Kensai, why even legacy?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Cortex

Re: Kensai, why even legacy?

Post by Cortex » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:41 pm

MissEvelyn wrote: We were obviously just throwing out ideas, but the point is, rather than outright removing the paths, something better could have been done. It feels like the team just gave up on the classes.
The amount of work to "balance" PvE for two classes is far too great to be justified. And while I can't talk for Weavemaster, I loved kensai, all of my melee had been kensai for a long while even before the change, and I knew what I was getting into every time. The buffs I had made were an attempt at putting them on even footing but that backfired immensely.

It was not that they gave up, so much as it was a decision that they had to go for the server health, kensai had become a staple of majority of melees. I even tried arguing against its removal but there was no way they could be made right within the time frame they have right now. Perhaps one day, something similar will come around.
:)

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:27 pm

Cortex wrote:Perhaps one day, something similar will come around.
Hope rekindled!

In seriousness, though, I can understand where you're coming from. And it's not to say that we didn't appreciate the paths/classes, we definitely did! Maybe a bit too much and that's why we sorely miss them.

rat0a
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by rat0a » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:43 pm

Well my 2 cents are:
People that called a trap never understood what they were
Keep in mind I'm talking about GEN1

First of all there was a fair warning at the WIKI and character creation, basically
"If you like potions, UMD or scrolls, a bow to lure mobs, this is not a class for you"
If you expect to go to your favorite crypt, solo and come out victorious...ditto" learned the hard way
If you plan to go on a Epic hunt with a melee group with no "Walking wand" at your side (mage/cleric)on a high magic area...............
well.....ditto I learned to refuse to go on those fast!
If you see a dragon and hope to made the saves without warding from your caster buddy....well ditto.......I saw a dragon and had not wards I ran like there was no tomorrow! lol

The only thing I was glad to got later on "the equivalent mundane raise scroll and throwing axes" After that the class went down hill they tried to balance for people that disliked the class and made it worse...
Hana Bora Tormite WM 2011 Retired
Kyra Fryar Tempurian Kensai WM 2012 Retired
Timon Colt Tormite Paladin 2014 Wanderer Sem-Retired
Aldred Ogden Tormite Paladin 2015 on&off
Theela Kenson Tormite Paladin 2018 Main

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:28 pm

rat0a wrote:Well my 2 cents are:
People that called a trap never understood what they were
Keep in mind I'm talking about GEN1

First of all there was a fair warning at the WIKI and character creation, basically
"If you like potions, UMD or scrolls, a bow to lure mobs, this is not a class for you"
If you expect to go to your favorite crypt, solo and come out victorious...ditto" learned the hard way
If you plan to go on a Epic hunt with a melee group with no "Walking wand" at your side (mage/cleric)on a high magic area...............
well.....ditto I learned to refuse to go on those fast!
If you see a dragon and hope to made the saves without warding from your caster buddy....well ditto.......I saw a dragon and had not wards I ran like there was no tomorrow! lol
All of things you're listing are the reason it was a trap path. A new player, or a player from another server without knowledge of how important all of those things were, or even what exactly the lack of magic/ranged weapons would mean. It was a trap class because new players could (And very frequently did) take it, not realizing how it was "arelith hard mode" as you've been calling it all thread.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

DarkPerin

Post by DarkPerin » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:23 pm

Not sure this counts as necroing or not . Just returned due to EE.

I didn't have any problems as a gen one. I even had to be levels, but am primarily a fighter. I knew what I was giving up. Haste was a cool aspect. I imagined my character as moving unusually fast and always being primed for battle. He didn't need to be like... wait. Let me read these scrolls first. Instead he was a warrior always ready.

This also goes with my roleplay of him being from thay. Thayan knights are meant to be ready for combat at any moment. They have wizards if they really need protection.

Haste was a fun flavor. And none of the items they have are useful... Not as long as someone can pray. If you're faithless, that is your characters problem. Having a god is an advantage. The setting is supposed to be that way.

Doesn't really seem like the path has flavor anymore. It's just... there. Weaknesses are fun.

StrykerMontgomery

Post by StrykerMontgomery » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:03 pm

My main character who i been casually playing on and off, since kensais coukdnt even use faise dead scrolls, was designed around both the old gift system and being a kensai (and I have come up with the appropiate RP as to why his abiltiies and restrictions changed). If i completely lost legacy and only had two major gifts, my strength based monk would really suck lol.

As it stands, this half kensai thing has kind of helped him as i only lost 2 ac and can drink potions which is a really good boon for a lower AC build. Id be really annoyed if legacy was completely takeb away as it has been not only heavily integrated into his build, but his backstory. Honestly the concept of having a completely solo character was foreign to me until these cookie cutter builds started to be a thing. (Summoning was the only obvious solo play but that reduces your exp intake, so it has always been more optimal to do group play.

I have actually found the writs making it harder for me to find a group since everyone around me gets to lvl 30 the time I get a few levels. And a lot of lower level people, for my newer characters, seem to want to just smash out their writs before logging off (and then you have to have the same writ, etc).
Currently played characters:
Have not played for over a year, thinking of returning again