Im lost

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Iannos

Im lost

Post by Iannos » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:25 am

So here is what happened:

I was at Skal, literally sitting on a bench. Then some kind of crash happens.

Me and some other players appear near 2 portals. One says surface, the other I am not sure, maybe underground/underdark, cannot remember. I enter the Surface one and my character appears in a completely new place. I have no money on me, so I take a loan form the bank, move back and forth to different areas with the caravan, no luck.

Can't find the way to Skal.

Any ideas what should I do? Tried contacting a DM, no luck so far, going to try later as well.

Now I'm stuck at Mayfield's Junction by the way.

Baron Saturday

Re: Im lost

Post by Baron Saturday » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:26 am

Unfortunately you're gonna need a DM. I think the only IC way back to Skal from Arelith is to take a player-owned boat in summertime? So that's probably not an option.

The lack of a Distant Shores (Skal) portal in that entry area is an oversight that needs to be looked at, though.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Dragonovith
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Dragonovith » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:44 am

Baron Saturday wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:26 am
Unfortunately you're gonna need a DM. I think the only IC way back to Skal from Arelith is to take a player-owned boat in summertime? So that's probably not an option.

The lack of a Distant Shores (Skal) portal in that entry area is an oversight that needs to be looked at, though.
If I recall correctly, there should be an area transition between the two portals which leads you back to Skal.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:30 am

Entry has 3 things.

1 portal to each other server
A transition between them to the main 'area' of the server you're on.

If you're on the right server, hit the middle.
\

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:33 am

I always forget about the area transition. It's kinda easy to miss if you don't know it's there.

Iannos

Post by Iannos » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:15 am

This is going to sound really stupid, but is there a map in game or out of game that shows the entire island?

Or even the caravan routes?

I believe it's only normal that I do not understand the location names the caravan master mentions.

This is getting really frustrating and it breaks my game experience.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:24 am

There's an IG one in Cordor.

Edit: Also check out this thread. That said, if you're hoping to see where Skal is, be warned that it's not on any maps. A DM is your best bet for getting back!

Iannos

Post by Iannos » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:58 am

You will be amazed how contradictory people get when giving directions for Cordor in game.

I think I will try one more time to find a dm tonight. Third time 's the charm.

Thank you all for your time.

Iannos

Post by Iannos » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:37 pm

Walking home has become quite a tale.

It seems the only way to Cordor is on foot. No caravan from the Junction. The elves in the mainland suggested Cordor as well. I walked all the way there, hidden in shadows past several ambushes.

Unfortunately in Cordor there is no ship for Skal. There is however one for Crow's Nest, but I am broke. I asked around and it seems Crow's Nest is quite a port. I will stay in Cordor for a while to make some money and then Crow's Nest it is.

From there let's hope I will find a ship for Skal.

No response from a DM yet by the way, but I still have my hopes up.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:41 pm

Cordor is another starting place like Skal is, if you find you cant find a ship to take you home, just less snow
Yes I can sign

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:57 pm

At this point you might at well embrace your new life on the main island. XD

Maladus

Post by Maladus » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:19 pm

Honestly the best way to reach DM’s are through the private messages on the forums or the Discord.

Iannos

Post by Iannos » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:55 pm

Last night I found a stranger in game in Cordor, who gave me precise directions on which ships to take and what stops to make on my way back to Skal. He also gave me enough money to cover my travelling expenses. The only thing he asked in return was to deliver a message to his in game friends in Skal.

Thanks to him, I am now at the last port before Skal, but t seems that it is not possible to move any further. At least not before the winter season passes. The local players there told me that it's not possible to go further north for now.

I had no idea that Arelith had seasons. Later I will search the wiki on season duration info and how these affect gameplay.

Also, I find it somehow strange that during winter you may travel from Skal but not to Skal.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:20 pm

Iannos wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:55 pm
I had no idea that Arelith had seasons. Later I will search the wiki on season duration info and how these affect gameplay.

Also, I find it somehow strange that during winter you may travel from Skal but not to Skal.
The only thing the wiki says about seasons is that they affect the weather (more snow and rain in fall/winter, more sun in spring/summer). Season durations are the same as IRL - 3 months. They correspond, roughly, to RL seasons. At a guess, summer is months 6-8, fall is 9-11, winter is 12-2, and spring is 3-5.

Initially travel away from Skal was also limited to summer months, but as it is meant to be sort of an intro area that characters leave around the time they hit the teen levels, the admin team changed it so that characters would be able to leave more easily when they were ready to do so.