Wizards/Sorcerers PvP

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Alantar
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Wizards/Sorcerers PvP

Post by Alantar » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:39 am

Hello,

I'd like to know how do you see wizards or sorcerers at PvP nowadays.

IMHO (I consider myself a noob, especially at PvP), they're not in a very good position due to several reasons:

1. Almost every build is able to cast TS, Mordenkainen, WoF, FoM, Banishment, Mantles, etc. So they can break your sanctuary, impede you from summoning your dragon, etc.

2. The -pray command, an excellent way to get rid of the Bigby line of spells, one of your best chances to survive as a wizard.

3. Many builds have very high saves, due to Spellcraft, so they are quite magic resistant.

4. HP pool. Without a successful hand or control spell, a wizard doesn't have the time to burn those 500-600-700 hp before being obliterated. And, of course, if your enemy uses two or three Heal potions you'll need to start all over again, but you'll need to wait for... 4 min before being able to cast another sanctuary or TS.

I'm not asking for changes, rebalanced classes, etc. I just wanted to share my point of view and know yours, that's all. Besides, wizards are not tier one at PvP, but they're not so bad either.

Thanks.

Nitro

Re: Wizards/Sorcerers PvP

Post by Nitro » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:24 am

Timestop into Hellball/GRuin/IGMS and then keep nuking. This presumes you have your buffs up and enough discipline to not be knockdown bait, most people will prefer to take an extra turn to dispel the acid sheath before trying to take you down which gives you more time to try to blast them down.

Alantar
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Alantar » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:29 pm

Nitro wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:24 am
Timestop into Hellball/GRuin/IGMS and then keep nuking. This presumes you have your buffs up and enough discipline to not be knockdown bait, most people will prefer to take an extra turn to dispel the acid sheath before trying to take you down which gives you more time to try to blast them down.
Yes, that could be a viable option, but only available to those who have ESF:Evo and both GR and HB, besides the mandatory class dip for discipline and ESF:Discipline.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:30 pm

Well, other than that I guess you could pop timestop, summon(s), invis/sanc and then run around a corner and pray they can't find you and/or spam dispels in the hope of getting rid of their truesight/see invis.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:51 pm

Lots of builds actually have at least one bad save. Bigby for reflex, flesh to stone for fortitude, and you got a collection of will spells to screw people with (after their clarity wears off or you dispel the mind blank). If they're a pal/BG, you have to fall back on flat damage and summons or get creative.
:)

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:03 pm

If you're going to PvP as a mage, bring your friends.

flower

Post by flower » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:16 pm

Employ many slow / disable area of effect spells. Many can stack with each other. Cloud to lower endurance (fewer hps to go trough).

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:47 pm

Just fight idiots and you should be fine.

Anomander

Post by Anomander » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:19 am

I couldn't disagree more. I think Sorcerers in particular are tremendously powerful in PVP. Both against Wizards and any other class. The exception probably being monks or some other combo designed specifically to counter. You just have to build them specifically for that purpose.