Regular tournaments in Cordor

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

telmarael

Regular tournaments in Cordor

Post by telmarael » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:11 am

Durvayas wrote: As an aside, for the life of me, I can't remember the last time I heard IC or OOC that the cordor arena was being used. It is enormous, taking up a full third or so of the city itself, and feels kinda really out of place in a city where slavery is banned.(A crazy idea might be turning it into a giant open air market/forum for royal announcements, etc.) From a design standpoint, I'm not sure why its there to be honest.
I have been thinking about the very same thing tonight :D Noble-, government- or self-sponsored tournaments between meleers, casters and all kinds of folk, going in a format of Bo3. We've had the same kind of interraction on the other server, and hell, it was so fun! I miss it a lot!!! They were run by DMs and everyone could participate to get a small nice bonus, but here, due to the higher population of the server some limitations could be placed on entering the competition. I know that such thing should've probably been proposed IC to the current Chancelor, but I've rolled my char who knew him :D Might be somthing like a monthly event, with a winner receiving the title "Champion of blah-blah-blah", a potential for streaming the thing on really any platform and getting additional attention to the project ;)
- "I would rather not touch this shiny pile of gold", said her conscience
*sounds of explosion*

Teshil

Re: Regular tournaments in Cordor

Post by Teshil » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:15 am

Sounds like tons of fun!

Cybernet21

Post by Cybernet21 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:12 pm

Well tournaments do happen every now and then(like once every 6 months),but i think regular tournaments shouldnt be a DM thing but run by the players that are on the governement so yeah kinda better to propose this IC. I agree that it would fun and awesome,but being organized by the PC governement makes it even more so,you could just make a new character and propose that ;)

I even think the PC governement has someone behind that kind of stuff (entertainement/public affairs minister or something) that accepts suggestions but who it is,that's for IC ;)
My family were all knights,but none protected those who cannot fight for themselves.They all cared about their noble status more than anything else.I would be a true knight,i would train on the ways of the paladin -Arcavius Ryde

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:48 pm

Happy to help! :P
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:32 pm

I love tournaments, I held tournaments with my characters before, but there are several complications with holding a tournament that meets the "requirements". It has to be fun, inclusive, and attractive.

Whenever I designed my tournaments, I'd think about the following points:

•Attracting people: People need incentive to join, you won't get many people without a prize. This can be annoying because more often than not you'll need to come up with prizes from your own pocket, sometimes get rich PCs to help sponsor too. An entrance fee to essentially create the prize (say, every participant pays 5.000, winner takes all) while theoritically sound, will keep people who are IC/OOC insecure of their "peeveepee" skills away.

•Date: Tournaments take a while, so you need to find a good day and hour where most people are able to participate, a friday, saturday or sunday in a broad GMT.

•Format: Depending on the number of people, a tournament can be short and boring, or... long and boring. Whenever I ran a tournament, I'd do elimination when there were many people (aka if you lose, you're out, other people proceed to fight the winners of other duels), and with less people, I do score format (where everyone fights everyone at least once, the person with most victories wins). Single duels or best of three is also a choice, dependant on the number of people and format.

•Level Range: Decide on a level range you want to hold the tournament for, it's usually easy enough to divide it between non-epic and epic, using IC terms like "warrior" and "legend" categories and explaining to people IC/OOC as required.

•Rules: You can create fun rules, fair rules, or even unfair rules if you want to rig the tournament. This grows a lot more complicated in magic fights and when warding is involved, and people will have OOC opinions of what is fair, so if you want fair, do what you think think is fair IC. Keep in mind that the rules may or not attract or keep people away too, if there is a "no magic, no potions, no nothing just brawl" rule, expect only kensai barbarians to sign up.

•Sign up board: Place a message board where people will see it and not miss it, where they can sign up. This gives you an idea of how many people will show up, and you can also offer people who sign up a minor benefit, to encourage them signing up as opposed to spontaenously joining. Even if it's just being able to join a bit late or a tiny boon in the rules.
:)

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:21 am

If you want to help with the prize money, you should charge admission to see it. A good 500gp a head to spectate will cover the prize easy. I've never seen a real tournament happen that didn't have at least 12 PCs spectating. Easy 6k right there.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)