Drow Houses

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Drow Houses

Post by Durvayas » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:21 pm

Being frank, I strongly doubt noble content will ever come to the UD, because nobility in the UD does not play by any of the same rules that it does on the surface. Its less of an inborn trait, and more of something one acquires through work. Its very dynamic, which is something the gift system is not. To a drow, a noble from a fallen house is no different than a commoner, and deserves no more respect than a peasant. You are noble only so long as your character belongs to a noble house. Literally nothing else matters.

To pretend otherwise is, frankly, naiive.

You are giving intentionally bad advice to impressionable new people Begonethoth, with a hearty side helping of condescending "You're doing it wrong" commentary.

I'm going to go ahead and request a thread lock at this point.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:24 pm

DM Titania wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:21 pm
For the record, you can RP a noble without mechanical reinforcement , you just will not have anything mechanically reinforcing it. This could be preferable for someone planning on taking the epic reputation feat down the line. Obviously its advised to probably take the feat if you are RPing a noble, a solid way of having your nobility known down the road.

Also for the record, we don't give out nobility status DM side. Feat, formerly picked Noble Background, settlement selected, or minor reward picked are the ways of obtaining it.
I did not know it was not handed out. Good to know, Thanks!
\

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:50 pm

http://dnd.arkalseif.info/feats/races-o ... index.html

There are feats in Faerun which explicitly can only be taken if you are a Noble Drow, something which manifests in roughly 1 in 100 Drow on birth, completly inborn and having absolutely nothing to do with what House you're related to.

Let's not pretend Drow do not have nobles, because they absolutely do. They are even called "Noble Drow", and they are deferred to with a ridiculous amount of respect, especially females, because by their birth they have access to a special array of powers (i.e. BLESSINGS FROM LOLTH) no one else has access to aside from specific class levels - class levels a female, for example, may not want to take because they are going down the road of a Priestess.

~~

Aside from that, telling people to not take the Noble Reward that has been explicitly expanded, and has been stated by DMs and Devs and Irongron himself to be expanding in use and scope across the server as well as stated as THE way to mechanically backup what you're doing is pretty disingenuous. We have a DM post saying what the Noble Reward does and what it means. PCs can RP whatever they like, but it doesn't change facts.

ed: fixed Gift from Reward to reflect what it actually is now

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:42 pm

Uh, so somebody pretends to be noble and someone else doesn't want to acknowledge them as such and challenges their claim? That sounds like RP to me

Miskol
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Miskol » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:53 am

It should be noted that there is a way to get the epic reputation feat for free within Arelith (find out in game). If your character is fearless and strong, it isn't impossible to have others in Andunor recognize them for it.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:03 am

It's on an item, not quite 'free,' and you risk character deletion.

I don't think people that are opposed to taking the 'noble gift' are the types that are going to be doing that.
\

Xanos950

Post by Xanos950 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:48 am

demanding respect because you're a "noble on charactersheet" when all it takes is somebody to bash your corpse in because they have higher numbers than you is as nonsensical as slave characters who are actually allowed to fight.

If you want to waste your award (not like there's anything else good to pick on that bracket) then go ahead, pick noble, play noble, embrace nobility as most people in the UD will ignore it anyway. Telling people to pick the award to be a noble however is kind of meh.

In a backwater city like Andunor anyone could claim nobility, and no one will shrug twice.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:31 am

Xanos950 wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:48 am
demanding respect because you're a "noble on charactersheet" when all it takes is somebody to bash your corpse in because they have higher numbers than you is as nonsensical as slave characters who are actually allowed to fight.

If you want to waste your award (not like there's anything else good to pick on that bracket) then go ahead, pick noble, play noble, embrace nobility as most people in the UD will ignore it anyway. Telling people to pick the award to be a noble however is kind of meh.

In a backwater city like Andunor anyone could claim nobility, and no one will shrug twice.
That seems like a really disparaging and self-defeatist attitude to have.

There's no reason you can't be a noble and also have high numbers, nor is there a reason you can't be a drow noble in Andunor which is a city literally ruled by two noble drow houses, so there's plenty of in-built stuff to work with.
\

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Iceborn » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:42 am

While you don't need to the noble award to claim nobility, there is nothing wrong with having it.
Don't expect other characters to remotely act on your claims of it, but the less cynicism-inclined members of the community will see it as effort put for cohesion of the character, and it may matter to you as much as the DMs if you make use of it.
Just the same, it may fail to matter entirely.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

Rebel4ever

Post by Rebel4ever » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:17 am

Mithreas and Durvayas were quite helpful in their answers. I understand starting as a common house is probably a good idea.. although i don't see much competition we shall see how things progress!

Drow Houses are given ranking which is a fluid thing and allows Houses to move up and down depending on strength and favor with Lloth. Any common house that gains enough power and influence becomes a noble house so long as they meet the requirements of Lloth. Further more if a house is elevated to nobility it is not just the matron who becomes a noble but the whole house. People need to realise the vast difference between the surface and the underdark. I have seen people say its about power...well if you go that route.. almost all priestesses are from noble houses as are sorcere members. They are competitively recruited by the noble houses and its almost unheard of for them to be anything less than nobles.

As to challenges that people are not nobility...that is another debate entirely.

afreshstart

Post by afreshstart » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:49 am

It's not on an item. You get the feat once you earn it.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:01 pm

BegoneThoth wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:31 am
Xanos950 wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:48 am

That seems like a really disparaging and self-defeatist attitude to have.

There's no reason you can't be a noble and also have high numbers, nor is there a reason you can't be a drow noble in Andunor which is a city literally ruled by two noble drow houses, so there's plenty of in-built stuff to work with.
Freth and Claddath are both direct descendants from both families being heretics that were hunted in the Udos days. Drow old enough would still see them as such and be very wary of most things they do

something to sum up this noble thing beyond the top 3 houses. is the whole interaction from the movie Knights Tale when Adamar was in the stands and William introduced himself while on horseback about country knights being the same as peasants
Yes I can sign

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:21 pm

Begone did you pick the noble background? I mean.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:16 pm

I spent a minor for it and have 'silver palm,' which is how nobility is tracked now.
\

Miskol

Post by Miskol » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:44 pm

BegoneThoth wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:16 pm
I spent a minor for it and have 'silver palm,' which is how nobility is tracked now.
Correct me if I'm wrong...but you're implying that a feat anyone can take at level 1 is how nobility is tracked now?

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Iceborn » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:11 pm

That should not be the case.
Silver Palm is just a bonus that comes with nobility, a cookie.
Otherwise any character could just take the feat at level 1 and invalidate the award, and there are builds that get unecessary amounts of feats.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

Miskol

Post by Miskol » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:25 pm

As far as I know, to get nobility dialogue options from NPCs you need to either take the minor award gift, have epic reputation, be a settlement leader, or own a noble quarter (?).

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:46 pm

Miskol wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:44 pm
BegoneThoth wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:16 pm
Correct me if I'm wrong...but you're implying that a feat anyone can take at level 1 is how nobility is tracked now?
No, when you select the reward they give you the silver palm feat in addition to the other effects.
Noble was a background that implies that the character belongs to a manner or another of aristocracy. Additionally, Noble characters receive the Silver Palm feat.
http://wiki.arelith.com/Background
\

ebonith
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by ebonith » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:09 am

Awesome information!

It is a breath of fresh air to see such wonderful RPers on this server! This is especially true in how the denizens of the Underdark are portrayed in Anduron.

My buddies and I are new to the server, but I guess we could be considered a "Common House", so we won't be getting too big for our britches anytime soon. It consists of a drow family of three (led by a priestess) plus a dedicated mercenary. We will probably be expanding down the road, but we are all low level right now. :)

Come speak with us if you see us around: Qu'ellar Ze'Marri!
Characters
Miklaysee
Ezraki

Organizations
Tuain't Luth'ol

Rebel4ever

Post by Rebel4ever » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:56 pm

Will keep an eye out for you, it seems i am almost ready to make a house...thought twice about it to be honest. It will very likely be made up for newer players as the old ones seem to already be tied up in factions and the like.