“A pirate I was meant to be..”

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Jagel

“A pirate I was meant to be..”

Post by Jagel » Sat May 26, 2018 9:12 am

“... trim the sails and roam the sea”

Is there a description of the pirate path/background, the various ranks etc. or is it all FOIG?

Baseili

Re: “A pirate I was meant to be..”

Post by Baseili » Sun May 27, 2018 9:04 am

Theres not much information about the pirate tattoo only that it allows access to Sencliff (quarters/shops/boats), the smugglers and prevents you from taking part in settlement leadership. The ranks aren't detailed either, though if memory serves the team is currently working on the system as right now they're just displays of seniority among seadogs with Greenhorn being the lowest and Dread Pirate the highest.

I'm not sure how much is intended to be FOIG but the few things that should be known are: 1. The tattoo is permanent, 2. Its displayed on your characters examine information and 3. The higher your pirate rank the easier it is for other to see (Lore check).

I should add a fair warning that having the tattoo on your examine sheet means you will be called out on it regardless of what you do, even if your character has no exposed skin or is caught doing non-pirate things. It was being discussed in this thread until it decended into 101 ways to spot a Drow. If theres anything else you'd like to know about being a pirate feel free to ask and I'll answer the best I can.

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Sun May 27, 2018 5:47 pm

Thanks, a very comprehensive answer.

Do pirates have any special connectiong to the ship system?

MoreThanThree

Post by MoreThanThree » Sun May 27, 2018 6:08 pm

Jagel wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 5:47 pm
Do pirates have any special connectiong to the ship system?
Sencliff has a variety of pirates-only ships for pirates to rent and sail with.
20 RPR GANG

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Sun May 27, 2018 6:21 pm

Door-hinge?

Baseili

Post by Baseili » Sun May 27, 2018 6:38 pm

Aside from the rentable boats, no, pirates have no special connections or utility with the ship systems at present. Every ship can perform the same actions as the pirate ships with the notable exceptions of the Flagship and the Ironhelm who both have the ability to hunt down players on the seas.

Booksarefun

Post by Booksarefun » Sun May 27, 2018 6:40 pm

You currently gets access to two rentable boats, a bunch of one-off quests that dictate your rank off of how much you do, pirate-specific stalls and houses all in exchange for not being able to participate mechanically in elections and being spotted as an evil guy at worst and a secret harper at best. The ranks itself have no use yet and if you rolled a pirate now, you'd be investing in what the potential of Sencliff can be rather than what it is now.

It's also really easy to get ranks right now which probably won't always be the case, especially when (if) things get seperated based on rank.

Boat combat is very basic at the moment, basically on occasions you can board actual player ships (with the boat guards on both sides doing nothing) but you'd best do that with a crew because the ones with an actual non-pirate boat are probably high level and with a group themselves. PvP has the potential to happen, but you're not going to do it by yourself typically unless you simply don't care.

A lot of boat stuff is also potentially high level with some notable exceptions, which makes playing a low level pirate basically the same as playing a low level character as you'll be sailing to Cordor to do your writs. Creatures that are low level in Sencliff and on the few low-level encounters are tougher than average which you'll need to do with a group if you aren't a warlock or something with infinite summons.

I left out the encounters and a few easter eggs a savvy buccaneer finds out playing a pirate. Sencliff holds no elections themselves so this makes the entire area basically anarchy and hard to self-govern for whatever reason you may want to do that, However, despite it being anarchy you still pay a 10% tax to the great unknown when owning a stall or house so even Sencliff isn't safe from theft of your hard-earned GPs.

As a final note, monster characters can not be pirates mechanically but some still join player-made crews and participate in the rentable boat action and chilling in shared pirate-only compounds. You may find a drow or a goblin on occassion as a result and you can theoretically be that old sea dog by playing a Gnoll if you did find a crew.

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Tue May 29, 2018 7:47 pm

Dr. B wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 6:21 pm
Door-hinge?
There’s my guy !