based char could do this and nobody would blink an eye
:)

Ozzy.nl

Post by Ozzy.nl » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:43 am

I would say if you wish points. Around 15 maybe for two hands and 18 for one hand.

Then again as Cortex said. If any strencht based char would pull this feat no one would blink a eye. Or ask about how many point of strength you have.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:41 am

Pretty much what Cortex said, although if you're a gnome lifting an ogre, you might get an odd look. Also, beware of god-emoting when doing this sort of thing to other PCs. As in:

*reaches out, grabbing Scrumblebum Fuzzytoes by the collar and hoisting him off his feet*

The problem with this is that it basically denies the character being lifted the opportunity to react to your attempt to grab him. Whenever I'm going to emote something that has my character physically affecting another PC, I try to phrase it in such a way that makes it clear that this is what my character is trying to do, rather than as something that is happening. So, to quickly modify the earlier example:

*reaches out, attempting to grab Scrumblebum Fuzzytoes by the collar and hoist him off his feet*

This is cool, because it allows the other player to react. Perhaps they'll emote trying to duck away, or perhaps (and I often find this to be the case) they'll play along and get hoisted.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

StrykerMontgomery

Post by StrykerMontgomery » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:48 pm

I remembered when dwarves use to try god emoting my strength based goblin barbarian. So not cool.
Currently played characters:
Have not played for over a year, thinking of returning again

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:32 am

Yeah, I'd be wary about god emoting or doing weird things like picking up ogres as a goblin.

THAT SAID

In P&P, you can lift the average person with equipment (180 pounds, for sake of the argument) off the ground at 10 or 11 strength, and lift them over your head at 15-16 strength. It's worth remembering that player characters are actively superhuman even at level 1.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

StrykerMontgomery

Post by StrykerMontgomery » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:32 am

Hunter548 wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:32 am
Yeah, I'd be wary about god emoting or doing weird things like picking up ogres as a goblin.

THAT SAID

In P&P, you can lift the average person with equipment (180 pounds, for sake of the argument) off the ground at 10 or 11 strength, and lift them over your head at 15-16 strength. It's worth remembering that player characters are actively superhuman even at level 1.
Yeah I get into arguments about run speed every time I play real DnD because of this issue. I pretty much have to reference that the world's fastest sprinter still sprints faster than a low-mid level monk. Essentially the average hero.. is a hero (go figure) and at least a mediocre athlete's ability of fitness.
Currently played characters:
Have not played for over a year, thinking of returning again