Intel integrated short fix?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

lostmarbles

Intel integrated short fix?

Post by lostmarbles » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:06 pm

Has anyone tried this yet?
Intel integrated potential fix, from Beamdog:
Under Display Options, you can now set glFinishBeforeFBO=1. This will cost about 20% performance, but will fix post-process rendering issues on some setups, particularly Intel. When turned on, you’ll notice filter “leaking” into the next, producing visual artifacts (You can test this on the console by typing glFinishBeforeFBO=1). The alternative is to only run one post-process filter.
blog.beamdog.com/2018/03/neverwinter-nights-enhanced-edition_23.html?m=1
Baron Saturday wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:37 pm
Also I will make sweet love to anyone who plays a parrot totem druid-pirate that's just constantly in parrot form.

Xerah

Re: Intel integrated short fix?

Post by Xerah » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:14 pm

Didn't help me.

I can sometimes see ahead of time when I'm about to crash when placeables (can see the void benches above) and PCs start to disappear, then it's only a matter of time. In the above case, it did so when I examined something, which is what I was expecting.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

lostmarbles

Post by lostmarbles » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:36 pm

Per Beamdog:
Known Issues:
We are still looking into the Intel Integrated GPU-related crashes on Windows
There I s hope a solid fix is in the works real soon
Baron Saturday wrote:
Also I will make sweet love to anyone who plays a parrot totem druid-pirate that's just constantly in parrot form.

Anatida
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Anatida » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:19 pm

Wow this actually helped me a lot! Still a little more choppy than reg nwn, but raised my performance by 1/3-1/4

My pronouns are: She/Her/That *itch

lostmarbles

Post by lostmarbles » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:55 am

I used the old CPU affinity=0 trick also and that cleared up my glitching. As EE was tinkered with to allow multi core cpus, and intel uses integrated graphics on a multi core, it stands to reason that the potential crashing is a bottleneck inside a single core (just thinking logically, I am no computer engineer).

Playing in lowest settings with a few of these “self fix” adds to my nwn file and jumping into TunnelBear VPN seems to be helping stabilize my gameplay from my hotspot.

On my home network, lag isn’t an issue. Same computer though so home or on the road I’ll still have crashes until the EE side is fixed but for now at least I am not pulling my hair out over crashing every 30 seconds.
Baron Saturday wrote:

Brandon Steel

Post by Brandon Steel » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:32 am

This did nothing for me unfortunately, but my problem is loading city maps rather than FPS problems.

Kalos

Post by Kalos » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:44 pm

lostmarbles wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:55 am
I used the old CPU affinity=0 trick also and that cleared up my glitching. As EE was tinkered with to allow multi core cpus, and intel uses integrated graphics on a multi core, it stands to reason that the potential crashing is a bottleneck inside a single core (just thinking logically, I am no computer engineer).

Playing in lowest settings with a few of these “self fix” adds to my nwn file and jumping into TunnelBear VPN seems to be helping stabilize my gameplay from my hotspot.

On my home network, lag isn’t an issue. Same computer though so home or on the road I’ll still have crashes until the EE side is fixed but for now at least I am not pulling my hair out over crashing every 30 seconds.
Where do I do the "CPU Affinity trick"? I'll give it a go.

lostmarbles

Post by lostmarbles » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:03 am

nwn.ini file

Client CPU Affinity=0
Specifies the CPU the game client will use on a multi-core computer. Cores are numbered from 0 to the number of cores minus 1. As of patch 1.69, a value of '-1' is treated as '0' and a value of '-2' indicates that the game should use the default affinity (if any) provided by the operating system.
Baron Saturday wrote:

lostmarbles

Post by lostmarbles » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:07 am

I’m guessing that the EE version was looked at to run on multi core systems but since there are crashes with integrated graphics cards, Beamdog missed something involving how cores process the game plus graphics when integrated. Somehow a bottleneck is happening and causing a crash on intel integrated motherboards.

Until it’s fixed on the EE side, I’ve gone back to telling the game which core to run on, considering the graphics core would not be integrated to the first core.

If that makes sense. (Running on minimal sleep today)
Baron Saturday wrote:

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:33 am

Nwn nor EE is multi threaded and not likely to ever be
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Anatida
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Anatida » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:31 am

lostmarbles wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:03 am
nwn.ini file

Client CPU Affinity=0
Specifies the CPU the game client will use on a multi-core computer. Cores are numbered from 0 to the number of cores minus 1. As of patch 1.69, a value of '-1' is treated as '0' and a value of '-2' indicates that the game should use the default affinity (if any) provided by the operating system.
This actually belongs in Nwnplayer.ini anywhere under the [Game Options] header

Kalos

Post by Kalos » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:36 pm

Anatida wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:31 am
lostmarbles wrote:
nwn.ini file

Client CPU Affinity=0
I do not see the [Game Options] header in the nwn.ini folder for EE

I have:

[Alias]
[Display Options]
[Video Options]
[Sound Options]

Anatida
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Anatida » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:16 pm

Kalos wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:36 pm
Anatida wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:31 am
lostmarbles wrote:
nwn.ini file

Client CPU Affinity=0
I do not see the [Game Options] header in the nwn.ini folder for EE

I have:

[Alias]
[Display Options]
[Video Options]
[Sound Options]

Kalos

Post by Kalos » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:55 pm

Whoops. Thank you. I tried this but more of the same unfortunately.

Looks like I am awaiting a patch? I can make a new char and play single player for a few minutes...but I only get as far as finishing talking to Aribeth before I crash...

Darn.

lostmarbles

Post by lostmarbles » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:12 pm

Look for nwnplayer.ini

I mistakenly listed the wrong file previously as nwn.ini

I see the Intel integrated crashes as Beamdog top priority right now. For me I have to avoid the transitions/maps which cause the lions share of crashes for me, which are Cordor Outskirts (fatal crash, cannot log back on that PC until a server reset) and Bendir/Earthkin village (Crash but can log in and run half way across the map before crashing again, log back in run some more and hope to make nextvtransition before crashing).

Honestly I don’t think team beamdog realizes that many players chose NWN for the low hardware investment plus no monthly fees to play. You can literally play the game in a PC that’s a decade old or older. Seems all the “Enhanced” version did was tinker within the existing graphics but only was tested on modern gaming platforms, presumably with dedicated graphics processors.

Anyhow, let’s keep hoping that a fix is coming soon

nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Nwnplayer.ini
Baron Saturday wrote:

dragonhighlord94

Post by dragonhighlord94 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:34 am

Does anyone know exactly when they should institute the Intel fix? I have found no information about when the fix will take place and I would love some info.

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:18 am

dragonhighlord94 wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:34 am
Does anyone know exactly when they should institute the Intel fix? I have found no information about when the fix will take place and I would love some info.
They mentioned yesterday on the weekly Stream they are still actively working on a fix for this and they have contacted Intel as well to try and solve the issues. So yeah let's hope they solve it ASAP but seems like they are a bit understaffed atm as they are still hiring developers.

Kalos

Post by Kalos » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:55 pm

If I was in the market for a new laptop, what should I be looking for to play this game flawlessly....all settings on. While I await the patch maybe I can convince the wife to let me buy a new laptop ;)-

Anatida
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Anatida » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:02 am

I just bought an MSI GL72m
It has a Geforce GTX 1050 and runs flawlessly.

dragonhighlord94

Post by dragonhighlord94 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:11 am

So basically there is no time frame or date to put to this issue and in other words it might either take a few weeks or 6 months for we just don't know what is going on.

Anatida
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Anatida » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:17 pm

dragonhighlord94 wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:11 am
So basically there is no time frame or date to put to this issue and in other words it might either take a few weeks or 6 months for we just don't know what is going on.
That is correct. This is an issue that has to be solved by Beamdog, the maker of the game. They have a forum and a regular stream update on their efforts.

https://forums.beamdog.com/categories/n ... al-support

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:04 pm

Bendir and Cordor Northern Outskirts are death zones for me, but I was able to navigate some of the other 1.69 title sets by making sure I don't:

Open my character sheet.
Open my inventory.
Highlight things (i.e. tab)
Examine things

Teshil

Post by Teshil » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:47 pm

Might be a long shot, but try setting your Video Options sliders like this:

I have a 2014 Macbook Air with Intel HD 5000 graphics and it eliminates the crashes for me completely. When I set them back to the lowest settings, I start crashing again.

Kalos

Post by Kalos » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:24 am

Thanks, but no luck for me. Crash every time still.

Kalos

Post by Kalos » Sun May 06, 2018 1:08 am

Have the Beamdog gods forsaken us Intel Integrated peeps?