Tradeskills for Weapon/armor enchanting?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Gnaela

Tradeskills for Weapon/armor enchanting?

Post by Gnaela » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:01 am

What trade skills should I get for enchanting armor and weapons? I'm intending to stack as much keen on a weapon as I can later on, as well as some basic(or not so basic!) stuff on the armor(which will be full plate). I'm leveling as a caster/melee hybrid thing, and the vast majority of my levels will be spent in caster classes. What other feats/skills would I want besides just the tradeskills?

I know this is a very mechanic heavy questions for an rp server and I apologize! I'm just going for a specific flavor with the build and I want to make it as effective as possible, because I'm certain the build itself will turn out lackluster with my luck and I don't wanna be the person people have to pick up and carry out of an 8 hour rp expedition

Gods_Kill_People

Re: Tradeskills for Weapon/armor enchanting?

Post by Gods_Kill_People » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:02 am

you need a caster for that, who focuses in Enchanting.

Gnaela

Post by Gnaela » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:13 am

Like, start of the game choose my spell set focus?
Well I may have already messed up on that, sorry!

SockYeti
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by SockYeti » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:16 am

The feat Spell Focus (enchanting) is what you want to take. After that then you can start learning putting skill points on items
Talg Two Fingers - A mighty Trog fighting for his brothers.

Retired:
Poe Pimmin - the bard looking for his song
Brugga Stonehelm - the not so priestly priest of Moradin

Gnaela

Post by Gnaela » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:28 am

Oh, ok. What level would I get that at if I can? Caster level, that is

Gods_Kill_People

Post by Gods_Kill_People » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:28 am

So long as your set focus does not block you from taking Spell focus Enchantment at one of the feat levels, you can take it at any Feat level, which is every 3rd lvl

Gnaela

Post by Gnaela » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:34 am

Alright, I'll look for it next time I get a caster level with a feat to it, thank you.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:31 pm

as an arcane caster do not forget full plate gives you that 45% chance of spell failure if you cast in armor. and keen is keen there are no levels or stacking to it, but most items to get it are a 5% roll in the basin
Yes I can sign

Maladus

Post by Maladus » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:17 pm

This also begs the question of if you wanted a spellcaster/melee hybrid why didn’t you go Spellsword? If you DID go Spellsword, disregard my comment and use Geensteel Armor since it will allow you to cast in your armor with no penalty.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:02 pm

Spellsword has been disabled pretty much since EE - likely why a new player is not a Spellsword.

Gnaela

Post by Gnaela » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:39 pm

I'm intending to go PM/Fighter/Wiz hybrid once I earn the RPR to warrant a token, and if not I'll be 15/15 wiz/fighter. I'm intending to take automatic still spell late game and use adamant armor.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:34 pm

For more information about enchanting, see the Enchantment Basin page on the the wiki.

Do be aware that enchanting adamantine armor gets very expensive very quickly, as it will always be only a 5% chance of success (unless the adamantine armor is runic, and getting a tier 2 rune for armor isn't easy or cheap). Also be aware that 15 levels of wizard is not enough for 9th circle spells (for those you need 17 wizard), which means you can't take Epic Spell Focus: Enchantment. ESF Enchantment both decreases that gold cost a further 15%, and increases the chance of enchanting a runic item to 100%.

Ideally, an enchanter will also know all of the following languages in order to be able to enchant items with a variety of runes:
Elven
Xanalress (Drow)
Dwarven
Draconic
Celestial
Abyssal
Infernal

Lastly... fighter/mage hybrid builds tend to be pretty meh on Arelith - that's why the Spellsword path was created in the first place. You're certainly welcome to try it, but understand that it will be challenging!
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Gnaela

Post by Gnaela » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:41 am

I am already feeling the squishyness of a character five or so levels below me, which is why I'm trying to focus more on developing my character.
But yea! I intended to take those anyway, so I'm glad to know the actual degree of improvement I'll see with the feats.