User Names

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Tryn Dralar

User Names

Post by Tryn Dralar » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:42 pm

So a couple months back I created an account Arelith-Distant Shores under My current main account. Made 2 characters that I see in the Vault but cant seem to figure out how to gain access to my other characters from the 1.69 Arelith under any of my accounts.

I've copied my CD keys over (Think I did it right)
Tried adding my user name to the NWNplayerini file (not really sure where to put the name and how and where for all the other user names I have.

Look to Windward

Re: User Names

Post by Look to Windward » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:53 pm

Hi Tryn,

All you should need to do is login with your old usernames. To do that you just need to change your playername in the ini. Pull it open in your favourite text editor, and you'll find a section called [Profile.]

You're looking for this part:
[Profile]
ShowMessageOfTheDay=1
ShowPregenChars=1
JournalPage=1
Client Port=5120
Direct Connect IP=ee.arelith.com:5121
Player Name=Look to Windward
Current Page=0
ServerList Hide Passworded=0
ServerList Hide Local Vault=0
ServerList Hide Server Vault=0
Group Room=274
Just change that playername to your old login, log in to the server, and the old characters tied to that name should appear in the vault. Repeat as many times as you need to with your old logins until you've added all your characters.

Alternately, you can use Morderon's excellent .bat files. The second block of code listed there gives you the option to change your username on login.
Last edited by Look to Windward on Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's crooked, but it's the only game in town.

Tryn Dralar

Post by Tryn Dralar » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:58 pm

ok I added the name but I still don't see the 1.69 characters. But I tried loging in with one of the characters I made there a couple months back and getting the cd key denied so assuming I did not copy/past the CD keys over correctly. Can ya give me a visual for that also please?

And thanks for the help, not so good at all this without visuals.

Look to Windward

Post by Look to Windward » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:59 pm

All good. Could be an issue with your old cd keys. Stand by for visuals!

Tryn Dralar

Post by Tryn Dralar » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:10 am

standing by

Look to Windward

Post by Look to Windward » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:12 am

Alrighty, to move your CD key you need to find 'nwncdkey.ini' in your original 1.69 install and copy that file to your extended edition location.

If you're as unimaginative as I am, and installed to default locations, your 1.69 install will look a bit like this:

The file highlighted in green is what we're after. Copy it to your clipboard, and then navigate your way to your extended edition install location. I have the steam version; but the Beamdog one should end up with files in same the place. For me, it's a 'Neverwinter Nights' file in my documents; like this:

Paste that 'nwncdkey.ini' in there, and all should be well. You should then be able to log in with your old usernames without it screeching at you.
Last edited by Look to Windward on Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tryn Dralar

Post by Tryn Dralar » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:19 am

Anywhere else I can copy it to other than clipboard? Notebook maybe?

Look to Windward

Post by Look to Windward » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:22 am

It doesn't particularly matter what you use to copy it - you're effectively just moving the file. You could just drag and drop it.

If you wanted to copy its contents to a notebook and save that under the same name you could, but it's not necessary (or particularly beneficial).

Tryn Dralar

Post by Tryn Dralar » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:23 am

i'm in, thank you for the save. Very very very much appreciate your time to help.

Look to Windward

Post by Look to Windward » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:27 am

Awesome, glad to hear it worked!

Tryn Dralar

Post by Tryn Dralar » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:19 am

oh I forgot......so in order for me to be able to switch back and forth between logins, i'll need to use that .bat file 2? If so, where do I copy it to? the nwnplayer ini file? Do I delete anything already in there? Where do I paste it to if I don't delete anything?

Look to Windward

Post by Look to Windward » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:06 am

You don't need it to switch between logins - You can do it manually by changing that "Player Name=..." entry in nwnplayer.ini, just like you did to move your old characters over. The .bat is just an easier way of doing it. It produces a screen like the image below on launch, which you can use to sign in to different servers or use a different player name.

To make it work, you'll need to:

1. Make and open a new text file. I use Notepad++, but any text editor (including regular ol' notepad) will do. It doesn't matter where you make it, the .bat'll work regardless.

2. Call the resulting text file whatever you like (I went with BATman), and then copy and paste Morderon's code into it. That's this code:

Code: Select all

@setlocal enableextensions enabledelayedexpansion
@echo off
::Your NWNL:EE docoument directory on the next line, the location of your logs directory and nwnplayer.ini
set EEDocDir="D:\Documents\Neverwinter Nights"
::Your EE nwmain.exe install directory on the next line
set EEInstallDir="E:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Neverwinter Nights\bin\win32" 
::The location of your logs folder of your 1.69 install on the next line
set NWN169Dir="E:\GalaxyClient\Games\NWN Diamond"
:: Your 1.69 nwmain.exe install directory on the next line, only modify if it's different location from your logs folder 
set NWN169GameDir=%NWN169Dir% 
echo Select a Server
echo 1. NWN: EE Distant Shores
echo 2. NWN: EE Cities and Planes
echo 3. NWN: EE Surface
echo 4. NWN: 1.69 PGCC Arena
echo 5. NWN: 1.69 FL
set /p servervar= Server Number:
if %servervar% lss 4 (
  set logdir=%EEDocDir%
  cd /D !logdir!
  set file=nwnplayer.ini
  set area=[Profile]
  set key=Player Name
  set currarea=
  for /f "usebackq delims=" %%a in ("!file!") do (
    set ln=%%a
    if "x!ln:~0,1!"=="x[" (
        set currarea=!ln!
    ) else (
        for /f "tokens=1,2 delims==" %%b in ("!ln!") do (
            set currkey=%%b
            set currval=%%c
            if "x!area!"=="x!currarea!" if "x!key!"=="x!currkey!" (
	        set curlogin=!currval!
                echo Current login: !currval!
            )
         )
    )
  )
  set /p id= "New Login (Hit Enter to leave unchanged):"

if NOT [!id!] == [] (

Set _OldLine=!key!=!curlogin!
   Set _NewLine=!key!=!id!

:: End of Search parameters
   Call :_Parse "!file!"
   Set _Len=0
   Set _Str=!_OldLine!
   Set _Str=!_Str:"=.!987654321

:_Loop
   If NOT "!_Str:~18!"=="" Set _Str=!_Str:~9!& Set /A _Len+=9& Goto _Loop
   Set _Num=!_Str:~9,1!
   Set /A _Len=_Len+_Num
   PushD !_FilePath!
   If Exist !_FileName!.new Del !_FileName!.new
   If Exist !_FileName!.old Del !_FileName!.old
   Set _LineNo=0
   For /F "Tokens=* Eol=" %%I In (!_FileName!!_FileExt!) Do (
   Set _tmp=%%I
   Set /A _LineNo+=1
   If /I "!_tmp:~0,%_Len%!"=="!_OldLine!" (
   >>!_FileName!.new Echo !_NewLine!
   ) Else (
   If !_LineNo! GTR 1 If "!_tmp:~0,1!"=="[" Echo.>>!_FileName!.new

>>!_FileName!.new Echo %%I

))
   Ren !_FileName!!_FileExt! !_FileName!.old
   Ren !_FileName!.new !_FileName!.ini
   ::PopD
   ::Goto :EOF   

)

cd /D %EEInstallDir%
  if %servervar% == 1 start /wait nwmain.exe +connect game.arelith.com:5121
  if %servervar% == 2 start /wait nwmain.exe +connect game.arelith.com:5122
  if %servervar% == 3 start /wait nwmain.exe +connect game.arelith.com:5123
)
::if %servervar% == 2 start /wait nwmain.exe +connect game.arelith.com:5123

if %servervar% gtr 3 (
  set logdir=%NWN169Dir%
  cd /D %NWN169GameDir%

if %servervar% == 4 start /wait nwmain.exe +connect arena.arelith.com:5121
  if %servervar% == 5 start /wait nwmain.exe +connect fl.arelith.com:5121
)

for /f "tokens=2-4 delims=/ " %%a in ('date /T') do set year=%%c
for /f "tokens=2-4 delims=/ " %%a in ('date /T') do set month=%%a
for /f "tokens=2-4 delims=/ " %%a in ('date /T') do set day=%%b
set TODAY=%year%-%month%-%day%
for /f "tokens=1 delims=: " %%h in ('time /T') do set hour=%%h
for /f "tokens=2 delims=: " %%m in ('time /T') do set minutes=%%m
for /f "tokens=3 delims=: " %%a in ('time /T') do set ampm=%%a
set NOW=%hour%-%minutes%-%ampm%
move %logdir%\logs\nwclientLog1.txt %logdir%\logs\log-%TODAY%-%NOW%.txt
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
:: Subroutines
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
   :_Parse
     Set _FilePath=%~dp1
     Set _FileName=%~n1
     Set _FileExt=%~x1
     Goto :EOF 
endlocal

Your text file should now look like this:

3. We're most of the way there now. All that's left to do is tell the file where to find your Neverwinter Nights installs (and enable logging, if you want to keep logs).

To do that, there's a few lines of Morderon's code you need to change. That is, these ones:
@setlocal enableextensions enabledelayedexpansion
@echo off
::Your NWNL:EE docoument directory on the next line, the location of your logs directory and nwnplayer.ini
set EEDocDir="D:\Documents\Neverwinter Nights"
::Your EE nwmain.exe install directory on the next line
set EEInstallDir="E:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Neverwinter Nights\bin\win32"
::The location of your logs folder of your 1.69 install on the next line
set NWN169Dir="E:\GalaxyClient\Games\NWN Diamond"
:: Your 1.69 nwmain.exe install directory on the next line, only modify if it's different location from your logs folder
set NWN169GameDir=%NWN169Dir%

EEDocDir is the same place we left your old CD Key in the extended edition. This place:

Click on the address bar (highlighted in green), and it'll give you the path. It'll look something like this: C:\Users\Username\Documents\Neverwinter Nights.

Replace D:\Documents\Neverwinter Nights with that, so that the line looks like this:

set EEDocDir="C:\Users\Username\Documents\Neverwinter Nights"

Now, you want to do the same thing for EEInstallDir (which is the location the game is actually installed to. If you're on a steam install, like I am, it'll be something like: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Neverwinter Nights\bin\win32, and the folder there will look like this:

Change the EEInstallDir line to point to that directory. It should look like this:

set EEInstallDir="C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Neverwinter Nights\bin\win32"

The next line, NWN169Dir, is funnily enough where our old 1.69 install was. This is the same place we copied that old CD Key file from. Do the same thing you did before, and the line should end up looking a bit like this:

set NWN169Dir="C:\GOG Games\Neverwinter Nights Diamond Edition"

4. We're done with making changes to the .bat file now. Save it and close it.

5. In order to actually run the file, we need to change its extension from .txt to .bat. So, rename it from yourfilename.txt to yourfilename.bat (for me, it went from BATman.txt to BATman.bat).

6. We could stop here, and all the log in and server-selection functionality would work just fine. However, this .bat also rotates chat logs to keep a record of what goes on in-game. By default; however, Neverwinter Nights doesn't make those logs - so there's nothing for the .bat to rotate.

Fortunately, that's an easy enough fix. All we need to do is go into our nwnplayer.ini (the one in your EE install) and (under [Game Options} change ClientChatLogging=0 to ClientChatLogging=1. If 'ClientChatLogging' doesn't exist as a line in your log; feel free to add it. The first few lines should look like this when you're done:
[Game Options]
ClientChatLogging=1
Memory Level=1
Memory Access=1
TooltipDelay uSec=100000
Enable FloatyTextFeedback=1

That's it! To launch NWN just run the .bat file, and you should get a pop-up similar to that first screenshot. You can now select servers and change login names all you like.

taoofbalance

Post by taoofbalance » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:39 am

If we don't remember all the different Usernames we've logged into over the years is there a way to get list of them?
"Typical larval god fetus..."-Patrick Rothfuss.

Look to Windward

Post by Look to Windward » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:58 am

There's no straightforward way that I know of, short of vacuuming up any logs you had from that time and searching for the usernames. The staff may be able to assist you, if you can remember the character names and verify that they were yours. I assume there's a database somewhere with that information in it.

If you're in the mood for exceptionally long shots you could look up the portal on the wayback machine. If you know when the character was active and you're super lucky, maybe there's a capture with the login on it.

Tryn Dralar

Post by Tryn Dralar » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:06 pm

Saelys told me to delete the line with:
Player name: Tryn Dralar

this allows me to log in with different old accounts to get all the characters loaded up. I didn't realize every character would load into the same list. But now understanding that part of it as well.

and I have always written down my different accounts so that's no issue, just wasn't getting the option to type in a different player name due to having the player name Tryn Dralar in the ini file. suppose I will add it back once I load up all the accounts.

Thanks again

taoofbalance

Post by taoofbalance » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:20 pm

I believe that DM's or Admins can see what login names are connected to what CD keys. I don't know if there is an easy way for them to come up with a list then copy and paste it into a message? I know I have a handful of names back when I first started that had some characters on it. Though I am sure they are swamped right now...might have to ask for a list in the months to come.
"Typical larval god fetus..."-Patrick Rothfuss.

Tryn Dralar

Post by Tryn Dralar » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:56 pm

I'm good to go now, once I removed [Player name: Tryn Dralar] from the EE nwnplayer file. I would log in with each of my old accounts, making sure to uncheck the box there so its not saved as default login. so just logged in, it would add the characters from that account automatically, then log out and rinse repeat for each account. When done, I went back to the new EE nwn folder and added my player name to the nwnplayer file again and saved. not hard just takes a few minutes depending on how many accounts one has.