Rest Meter

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Maladus

Rest Meter

Post by Maladus » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:23 pm

I have been thinking a bit about the State system and one things I've noticed is that if you are a spell caster, there is generally never a reason to go above 50% rest because it prevents you from resting to regain spell slots unless you're in the designated rest areas. This leads to several more occasions where you need to rest more often just to prevent your character from losing stats.

Does anyone know why this 50% rest restriction was originally put into place? What effects would it have on the server if this restriction were to be removed?

Cortex

Re: Rest Meter

Post by Cortex » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:31 pm

Casters would become very liberal with resting.
:)

Maladus

Post by Maladus » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:33 pm

But they already can as long as they stay below 50%.

Cataclysm of Iron

Post by Cataclysm of Iron » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:51 pm

Serious point: does anyone play a caster and ever find themselves rest-capped, or needing to rest for spell slots so often during adventuring that they end the trip on higher rest than they start?

Like... my last main was an epic wizard, my current main is a teens druid, and on both I've found when I come back from a trip I usually have to double-rest to get it up to acceptable levels. Pretty much the only time I am rest-capped is if I get my spell/spellbook selection wrong and have to re-rest.

I find it hard to imagine how you end up needing so many rests unless you're relentlessly circle-grinding - am I wrong?
Xerah wrote: People have a very weird possessive nature over a lot of things in Arelith.

Maladus

Post by Maladus » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:07 pm

It’s just annoying when you’re RPing and have to rest in the middle of it because your character is super exhausted.

ForgottenBhaal

Post by ForgottenBhaal » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:09 pm

Coffe.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:05 am

This was discussed at least once last month. Let's not again, yeah?

ForgottenBhaal

Post by ForgottenBhaal » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:08 am

Honestly though, the main reason the rest meter is there is to stop wizards from chain-resting and keep having their spells up constantly. Perhaps it could be removed, but then I'd almost be for making it so that you can only rest once every 16 IC hours. :)

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:56 am

Just put rest on a cooldown based on level instead, less obnoxious, still restricts spell-spam and rest-spam

Iceborn

Post by Iceborn » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:35 am

Ork wrote:This was discussed at least once last month. Let's not again, yeah?
Actually I would.
I still despise the state system. I've never seen it add anything to the game but make things annoying.
Casters are all alcoholics. Most people carry coffee, specially str-based characters that can afford to carry the load. Hunger and thirst add really... nothing.

At this point I'd be just in favor to removing most of the system and replacing Rest with a 15 minutes cool down period.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:51 am

Iceborn wrote:Actually I would.
I still despise the state system. I've never seen it add anything to the game but make things annoying.
Casters are all alcoholics. Most people carry coffee, specially str-based characters that can afford to carry the load. Hunger and thirst add really... nothing.

At this point I'd be just in favor to removing most of the system and replacing Rest with a 15 minutes cool down period.
This ++. Cooldowns actually solve so many basic problems of NWN and Arelith is implementing these appropriately in so many instances.
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:32 am

If I was building it from scratch, I'd make it something like:
Inns and taverns: unlimited resting (thinking crafters here mostly)
Normal wilderness areas and dungeons: every 30-60 minutes
Particularly dangerous wilderness areas and dungeons: no resting

This is just my little pet peeve, and I know it doesn't bother others as much, but I absolutely hate it when spellcasters in the group try to nova every group and then wind up having to rest 3 times through a normal dungeon. The break in the action for rest+rebuff is just a nightmare to me--I'd far rather have a spellcaster who is conserving their spells for the big battle than one who is resting every 15 minutes.

Add -shelter as a spell perk for ESF: evocation (evocation is so much more than blasting, you guys!), which would create a small zone that would make a wilderness area act like an inn/tavern (unlimited resting) or a dangerous area act like a normal wilderness area (you can rest if your cooldown timer is up).

This is a little more hardcore on casters than some would like, to be sure, but it's how I would prefer it (even when I play casters).

azrael_athing

Post by azrael_athing » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:34 am

Lorkas wrote:If I was building it from scratch, I'd make it something like:
Inns and taverns: unlimited resting (thinking crafters here mostly)
Normal wilderness areas and dungeons: every 30-60 minutes
Particularly dangerous wilderness areas and dungeons: no resting

This is just my little pet peeve, and I know it doesn't bother others as much, but I absolutely hate it when spellcasters in the group try to nova every group and then wind up having to rest 3 times through a normal dungeon. The break in the action for rest+rebuff is just a nightmare to me--I'd far rather have a spellcaster who is conserving their spells for the big battle than one who is resting every 15 minutes.

Add -shelter as a spell perk for ESF: evocation (evocation is so much more than blasting, you guys!), which would create a small zone that would make a wilderness area act like an inn/tavern (unlimited resting) or a dangerous area act like a normal wilderness area (you can rest if your cooldown timer is up).

This is a little more hardcore on casters than some would like, to be sure, but it's how I would prefer it (even when I play casters).
This++

Also:
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/M ... nt_mansion

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:30 pm

I was thinking of Leomund's Tiny Hut, which is an evocation at level 3 bard/sorc/wiz in 3e (rather than a conjuration, which many of the other shelter-creating spells, like Mordenkainen's magnificent mansion, are).

ForgottenBhaal

Post by ForgottenBhaal » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:00 pm

I personally don't think that wizards/sorcerers need more buffs/cookies. Would be nice for some more stuff for the mundies though.

Iceborn

Post by Iceborn » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:40 pm

It's not so much about casters getting a cookie as the rest of the server moving on from a very obsolete system.

There was a lot of potential in the system that was never exploited. It's not dynamic and developed enough to be an actual narrative or mechanical tool, not even for the sake of immersion. In fact, if the purpose of the state system was to help one to immerse further, it is doing exactly the opposite.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

Maladus

Post by Maladus » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:14 am

On a server I played on ages ago there were designated rest areas scattered around the wilderness and I don’t think you could rest in dungeons at all. I’m not saying we should adopt this system fully, but it got me thinking about what could be done to add some ‘survival skills’ into the module. Maybe you need to carry a tent and/or a sleeping roll with you and build a fire somewhere out in the wilderness to rest. Putting down a fire would essentially make it a free rest area but the same risks are there if you are resting solo (can be ambushed if resting alone).

Perhaps you can only carry a set number of ‘campfire kits’ per person (one or two per person maybe) and it is removed upon use. Make these freely available for purchase like healing kits and add them to one of the professions so that you can actually be a survivalist. This idea may introduce something that is too annoying for what it’s worth but I’m just spitballing here.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:42 pm

I would be saddened to see my PC's coffee market decimated, but as a player, I would welcome the elimination of the status system.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Orian_666

Post by Orian_666 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:51 pm

I like all these ideas, CD's based on where you are, but add cooldowns to certain ESF abilities like we have with -yoink so you can't just -scry constantly as long as you're in an Inn. (few minutes depending on what one it is)
I also like the idea of adding a command for spellcasters to create rest safe zones (maybe add some sort of material component beyond the spell components themselves so that it actually costs them something), but having a campset in place too for mundanes to carry around and have a single use area to rest safely.
It'd remove the pain in the Snuggybear that is the current rest system, and create actual RP situations.

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:31 pm

I don't think Arelith is ready for a CD rest system. There's currently way too many bugs, and thankfully I can just drink some wine and force a wizard nap to correct them.

Maybe one day.
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

rookie

Post by rookie » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:02 pm

I'd be happy with a simple change like rest having a minimum of 0%, it hurts casters a bit as they can't wait to get down to -9.9% (or lower juggling NEP) for a bit of extra resting but removes the need to rest mid conversation.

I've just never had a situation where someone saying "I've got to tie my shoe, one moment" has led to me feeling excited by the RP opportunity presenting itself there.