Copy/Paste from Notepad++ in EE

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Skibbles
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Copy/Paste from Notepad++ in EE

Post by Skibbles » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:59 pm

Hello.

Is anyone else having problems copy and pasting large amounts of text from notepad into the IG custom macro to create a description or note by any chance?

You used to be able to get a good deal of formatted text into a window but now it seems to be broken. You can barely squeeze in a lengthy sentence and no formatting seems to be allowed.

Anyone find a solution for this or is it just me?
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

Void

Re: Copy/Paste from Notepad++ in EE

Post by Void » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:53 pm

Skibbles wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:59 pm
Hello.

Is anyone else having problems copy and pasting large amounts of text from notepad into the IG custom macro to create a description or note by any chance?

You used to be able to get a good deal of formatted text into a window but now it seems to be broken. You can barely squeeze in a lengthy sentence and no formatting seems to be allowed.

Anyone find a solution for this or is it just me?
I made an in-game item with HUGE description once, with EE it is a chinese water torture and can take hours.

It is not possible to copy-past meaningful amounts of content from notepad to EE.

First, EE doesn't handle line-breaks/newlines. If you paste a text with newline, the game interprets the newline as "end of the message", and ignores anything beyond that.

Second, there's a limit on amount of text the game can send at once. The limit is quite tiny, most likely around 256 characters or something like that, maybe even smaller. Anything beyond that limit is cut off.

Meaning.... if you try to, say, past description with a book text, you'll have to waste ton of time doing it (most likely hours). You'll need to use "append as new paragraph", "append to existing paragraph", "append to existing paragraph on a new line", etc. Also, you'll have to split it into small pieces, and add one piece at a time

For example, this is an amount of text you should be able to send in one go:
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur.
Something around that. Anything beyond that will be cut off.

I'd recommend to report this to beamdog as a bug. This problem makes writing large custom descriptions incredibly painful.
Another forum ban, here we go again.