EE for dumb dummies

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Cuchilla
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

EE for dumb dummies

Post by Cuchilla » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:10 pm

Yeah, I should have known that I shouldn't have tried to download the EE. But I did it anyway, and as expected, it went wrong. I paid, downloaded, etc. etc. and then tried to open the game, and this is the message I had:

"The Beamdog Client has detected that Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced edition (English) has missing, added, or changed game files. Would you like to restore the game to its original state? Select 'Cancel' to leave these changes. Restoring the game will remove any mods currently applied to that game"

And needless to say that restoring did nothing, neither did cancel. But I take that is normal, because it is still not there, or what?

Aloise "Lois", Biarray "Ray", Uniethrade. INACTIVE: Ivory Bushdiggger DEAD: Cuchilla. Beliat, Clyasy. Cristyn. Fadriatta. Fraya Stensamler (Chief Librarian). Goirin. Greensleeves. Gwydynya. Hilda. Kaxandra. Trista. Willisa.

Barradoor
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: EE for dumb dummies

Post by Barradoor » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:36 pm

I just got it off steam, you're able to view it in your codes and apply them to your account that way. That install seems to work perfectly.
Mithreas wrote:get good
eters wrote:I will try to resonate with you in a way you can understand
Peppermint wrote:if Barradoor is the voice of reason you know things have taken a horrible turn
Barradoor wrote:
!!HIGH LEVEL MECHANICS BELOW!!

Cuchilla
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cuchilla » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:11 pm

Like I said, I am a dumb-dummy when it comes to stuff like this. I simply don't get the language. What are simple words to some, is totally beyond me. And makes me feel completely lost. The library that it said it downloaded, is empty so ... well. I simply don't get it.

Maybe everything will be better tomorrow.

Thanks anyways ...

Aloise "Lois", Biarray "Ray", Uniethrade. INACTIVE: Ivory Bushdiggger DEAD: Cuchilla. Beliat, Clyasy. Cristyn. Fadriatta. Fraya Stensamler (Chief Librarian). Goirin. Greensleeves. Gwydynya. Hilda. Kaxandra. Trista. Willisa.

Xuuldar

Post by Xuuldar » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:11 am

Don't know that I have seen that exact error, but I had several errors and issues getting it working the first time. This ended up fixing it so you may want to try it...

Re-install OpenAL in case it did not install correctly. OpenAL is a support library that is used for audio in games. You can download it from Beamdog.com http://www.beamdog.com/files/prerequisites/oalinst.exe .

Rags

Post by Rags » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:25 am

You need to select from the dropdown English - Heard Start rather than its default option for installing right now. I imagine this will change at launch.

If anyone else has issues setting up their Steam, or EE copies feel free to message me on Discord. Rags#7467! I feel like that was a weird 'follow me on twitter' plug.

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:49 am

I also had to reinstall OpenAL once they made the switch a few weeks back. The Beamdog Client would not let me start the game otherwise.

Cuchilla
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cuchilla » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:56 am

Like the title of this thread already said: This is for dumb dummies. When I choose "English - Head start" in "Options", it says I need to buy the game. Didn't I just do that? I had a message that I did. My Beamdog Account also said I did. Complete.

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Twily » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:43 am

This is likely more in depth than needed, but I figured that's probably better than to be lacking needed details.

You already have the Beamdog Client installed. (the program that you try to launch NWN EE from, albeit unsuccessfully).

First you want to make sure you're on the Head Start option. (Head Start is the pre-release version. The full version isn't playable until the game gets released on March 27th)
To do that, Click on the drop down arrow next to the language, that is just below the game title, and click on "(language) - Head Start". (Screenshot)

If the button says buy, Go to the Beamdog Website and sign into your account there.

Hover over Games, then Hover over NWN EE, you should see a HeadStart option to the side like this. (Screenshot)
Click on the Head Start button that I circled in the screenshot.
You should see a Buy button somewhere on the page it brings you to, just below the title. Click it, and it will add the game. (It doesn't cost anything(since you already purchased NWNEE), and adds it with one or two clicks).

Restart your Beamdog Client after this, select the Head Start version in the Beamdog Client, and move on to the following.

What you see at that point will vary based on if the game is installed.

Expect to see one of the following:
1. An Install button
2. A Play button, with an Update button next to it
3. Just a Play button.

1. Means the game was never installed. (Try installing it and launching it)
2. Means it was installed, but is out of date. (Try updating the game and launching it.)
3. Means the game is installed, and up to date.

If you reach point three, and the game still fails to start, you may have to reinstall OpenAL as others were saying in the thread.

First, Close your Beamdog Client.

Next, you'll need to open Programs and Features
Instructions on this vary based on your operating system, so I can't guarentee the instructions I give here will work. If it doesn't work, Just let me know and we can figure it out.
On most versions of Windows if you click the Start button(the button in the bottom left corner), you can find a search box.

Once you find it, You'll want to type of "Programs and Features" (without quotation marks).

Each of these screenshots show an example of this, Yours will most likely(but not definitely) look similar to one of the two. It should not look like both.
Screenshot 1
Screenshot 2

Once you get to this point, you want to click on Programs and Features, which will open a window that most likely looks like this.
The programs on your list will not be the same as mine, that is fine.

You'll want to scroll down this list until you find OpenAL. (Screenshot)
Once you find this, you want to right click it, and click on Uninstall. (Screenshot)

If you get a message like this, That is fine. Click yes.
If you get a message saying some files are still in use, and that a reboot will be required, that is also fine. Click Ok.

After you click Ok, you may see a window pop up briefly and disappear, that is normal.
If you got the warning that files are in use and that a reboot will be needed, Restart your computer before moving on. If not, Carry on.

Once you restart your computer(if it was needed), download this file.
http://www.beamdog.com/files/prerequisites/oalinst.exe
Run it, and it will reinstall OpenAL.

After completing this, try running the game again.

If it still fails or if you have any questions, Just reply or PM me letting me know.

Cuchilla
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cuchilla » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:34 am

Twily is today's hero, at least for me. You took me by the hands and lead me through the jungle. If I am not the only one, maybe we should sticky this very neat instruction for dummies somewhere.

I managed to get the full download, and the game is loading. That's where I am now. I am too exhausted to continue for now, but I will try later.

Thanks a bunch, Twily

PS I can load the game, do the usual Multiplayer-Join ... -Direct contact, and when I enter the present surface adress (138.201.20.77:5124), I can't enter (server not responding ...), but I am happy I got that far. Once I am rested and fresh again, I'll try to cope with that as well.

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Twily » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:00 am

The migration hasn't happened just yet, they'll be waiting until a bit after release to do that.
Until then, they have another server, still Arelith, called Arelith - Skaal or something like that, and that will be merged into the arelith world once the merge happens.

I don't know much about it, but from what I understand it's a place geared towards low levels(supposedly high levels won't be able to go back there easily if at all) that will be the new primary starting area.
I've heard leveling there shouldn't be too difficult, some say less risky than Cordor's surroundings, and is designed to get new players who will be coming with EE acclimated to RP and the game before being tossed into the full Arelith we all know in the present.

Supposedly it's really well made and has a lovely setting. Characters made on Skaal now shouldn't be lost when the merge happens either, so if you did make one now, it should still be there then.

The regular Arelith servers may appear on the list(or they might not), but for the moment you can't connect to Surface, nor Cities/Planes from NWN:EE until the merge has happened.

For now, you'll have to stick with the original old NWN to connect to Surface/Cities&Planes.

Cuchilla
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cuchilla » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:17 am

Ah, that explains it. I don't think I'll enter the ~Skaal, but for now, just be happy that I know I will be ready for the moment when they migrate it ... Super happy :P

Anatida
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Anatida » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:09 pm

Rags wrote:You need to select from the dropdown English - Heard Start rather than its default option for installing right now. I imagine this will change at launch.
Xuuldar wrote:Re-install OpenAL in case it did not install correctly. OpenAL is a support library that is used for audio in games. You can download it from Beamdog.com http://www.beamdog.com/files/prerequisites/oalinst.exe .
These two things fixed the issues I was having. I can now launch the game and launch one of the modules. However, the toolset still crashes with a ton of exception errors.

My pronouns are: She/Her/That *itch

Anatida
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Anatida » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:12 pm

There was another topic but I can't find it. I need some troubleshooting help. EE is completely unplayable for me. It has about 1 FPS. Controls don't respond for five seconds or more. I checked all the video options and turned them down thinking that might help but it doesn't.

My laptop is older and still on Windows 7 Ultimate (SP 1), simply so I could continue to play NWN without much difficulty.

Computer Specs:
  • Intel Pentium Dual-Core T4400 2.20GHz/2.20GHz
    RAM: 3 GB
    32 bit
    Intel GMA 4500M

Rags

Post by Rags » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:06 pm

Anatida wrote:There was another topic but I can't find it. I need some troubleshooting help. EE is completely unplayable for me. It has about 1 FPS. Controls don't respond for five seconds or more. I checked all the video options and turned them down thinking that might help but it doesn't.

My laptop is older and still on Windows 7 Ultimate (SP 1), simply so I could continue to play NWN without much difficulty.

Computer Specs:
    32 bit
    Intel GMA 4500M
I've heard from several other players having inexplicable FPS drops as well. I would file a bug complaint with Beamdog about it, as this is largely game breaking.

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:24 pm

Anatida wrote:There was another topic but I can't find it. I need some troubleshooting help. EE is completely unplayable for me. It has about 1 FPS. Controls don't respond for five seconds or more. I checked all the video options and turned them down thinking that might help but it doesn't.

Computer Specs:
    32 bit
    Intel GMA 4500M
Yes please report this to Beamdog, both as a bug report and on the forums and contact their Tech Support. Might sound as a chore but might very well help them to find whatever may cause this and help a lot of other people having similar issues.

Anatida
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Anatida » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:23 pm

Ok. I did ALL the things! Thanks folks.

DM Always This Late

Post by DM Always This Late » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:40 am

I just wanted to throw this in here,

I had an error with my client and submitted a ticket with beamdog they got back to me in less then a day with the exact instructions on how to fix it!

So their customer service seems to be on point if something is really throwing you for a loop.
I loved and I loved and I lost you... And it hurt like hell.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:14 pm

Haya. I'm having a few issues getting EE to work - though I think it's far less about EE than it is about will double check

Downloaded it twice - once in english (didn't work oh well) then again in Early Start English (the one I'm supposed to use. Got the following message:

"The beamdog client encountered an error trying to run Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition (english - head start) Please contact Beamdog support and mention exit code: 3221225781
try downloading OpenAL
get the message 'Permission not granted for writing to the system directory - Try again with administrator access.'
Have tried rightcliking and using 'as administrator'
and I've tried grantingall users full access
bit of a loss.

Any ideas?

EDIT: AH HA! GOT IT WORKING ON STEAM! YES YES YES! phew.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:54 pm

DM GrumpyCat wrote: EDIT: AH HA! GOT IT WORKING ON STEAM! YES YES YES! phew.
Always trust Gaben to set things straight.

Rags

Post by Rags » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:40 pm

If anybody happens to come across Error MS0200, I fixed it by simply launching the game from my Beamdog Client. Then, after that, I was able to play normally.

Elaetheus
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Elaetheus » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:48 pm

Computer Specs:
    32 bit
    Intel GMA 4500M
I had some performance issues on my mac that got fixed with the last update. However they say they are still looking into the performance issues of the integrated videocards on all platforms. I hope things are advancing for you.

Cuchilla
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cuchilla » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:12 pm

Another stupid question.

I been trying to enter Distant Short, but I am one update short. I managed to find out. It's 8164 and I got 8162. Then I been trying to find a way to update the game, but meh ... see the entry title. I am stuck again.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:36 pm

Is this update thing going to contiune once ee launches? Are we going to be expected to keep Steam on "Dont update?"
\

Morderon
Technical Lead
Technical Lead

Post by Morderon » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:19 pm

Yes you are.

To Cuchilla: Open your beamdog client (it's the same program used to download the game, only instead of hitting install you'll hit update this time), select neverwinter nights head start on the left. You should see a big (i think) yellow button that says update.

Click it.

nobs3
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by nobs3 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:05 pm

I also had some problems last night but sloved most...
- English - HEAD START
- Error: 3221225781 = had to install openAl
- start as administrator but also allow for the network type you are using (home, work, public)

Now I face an other "problem": I pay NWN on an external hard disc
- beamdog client works from HD = ok
- beamdog created a new folder "Neverwinter Nights" under "my documents" (I never use this folder)
=> How can I redirect NWN EE to my old/original NWN folder (on my hard disc)?
=> Is it possible and recommended to integrate the now existing two versions of NWN? (e.g. changed files like player.ini)
I know that over the years I did some file changes following instructions on the forums... I would try to keep them.
Is there anything new in the new "Neverwinter Nights" folder or would it be enough to redirect NWN EE to the old folder?

(I fear I should have clicked somewhere: "search for existing game" by installing... re-install?)