Disguise. I miss it.

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Dachlatte

Disguise. I miss it.

Post by Dachlatte » Wed May 23, 2018 1:46 pm

No idea if this was posted already, but is there a chance we can get the Disguise system back anytime soon?
Regards!
A rogue

PinataPlethora

Re: Disguise. I miss it.

Post by PinataPlethora » Wed May 23, 2018 3:26 pm

Waiting on the NWNX team. No promises.

Dachlatte

Post by Dachlatte » Wed May 23, 2018 4:00 pm

Thank you. It feels good that someone cares. No stress.

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Post by MalKalz » Wed May 23, 2018 4:03 pm

When Liareth has time they may be able to work on it.

Discord: @malkalz
Determine your Public CD Key here
Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.

Void

Post by Void » Wed May 23, 2018 4:35 pm

DM Spyre wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 4:03 pm
When Liareth has time they may be able to work on it.
Is there a specific issue, or is it something that can only be solved with beamdog cooperation?
Another forum ban, here we go again.

PinataPlethora

Post by PinataPlethora » Wed May 23, 2018 5:57 pm

My understanding is that there's a NWNX plugin required to make the disguise system work, but every time Beamdog updates EE, the NWNX plugins have to be tweaked to match. It was nice and stable for the years when 1.69 was definitive, but now that the game is in development again, NWNX will have to be actively developed alongside it. That takes more work than just making a plugin and being finished, so there will likely be fewer consistently available plugins until EE development settles down.

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Wed May 23, 2018 6:43 pm

We traded Disguise for Individualized Armor Part Coloring

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Wed May 23, 2018 7:24 pm

My heart goes out to the career disguise players.
\

Void

Post by Void » Wed May 23, 2018 9:04 pm

PinataPlethora wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 5:57 pm
My understanding is that there's a NWNX plugin required to make the disguise system work, but every time Beamdog updates EE, the NWNX plugins have to be tweaked to match. It was nice and stable for the years when 1.69 was definitive, but now that the game is in development again, NWNX will have to be actively developed alongside it. That takes more work than just making a plugin and being finished, so there will likely be fewer consistently available plugins until EE development settles down.
Can someone throw nwnx plugin source at me?

Dunshine
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Dunshine » Wed May 23, 2018 9:07 pm

You can get it here and help out if you have the skillset: https://github.com/nwnxee/unified

Void

Post by Void » Wed May 23, 2018 9:16 pm

Dunshine wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 9:07 pm
You can get it here and help out if you have the skillset: https://github.com/nwnxee/unified
Thanks for the link.

Gable Morninglord
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Gable Morninglord » Wed May 23, 2018 11:07 pm

Not having -disguise is a HUGE PITA.

I hope this gets resolved quick.
Man of Action.

Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia » Wed May 23, 2018 11:43 pm

BegoneThoth wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 7:24 pm
[Sheds a single tear.]

It's my understanding (if I'm not mistaken) that NWNX_NAMES is more arduous to update than some of the others. I seriously can't wait for it but I haven't been holding my breath.

Done.

Shadowy Reality
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Shadowy Reality » Wed May 23, 2018 11:53 pm

Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 11:43 pm
BegoneThoth wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 7:24 pm
[Sheds a single tear.]

It's my understanding (if I'm not mistaken) that NWNX_NAMES is more arduous to update than some of the others. I seriously can't wait for it but I haven't been holding my breath.
If you have a peek at the Names plugin you'll see that there's some sort of really low-level things going on, it seems only slightly better than Assembly at some points, I do not envy whoever maintains and develops that, I do however respect it.

ReverentBlade

Post by ReverentBlade » Thu May 24, 2018 2:34 am

I'll be the contrarian and say that I've found the server more enjoyable without it. My character can pierce most disguises anyway so it's not like it severely -diminished- my enjoyment, but it did feel like it was limiting my interactions. I couldn't come up with a justifiable excuse to break character enough to interact with these disguised people. When you're running around obviously trying to obfuscate your identify, most normal people would assume they are criminals and avoid them.

Having previously been a "career evil" player on other servers, I can definitely see the use and appeal of a disguise system, but I feel like there's probably better ways to handle that RP.

triaddraykin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by triaddraykin » Thu May 24, 2018 5:56 am

I've chatted briefly with the NWNX team on their discord server, and to their knowledge, no one is working on it.
Alia: The uncanny knack of Angela Amana to make the otherwise perpetually well-mannered girl lose her temper and be HORRIBLY ASHAMED afterwards.

Who on the Team to PM and When
Public Tower Discord
Tower Library
Scroll, Wand, & Potion Costs

Gods_Kill_People

Post by Gods_Kill_People » Thu May 24, 2018 7:10 am

Honestly...I just got to the point of putting an OOC notice in my Bio

(( This character is often disguised as X, please check the text box to ensure you have broken my disguise, thank you ))

Void

Post by Void » Thu May 24, 2018 11:16 am

Gods_Kill_People wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 7:10 am
Honestly...I just got to the point of putting an OOC notice in my Bio

(( This character is often disguised as X, please check the text box to ensure you have broken my disguise, thank you ))
Speaking of which, it would be great if disguise info appeared on top of the bio and not at the bottom, where a lot of people can miss it.

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Thu May 24, 2018 2:01 pm

ReverentBlade wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 2:34 am
I'll be the contrarian and say that I've found the server more enjoyable without it. My character can pierce most disguises anyway so it's not like it severely -diminished- my enjoyment, but it did feel like it was limiting my interactions. I couldn't come up with a justifiable excuse to break character enough to interact with these disguised people. When you're running around obviously trying to obfuscate your identify, most normal people would assume they are criminals and avoid them.

Having previously been a "career evil" player on other servers, I can definitely see the use and appeal of a disguise system, but I feel like there's probably better ways to handle that RP.
I've wanted to return to Arelith, but unfortunately my character in question hinged on the entire idea of anonymity. It's been difficult to rethink how I can get around it while maintaining the same level of fun and interactivity.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Thu May 24, 2018 3:57 pm

triaddraykin wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 5:56 am
I've chatted briefly with the NWNX team on their discord server, and to their knowledge, no one is working on it.
RIP Bluff
\

Void

Post by Void » Thu May 24, 2018 6:11 pm

Speaking of which, can someone tell me which plugin was responsible for renaming characters in general?

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Thu May 24, 2018 7:14 pm

NWNX_NAMES from what I gather in the topic

Phoxly

Post by Phoxly » Sun May 27, 2018 10:05 pm

*uses disguise anyway knowing people will metagame without realizing it*

Thanks Bhaal. :'(

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Mon May 28, 2018 1:28 am

[Laughs in Cyric]

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Mon May 28, 2018 1:58 am

Seven Sons of Sin wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 2:01 pm
ReverentBlade wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 2:34 am

I've wanted to return to Arelith, but unfortunately my character in question hinged on the entire idea of anonymity. It's been difficult to rethink how I can get around it while maintaining the same level of fun and interactivity.
Quite simply, you can't. I know of a person who tried, whose entire line of RP was compromised, and myself and another player entirely gave up trying our own crime syndicate RP because its simply nonviable without being metagamed, and once that cat is out of the bag, there's no going back.

Play another character; until disguise is fixed, there is literally no point playing any kind of concept that relies even a little bit on being unrecognizable.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)