Playing a monster race wrong, delete character?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

BegoneThoth

Playing a monster race wrong, delete character?

Post by BegoneThoth » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:52 am

http://wiki.arelith.com/Playing_any_UD_race
Goblins, Kobolds, Drow, Orogs, etc, are considered a "Monster Race". Part of the RP of being allowed (note the very careful phrasing) to continue to play a monster race is rping as if you are a monster, an unwelcome member in traditional surface society. If you can't do that, there's absolutely no rule that says I can't delete your character for bastardizing the role play of the entire server. In fact, ask around, I will do it without hesitation or remorse if I feel as if in any way your rp is corrupting the vision of RP for the server.

Bottom line is, it's ok to agree to disagree on the principle, just so there is an understanding that if/when we catch it, the consequences will be severe. Up to and including permanent removal of the character and/or player permanently, in extreme or repetitive instances"
It's followed by
"We've never outright deleted characters. We're not heartless, we're human and understanding."

-DM Titania
If it's not true, and you won't just get your character deleted for "corrupting the vision" of the server, can we get the wiki updated to reflect the info and remove the bit about deleting characters?

I would to it myself but am afraid to delete DM quotes and whatnot and don't actually know the policy here going off the wiki, im just pretty sure it's not character deletion, but still don't want to mess with a former owner's quote.
\

Black Wendigo

Re: Playing a monster race wrong, delete character?

Post by Black Wendigo » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:57 am

Actually it should stay as a warning as to how serious the team takes playing a monster race. Just because they have never done it doesn't mean that they won't ever do so. It's there as a maximum option, not a rule of thumb.

caldura firebourne

Post by caldura firebourne » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:26 am

well I assume a DM would warn the player of behavior that would result in deletion, and most players "I hope" are smart enough to realize they should not continue that behavior, and therefore don't need a deletion
Plays as the monster in your closet

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:00 am

1) they have to go quite far off the rails before we start to telling them that 'you're 'Doing it Wrong.' It's not a case of: 'ah in page 293 paragraph 2 subsection b it says that Drow can't have -long- sleeved tunics! So please delete your character!' It's more a case of, 'Why is your drow sunbathing in Cordor?'

2) We will give LOTS of warnings before taking this action. And 99% of players will generally Get The Message. Forceful deletion does occur, but it is extremely rare. I've been a DM for about three or four years now, and in all that time only once or twice have we ever forcefully deleted a character. So yeah - what the guys above me said really.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:13 pm

Interesting. Good to know.

So Titania is wrong then? Should the page be updated?
\

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:39 pm

She said we will 'never outright delete characters.'

And that's true.

It's highly unlikely we will go up to you and say, 'Your character is wrong, delete it.'

We might, after a long period of conversations, warnings, and other mechanical options - force someone to delete their character sure. But It'll never be, 'Outright.' It'll come after a significant period of warning.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Queen Titania
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Queen Titania » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:46 pm

I will probably remove the first paragraph though as it does come off a bit harsh and add Grumpy's wording here, as it fits the accuracy of what we are trying to say about at what point we delete characters. It has never happened without -lots- of warnings. The latest case was about four warnings about the -same- issues that were being ignored, over a period of months, as a reference.
Please don't feed my sister.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:41 pm

Sounds good to me.

Sorry if I came off as rude/disrespectful but the two paragraphs on the wiki seemed really contradictory and I wanted some clarification.
\

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:45 pm

I believe the original statement refers to asking around about character witnesses to say he would do it (and not feel bad about it) if he felt it best for the server's environment.

I'm personally okay with that notion, but YMMV. Not everyone can trust other people (especially on the internet) not to take advantage of that, and that's not unreasonable, I suppose.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Post by MalKalz » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:00 am

The first paragraph that is above was taken from Irongron’s post on monsterous races and settlement interactions, where he quoted Jjjerm’s stance.

Discord: @malkalz
Determine your Public CD Key here
Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.

Leshpar

Post by Leshpar » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:04 pm

I think it would be a good thing to talk about what people have done wrong in the past specifically that led to deletion. Don't mention names or anything, but what exactly did people do so terribly wrong that it led to deletion?

Black Wendigo

Post by Black Wendigo » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:09 am

I would like to avoid talking about what people have done wrong because that can easily end up being "you are playing wrong".

Each race has a short general description as to what Arelith expects from players. I think that is suffice. Let the DMS worry about what is or is not wrong on a case by case basis. From the above comments it is clear that they will work with you if you are willing to change your concept. When in doubt run a concept acros a DM.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:23 am

Leshpar wrote:I think it would be a good thing to talk about what people have done wrong in the past specifically that led to deletion.
With all due respect, I don't think that's neccesarly relevent.

Forced character deletion can happy for many reasons- even if it very rarely does. But in 99% of sitatuions there will be multiple warnings before hand.

Really the main thing that people did wrong in the past that lead to deletion was not listening to the DMS.

If we have a huge problem with the roleplay of your character, (and again, it's actually not very often we do have a problem with peoples roleplay to this extent. It's very rare in fact) then we'll take you aside and talk to you way, way, WAY before we even consider a forced -delete.
This too shall pass.

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:47 am

I testify to a looooong time ago being the 1% who was NOT warned and subject to a monster race PC deletion as punishment. That being said, I appealed to the Admins almost immediately, who gave redress to the situation, restored the character, and talked with me at length about the server intent in regard to monster races. Then they publically clarified and reinforced the policy.

All in all from the player perspective, the staff handled everything 100% professionally, even the original DM who said, "hey, if you don't like the answer, take it to the admins." Arelith has a chain of command. Even in the extremely rare event something should go sideways, you may always appeal to Caesar!
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

Black Wendigo

Post by Black Wendigo » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:53 am

Futher, therr is no need to get paranoid about your RP. If you play with good intent it will show and be handled professionaly. THe DMs seem to be really trying to respect our RP and us as people, so even if there is aproblem, it does not mean it has to be all doom and drama. (Cause it won't be)