Stopping items from stacking

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

KT28
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Stopping items from stacking

Post by KT28 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:17 am

Love all the merchants around Cordor that sell little trinkets and baubles - I feel like there's tons of opportunity there to make cool unique items. But there's one major problem - all of these items stack! Which means you can't reliably make RP items with unique descriptions, since new ones will simply stack with your old ones and lose their description.

Two questions: is there any way to stop this behavior, and if not, is there any way this behavior could be changed for certain items? I would LOVE if we could somehow choose a wide selection of unique-looking items that don't stack, for RP purposes (preferably including items that we do want to stack, like Glass Bottles and the like - I'd like the functional Glass Bottles to stack, but also have the option to obtain ones that do not stack for RP purposes). Can anyone help?
Last edited by KT28 on Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cataclysm of Iron

Re: Stopping Items From Stacking

Post by Cataclysm of Iron » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:18 am

In my experience, any item with a custom description will not stack with anything; irrespective of whether the other item has the same, different, or no custom description.

It's actually kinda annoying sometimes when you want to split and re-join stacks of e.g. customised potions.
Xerah wrote: People have a very weird possessive nature over a lot of things in Arelith.

KT28
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by KT28 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:19 am

Actually, just thought of my ideal solution - would it be possible to add a "Non-Stacking" property option to enchantment basins?

KT28
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by KT28 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:22 am

Cataclysm of Iron wrote:In my experience, any item with a custom description will not stack with anything; irrespective of whether the other item has the same, different, or no custom description.

It's actually kinda annoying sometimes when you want to split and re-join stacks of e.g. customised potions.
For clarity - as I understand it, an item enchanted with 20% weight reduction will not stack with an unenchanted item, nor will it stack with a 10% weight reduction item. But it will stack with another 20% weight reduction item. As far as I know, items with the same base type and the exact same enchantments will stack with each other. This makes it easy to make the odd custom item or two, but when you're dealing with lot of custom items that you want to look identical, stacking issues happen.