Regarding Migrating

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Cuchilla
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Regarding Migrating

Post by Cuchilla » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:41 am

See this topic:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=17344

Are you aware that the very neat instruction only goes for English versions of the game? In my Danish version, there is no file called nwncdkey.ini. Many years ago, I found out, that it is called something else, but I keep forgetting which one it is. So if you could open your file, and just give the headlines inside that file, it would be most appreciated.

This is how it looks when I open NWN:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gdAII31Lh38TP8Cn2

And the files also got different names in the Beamdog version. When I do this:

C:\Users\myusernamehere\Documents\Neverwinter Nights

I don't see the file mentionned. Although, here, there is a file called

cdkey konfigurationsindstillinger.

which got my cdkeys. Nothing else.
Last edited by Cuchilla on Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

Aloise "Lois", Biarray "Ray", Uniethrade. INACTIVE: Ivory Bushdiggger DEAD: Cuchilla. Beliat, Clyasy. Cristyn. Fadriatta. Fraya Stensamler (Chief Librarian). Goirin. Greensleeves. Gwydynya. Hilda. Kaxandra. Trista. Willisa.

Baron Saturday

Re: Regarding Migrating

Post by Baron Saturday » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:50 am

It's the 6th one from the bottom in that picture, nwncdkey, it just isn't showing the .ini part.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Cuchilla
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cuchilla » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:01 am

Baron Saturday wrote:It's the 6th one from the bottom in that picture, nwncdkey, it just isn't showing the .ini part.
Ok thank you :D

So, to be absolutely sure, it's the file which when you open it looks like this:

;These are your CD Keys for Neverwinter Nights.
;DO NOT share these CD Keys with ANYONE.
;Apart from this installation, or when registering with the Official Neverwinter Nights Community Site [http://nwn.bioware.com], BioWare and Atari will NEVER ask you for this CD Key.

[CDKEY]
[And here goes the three lines with the CDKeys, which I of course will not post here]

And last, we can do this now, but it won't work until Arelith migrated entirely to EE?

Aloise "Lois", Biarray "Ray", Uniethrade. INACTIVE: Ivory Bushdiggger DEAD: Cuchilla. Beliat, Clyasy. Cristyn. Fadriatta. Fraya Stensamler (Chief Librarian). Goirin. Greensleeves. Gwydynya. Hilda. Kaxandra. Trista. Willisa.

Iceborn

Post by Iceborn » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:08 am

Yes.

In computers, you can't normally see the extension (the .ini in this case) of most files which you can normally open.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

Maladus

Post by Maladus » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:12 am

Quick question about player names...can I login with my current player name and then use a different player name to continue playing with my characters? I'd rather use the player name that is shown on the forums rather than the one I came up with when I was in high school when the account was actually made.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:53 am

Iceborn wrote:Yes.

In computers, you can't normally see the extension (the .ini in this case) of most files which you can normally open.
Cortana -> Type "File Explorer Options" or "Folder Options" -> View tab -> Uncheck "Hide Extensions for Known File Types"
\

Dunshine
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Dunshine » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:51 am

Yes, the extension .ini is there but depending on your exlporer (or whatever else you use) settings it may show or not. The important part is you found the right files, Cuchilla!

Maladus

Post by Maladus » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:02 pm

So about my question...once the transfer is complete can I start playing with a player name other than my current one (that was created while I was still in high school)? I want to use my 1.69 characters but not my 1.69 player name.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:43 am

Maladus wrote:So about my question...once the transfer is complete can I start playing with a player name other than my current one (that was created while I was still in high school)? I want to use my 1.69 characters but not my 1.69 player name.
Answered here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=17344#p145286

Playernames are irrelevant now. You can log in with any (unclaimed) playername you want and play any of your characters regardless of when they were created.

Maladus

Post by Maladus » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:12 am

That sort of answers the question, but since we are still using the player names from 1.69 it will still say 'xXx_DeacoN_xXx has joined the server...' What I want to know is, if I login once using that old player name do all my characters get dumped into my vault then allowing me to login using 'Maladus' and still access my characters?

Morderon
Technical Lead
Technical Lead

Post by Morderon » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:33 pm

Dunshine wrote: In Enhanced Edition the servervault is no longer based on playernames, but on public cdkey. This means that all your characters of all your playernames will be in the same servervault folder.

This means that you can login with playername Bob123 and play all your characters, and the next day as Jim123 and also play all your characters, but i.e. not as Dunshine, because that's my playername and you will be whip... which is already tied to my cdkey, so the server will refuse you to login with it.
From the linked thread. So.. yes.

Maladus

Post by Maladus » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:36 pm

Ah. Thanks!

TraumaTeam

Post by TraumaTeam » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:33 pm

Between my family and some select friends we have several original copies of the NWN and used to play together on other PW servers several years back, now EE is out some of them have expressed and interest in getting back online in NWN but question the need to again buy the game.

The question is do they all need to buy their own copy of EE or can they club together to buy one and just use their own original cd keys?

Morderon
Technical Lead
Technical Lead

Post by Morderon » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:15 pm

Original NWN cdkeys don't work for NWN:EE.

Except for character migration.

TraumaTeam

Post by TraumaTeam » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:26 pm

Morderon wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:15 pm
Original NWN cdkeys don't work for NWN:EE.

Except for character migration.
Drat that would be to easy and wouldn't make beamdog money I guess its all fair enough I will spread the word to the folks and have them stop being tight then, thanks for the info.

TT