NWN EE Version, Connecting to Arelith

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

NWN EE Version, Connecting to Arelith

Post by Twily » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:48 pm

So this is all a bit in advance, but this is a potential issue I've thought of that may arise after the migration and release of EE.

I've heard it said that Arelith won't always be using the newest version of EE as soon as it's released, given things like NWNX needing to be updated. This makes sense.

That said, The Beamdog Client doesn't have a version select feature(yet) from what I've seen.

Is it known how this will be dealt with? IE, If Arelith is on version 8100, the newest version is 8200, and a returning player has version 8000 on their computer, the Update button would give the version 8200 with how things currently are. How will a player in a situation like this connect to Arelith?

Additionally, Steam removed their "Do not update" setting from their controls a while back(and instead made "Update when I start" the lowest option). Is NWNEE going to be able to start outside of Steam, or will users have to launch NWNEE through steam?
If it's the latter, Steam would make you update it before launching, again running into this same problem, and if it's the former it will have to be made very clear that users have to turn Auto-Update(default) to Update when I launch, and that they have to start the game through the folders/exe rather than through Steam.

Dunshine
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Re: NWN EE Version, Connecting to Arelith

Post by Dunshine » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:19 pm

We aim to update our version asap after any updates from Beamdog, which should be far less frequent then currently during the beta (weekly!). NWNX usually updates the same day, and there is no reason why we shouldn't either. In the new situation we'll have a few more people able to update the servers then currently, so I don't expect this becoming a big problem.

Morderon
Technical Lead
Technical Lead

Re: NWN EE Version, Connecting to Arelith

Post by Morderon » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:31 pm

If you launch the steam version outside of steam it doesn't force the update on you.

I'd also be releasing a .bat file for the desktop (or wherever) after the servers migrate that bypasses launching the client (of whatever store you got it from) and to ease connecting to our servers.