Boogin rant

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

telmarael

Boogin rant

Post by telmarael » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:28 pm

Well, not actually a rant, just wanted to inquire some info or reasoning behind making boogins.. well, boogins.

For a lvl15 PC on 0 ECL adjustment they grant around 20 xp each, and an average ammount of gold.
But at what cost? They hit like trucks with 4 apr, bypassing any reasonable ammount of AC the PC might happen to have on this level. They are also almost universally buffed with FoM. Their druids are prebuffed with premonition and summon elemental swarms. And these are only some guards near the cave entrances - the fun begins inside.

So, the question is - are they an oversight or an intentional obstacle? Why is their challenge rating not supported with a greater xp\gold reward per a kill? I imagine what would happen if I wasn't alone, or have someone of the same level with highly positive ECL, the hordes would multiply...

I didn't die to them and then came to rant here, no. Just the their sole existance seems a little bit puzzling, as there is no point for higher levels who can take them on to go there at all (little XP to get) when there are better options. Maybe someone could shine a little light on that (unless they are actually guarding something)
- "I would rather not touch this shiny pile of gold", said her conscience
*sounds of explosion*

Dr_Hazard89

Re: Boogin rant

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:42 pm

I thought that was a level 20+ area, at least. I've leveled several characters to level 30 there.
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

pigman

Post by pigman » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:52 pm

the anti-power grinding with an epic buddy scripts also seem to prevent under-levelled characters from getting the proper xp from epic mobs.

unless I'm insane and made this up in my head

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:55 pm

I've definitely farmed 40xp a kill areas on a 3 ECL character before so I don't think that exists.
\

telmarael

Post by telmarael » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:06 pm

huh, I guess it's just me wandering into the wrong area then. Strange that it's so close to other low-level areas though
*sounds of explosion*

pigman

Post by pigman » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:07 pm

BegoneThoth wrote:I've definitely farmed 40xp a kill areas on a 3 ECL character before so I don't think that exists.

i'm still not sure as I know that many times in the past when I have dragged a low lvl around for rp reasons with my epic character, they end up getting less xp than me.

3d6InOrder

Post by 3d6InOrder » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:38 pm

pigman wrote:
BegoneThoth wrote:I've definitely farmed 40xp a kill areas on a 3 ECL character before so I don't think that exists.

i'm still not sure as I know that many times in the past when I have dragged a low lvl around for rp reasons with my epic character, they end up getting less xp than me.
That will be because ECL has a more severe effect the lower level you are.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:02 pm

Boogins is hard, I'm convinced, for one very very specific reason that has absolutely nothing to do with the mob's location and everything to do with what can spawn there.

Astral

Post by Astral » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:12 am

To the OP

First of all they shouldnt give 20 exp for an ECL 15 character. I recall they give around 30-40 when lvl 12ish so its safe to assume the rangers and hunters still give 30+ at ecl 15, even more if you got a party around your lvl.

About the strength of the mobs

I posted about the Elemental Swarm a while ago and Irongroan said he removed this spell from the spiritualists. The hunters are indeed pain but that's normal for archers in mid level dungeons. Malarite archers are also pain for their respective difficulty level. Overall in my experience the area seems really cool and too small for circling (for the good or worse).
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

telmarael

Post by telmarael » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:12 am

Astral wrote:To the OP

First of all they shouldnt give 20 exp for an ECL 15 character. I recall they give around 30-40 when lvl 12ish so its safe to assume the rangers and hunters still give 30+ at ecl 15, even more if you got a party around your lvl.

About the strength of the mobs

I posted about the Elemental Swarm a while ago and Irongroan said he removed this spell from the spiritualists. The hunters are indeed pain but that's normal for archers in mid level dungeons. Malarite archers are also pain for their respective difficulty level. Overall in my experience the area seems really cool and too small for circling (for the good or worse).
I wouldn't say they gave so little if they didn't, sorry... Not much desire to go check them out once again :?

And the swarm was still there.
*sounds of explosion*

Kalimere

Post by Kalimere » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:00 pm

Lets not forget the 90+dmg traps they set all over the place.
"I'm not grim."
~Andrej Cooper

".....Mostly."
~Also Andrej Cooper

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:07 pm

It's certainly not a dungeon for casual players.
\